Ship Tour While in Port

Sunprince

We will be on the Wind in Antigua the same day as the Spirit is in port (likely side by side). Could someone kindly advise how we can arrange for a brief tour and perhaps lunch on the Spirit. We have not sailed on the Spirit before and thought this might be an easy way to check out the ship to decide if we want to cruise on her in the future. Is it best for me to contact my TA to arrange this or should I call SS directly?

Many Thanks

From similar experience many years ago we approached SS well before cruise and completed appropriate paperwork and it worked.Not sure about 2019 as Security issues are more in play than they were in the past and much will depend on the Port Authority in question as to whether SS can arrange things for you.Hope it works out but either way enjoy your cruise on our favourite Wind which we join in London in May.

Thanks Brimary for your response.

I called SS today and they told me my TA needed to call “Sales”. I didn’t want to bother him but he is an excellent TA and within an hour he called SS and sent me the form required for a ship visit.  The form is designed for hosting outside guests while on board, not for visiting another ship. So we will see if we are successful. The form indicates a 45 day advance request, since we are 2 weeks out we may be too late.  Oddly enough, all the info the form requests (other than drivers licence number), we have already provided to SS and is on file with them.

Sharing this so others know what to expect when requesting a ship tour. 

On 2/22/2019 at 10:45 AM, Sunprince said:

We will be on the Wind in Antigua the same day as the Spirit is in port (likely side by side). Could someone kindly advise how we can arrange for a brief tour and perhaps lunch on the Spirit. We have not sailed on the Spirit before and thought this might be an easy way to check out the ship to decide if we want to cruise on her in the future. Is it best for me to contact my TA to arrange this or should I call SS directly?

Many Thanks

A few years ago we were on the Spirit, docked at Rhodes, and the Wind docked near us.  We simply walked to the Wind, showed our card from the Spirit and asked if we could wander through the Wind.  They said of course and simply kept our Spirit card until we finished.  It was no problem at all and required no advance notice.  We did not ask for a meal or tour, however.  

1 minute ago, Wellseasoned said:

A few years ago we were on the Spirit, docked at Rhodes, and the Wind docked near us.  We simply walked to the Wind, showed our card from the Spirit and asked if we could wander through the Wind.  They said of course and simply kept our Spirit card until we finished.  It was no problem at all and required no advance notice.  We did not ask for a meal or tour, however.  

Great that this ship tour worked well.  In 2010 while in Tromso, Norway, the Silver Cloud was docked next to their explorer ship.  We asked our ship people and they set-up for us getting a tour of this type of expedition ship.  It was nice see this type of sailing craft and how Silversea had it set-up.   The secret?  Always ask and generally SS will try to be accommodating. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 233,880 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Over Christmas we were on the Spirit docked behind the Wind.  The evening before,  Rico, the CD, announced after the show that we were all welcome to go aboard the Wind and just needed to show our ships pass.  We followed each other for two days and it was the same in the other ports.  They were very welcoming and we had Wind visitors on the Spirit too.  I think this is a normal occurrence,  so go ahead and enjoy the Spirit, she's a lovely ship.

MM

Thank you everyone for your response, if the prearrangement does not work out, we will try the casual, walk on option when we are there. We do not need any special tour or attention, just access (and possibly lunch) on the Spirit while in Antigua.  

I wouldn't bother with the prearrangement unless you want to - I've been on a ship in port with another SS ship several times recently and each time we have been told that we were welcome to visit using just our keycard.

Do visit the Spirit - she's well worth seeing - she's my favorite ship both before and after the stretch.

If it's Antigua where there's only two piers, you might even be docked on either side of the same pier!