CHICAGOPAUL - LIVE!!!!!! CRUISE BLOG - The EDGE February 24th!

chicagopaul

Good Morning Everyone! Thank you for all the well wishes! The weather is beautiful today. I was worried looking at the forecast a few days ago but it turned out very well and hopefully it keeps up throughout sail away today. I'm currently sitting on the balcony looking out at the ocean (picture to come momentarily) and I wanted to take this quick time to review dinner last night as well as the hotel. 

Last night we went to dinner with our friends Wayne and Sal. Just like our friends Bob and Kathy (Mr and Mrs Dewars) we were practically scolded when we tried to pay at dinner. I suppose southern Florida hospitality is definitely alive and well! We had plans to meet Wayne and Sal at their place around 6:30pm. We were going to just take an Uber but given the pride parade had the A1A closed down and some other streets we decided to walk for a bit then take an uber. However as we were walking down Las Olas we were enjoying the view of the homes and it was such a beautiful night we decided to keep on walking. We walked a whole two miles to their home. It was good exercise! 

We ended up eating dinner at this Japanese fusion resturant right by their home. I forget the name of it but it was off of 5th and Las Olas. Sal picked all the food and we ate family style. It was excellent! We had everything from shrimp to steak to seabags. Just like earlier in the day at lunch we enjoyed some drinks before as well and toured their building. 

We made it back to the hotel just before midnight and went to bed fairly quickly. I had a great solid sleep and feel perfectly refreshed this morning. 

Let's review The Ritz Carlton quickly. We're in room 1006. We had booked a regular room with a view of the intercostal. We ended up with a room with a view of the ocean and the intercostal. It is a handicap accessible room so I think the hall way is a bit larger as is the bathroom in some areas, but overall I think it is a pretty standard room. The space is great, the balcony and view are fantastic (photos will be posted shortly). 

Check in process was easy and hassle free. All bags removed by the bell staff, placed on a cart, and the bellhop waited with us at check in as we were also going to give him our carry on bags after check in (since I needed a few things from there). The room was not ready but that was expected given the early hour. It was ready by 12:30. 

We didn't use any of the facilities here since we were meeting friends. The room is very clean. While the hotel is not brand new and some of the furniture has some slight wear to it, the room is very clean. Small things like the caulking and grout in the bathroom look like it was just redone yesterday. To me it's those areas that I look at in a hotel to see the true upkeep. Bedding was very comfortable. Turn down service was completed and ready for us when we returned from dinner. Bottles of water on the night stands provided (along with a cookie). The closet lights turn on automatically when door is opened. Bell hop delivered luggage to room within 2 minutes of us grabbing keys once our room was ready. He made sure we knew where everything was in the room and made sure we didn't need anything else. When we checked in we were walked to the elevator by the front desk staff. Wished a good evening when returned at midnight. The above are all small items, but these are items that should always be the case when you stay at a Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, etc. They did a great job, no complaints. Is it worth the $450 or $500 per night when we barely used the hotel? That is up to you. For me personally on this trip, yes. I wanted a nice place where I didn't have to worry about anything. Where if I forgot something or needed something I could make a phone call and it would be taken care of. I wish we had the opportunity to check out the pool area, but there are only so many hours in the day. 

Now we are going to finish packing up. I'll make a couple quick calls, send out some e-mails, and it is off to the port to catch the Celebrity Edge and see our friends Dawn and Lisa! 

Yesterday was truly a wonderful day. We caught up with great friends, had great food, drinks. Today the sun in shining, we are boarding a ship we've anticipated for two years, and we're so excited to see Dawn and Lisa since it's been way too long since we've seen them and cruised with them. 

A perfect way to sum up how I feel this morning after our day yesterday and knowing what is to come in the next week is this saying that I've seen recently and I really love, but it rings so true this morning as I'm sipping my coffee. It has nothing to do with the hotel I'm staying at or the ship we're about to go on, but about it's about the people. 

"I hope there are days when your coffee tastes like magic, your playlist makes you dance, strangers make you smile, and the night and morning sky touches your soul. I hope there are days when you fall in love with being alive."

Thanks again for following along and I can't wait to show you the Edge! Below I will post some photos! 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, chicagopaul said:

"I hope there are days when your coffee tastes like magic, your playlist makes you dance, strangers make you smile, and the night and morning sky touches your soul. I hope there are days when you fall in love with being alive."

Wonderful words to live by.    Left me with a big smile on my face.

Bon voyage!

Joe

• Like 1

We are on board. We loved the check in process. It was so easy. Boarding started right around 10:30am believe it or not. We had a little room issue where we were switched, technically upgraded, without our knowledge. I’ll explain later. Not a big deal.

