Milford Sound - Info, Please

Can anyone tell me what I will likely see on a cruise that goes to or through Milford Sound?  Does the cruise ship transit the most scenic part of the Sound, or does it just go a short way in and then turn around?  I see a lot of small boats stationed near the part of land that holds the airport, but are those just for people who are visiting by land rather than sea?  I can't imagine a cruise ship would dock and take people on small boats, but I don't know how large or deep the Sound is, so I'm really clueless about what to expect on that day of the cruise.  

If it makes any difference, we are on a small/large cruise ship, Oceania Regatta.

When our cruise ship, the Sea Princess, visited Milford Sound, it just went in  halfway, then turned around and cruised out.  If your   cruise description is scenic sailing and not port stop, it's not going to stop anywhere in Milford Sound. I doubt a ship that big could dock in Milford Sound.

I'm not going to tell you what you will see in Milford Sound because that will spoil the impact of the sheer beauty of Milford. What I will tell you is to be up on deck, portside and forward, before the ship enters the sound. 

Look out for seals on Seal Rock shortly after entering the sound. You might also see the resident pod of dolphins.

Your ship should go most of the way into the sound and spend some time slowly turning so everyone gets good views. You might even get close to one of the major waterfalls there since you're on a smaller ship. Make sure you have a good rain  jacket just in case.

If you're really lucky it will have rained a few hours before you enter the sound but not while you're there, but Milford is gorgeous either way. I'd be very surprised if you don't enjoy your visit to a very special part of NZ. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We were on the ovation,5th biggest ship in the world ,a month ago.

I f the weather is very bad they can cancel it.

we went into Milford almost to the airport,I thought we were a bit close.

The ship turned around and come about a third the way out to a big water fall and did a 360 turn.

After  Milford we did two other sounds dusky and doubtful sounds.which are sail through passages,no turns.

The ship takes on a pilot and a national park expert that does a commentary and a presentation in the theatre.

It truly is a once in a life trip ,right up there with Alaska and Norway.

Try to get a cabin on the land side.

Thanks to the three of you for this information, and thanks to anyone else who provides their experiences in the future.  I will definitely be up early, before we go into the sound.  We've booked an inside cabin, but I'm used to going outside to see what is going on, and to get a view on both sides of the ship at the same time.  I've been to one of the fjords in Norway, and cruised a bit in Alaska, but now it's time to see what New Zealand has to offer!

I know weather can be very variable, but would anyone know:  We will be there mid-January.  Is that a time when there are waterfalls, or by then will most of the water be gone due to it being your summer season?  Is January a particularly drizzly month in the fjord? 

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I know weather can be very variable, but would anyone know:  We will be there mid-January.  Is that a time when there are waterfalls, or by then will most of the water be gone due to it being your summer season?  Is January a particularly drizzly month in the fjord? 

It rains in Milford Sound year-round. January may actually be the wettest month of the year - see the figures in the table at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_Sound#Climate

I also found a more narrative description at https://www.cruisemilfordnz.com/milford-sound-information/milford-sound-weather-when-is-the-best-time-to-visit/

6 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

No way to tell but the months around Christmas are supposed to the best.

we were there a couple of Christmas ago and it snowed overnight on the alps.

• 2 weeks later...