So far I’m still getting my feel for the ship but I’m loving the retreat area. Running into some familiar faces. Will post more shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

It's weird, but when I purchased the unlimited package for one device last week, she said "with 10% off for pre-purchase and 35% off for Elite Plus, it will be $146."  I checked and she took 35% off from the 10% off price  -$249 minus $25 (10%)= $224 minus $78 (35%) = $146.  Maybe mine was a mistake, but might be worth it to try again, unless Paul reports some great onboard deals.🙂

Yes, I called again and this is what I was quoted (168 with select discount). Since both need the internet,  it makes more sense now to upgrade to go best. 

On 2/23/2019 at 8:57 AM, vtcruising said:

Here are a few threads that may answer your questions prior to your cruise (not sure if you have been following the Edge threads):🙂

The first post in this thread will outline the Retreat (and Edge Suite Life) as first rolled out - the end of the thread will give you some of the feedback after the ship was launched (some surprises).

This one discusses the Edge Sky Suites (again the end of the thread will have info from those who have sailed in Edge sky suites):

This thread will give you the Luminae menus for 7 days:

Edge Dining Venues:

This may help with explaining the dining venues

Paul and Edward, have a great cruise!!🙂

VTcruising

Thank you for gathering all this information for me. I had not been following the Edge threads but I am now. I have read every line and studied every  menu posted. I am ready to go.

Just one question: is there a possibility that The Retreat might include a bar and serve alcoholic beverages or just beer and wine? Did I miss something?    

Edited by Fighterone

Crusingxpert We just disembarked this morning.  Our Celebrity Suite still had a rocking chair but they were gone from all the sky suites.  The rocking chairs and the very small round table are being replaced with a cocktail table. We saw them being carried down the corridor yesterday.

52 minutes ago, chicagopaul said:

We are on board. We loved the check in process. It was so easy. Boarding started right around 10:30am believe it or not. We had a little room issue where we were switched, technically upgraded, without our knowledge. I’ll explain later. Not a big deal.

So far I’m still getting my feel for the ship but I’m loving the retreat area. Running into some familiar faces. Will post more shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update.

Is Raw on 5 open during embarkation?

Are you referring to the Retreat Lounge or Retreat Pool Deck? Do they ask you to wait there while the staterooms are being readied. 

Can't wait to hear about your upgrade! S2, S1? 

15 minutes ago, Fighterone said:

VTcruising

Thank you for gathering all this information for me. I had not been following the Edge threads but I am now. I have read every line and studied every  menu posted. I am ready to go.

Just one question: is there a possibility that The Retreat might include a bar and serve alcoholic beverages or just beer and wine? Did I miss something?    

The Retreat Lounge does not have a free standing bar, but there is excellent bar service (beer, wine, cocktails - and it is the good stuff 🙂). The staff make their way around the room taking good care of everyone (drinks are made behind closed doors) - all complimentary. There is a nice pool bar up the stairs (or elevator) from the Lounge on the Retreat Sundeck (need to show Sea Pass as it is not complimentary, though most will have a Premium Package in a suite -unless that has changed in the last few weeks). 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

11 minutes ago, 4supermom said:

Crusingxpert We just disembarked this morning.  Our Celebrity Suite still had a rocking chair but they were gone from all the sky suites.  The rocking chairs and the very small round table are being replaced with a cocktail table. We saw them being carried down the corridor yesterday.

Yay! What did the coffee tables look like?

8 minutes ago, 4supermom said:

The tables were grey wood like (not sure if they are wood as we saw them in passing) square coffee tables with a leg in each corner, not a square block. Priscilla was very excited when she saw them.

Thanks! Of course they are grey!!  😉 I'm sure that Priscilla was very excited - the lack of a table has been difficult for the butlers (and her). Sorry, one more question: could you tell how tall the coffee tables were? Just wondering about Room Service on them - hopefully not too low (but happy to hear that they have any coffee table 🙂). Maybe Paul will get a picture of his.

Edited by vtcruising

47 minutes ago, 4supermom said:

Thank you for posting.

vtcruising posted a flyer on internet rates on Edge a couple weeks ago.   On the flyer they had a new Surf Internet Rate shown at about 1/2 the price of a regular rate.   Possibly Paul can get some information on it.

It might work out well for those that just want social media, light internet, text and e-mail.

2030595641_InternetPricingEdge.jpg.5e3a9987486083165576d61c31f12b7e.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

vtcruising posted a flyer on internet rates on Edge a couple weeks ago.   On the flyer they had a new Surf Internet Rate shown at about 1/2 the price of a regular rate.   Possibly Paul can get some information on it.

It might work out well for those that just want social media, light internet, text and e-mail.

2030595641_InternetPricingEdge.jpg.5e3a9987486083165576d61c31f12b7e.jpg

Thanks! I was looking for that...🙂

15 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks! I was looking for that...🙂

I assume the 1 hr package is designed  for printing a boarding pass..  Most good resorts will do that as a courtesy and so should X.

. just my opinion.

• Like 3