What do the Obstructed views look like ?

Host Hattie

Thanks to bluemarble for putting this together .....

What do the obstructed balconies look like?

As of February 2019, information about the views from obstructed balconies is non-existent on the US FAQ and is confined to only the Queen Victoria on the UK FAQ. Here are details showing the views from the obstructed balconies on each ship.

What do the obstructed views look like on Queen Mary 2?

Please click on the stateroom numbers below to see the view from the selected stateroom. Views from staterooms on the opposite side of the ship are similar to those listed below.

8014 - A life boat is visible to the left of the balcony.

8016 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8018 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8020 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to most of the view.

8022 - Life boats cause a major obstruction to most the view.

8024 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8026 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8028 - Life boats cause a major obstruction to most the view.

8030 - Life boats cause a major obstruction to most the view.

8032 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8034 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8036 - Safety equipment and a life boat cause an obstruction to most the view.

8038 - Life boats cause a major obstruction to most the view.

8040 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8042 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8044 - Safety equipment and a life boat cause an obstruction to most the view.

8046 - A life boat Life boats cause an obstruction to the view.

8048 - A life boat Life boats cause an obstruction to the view.

8050 - Life boats on either side of the balcony cause an obstruction to the view.

8052 - Safety equipment and a life boat Life boats cause an obstruction to most the view.

8054 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8056 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8060 - A tender and some safety equipment cause an obstruction to most of the view.

8062 - A tender causes an obstruction to majority of the view.

8066 - A tender and some safety equipment cause an obstruction to most of the view.

8068 - Tenders on either side of the balcony obscure most of the view.

8070 - A tender and some safety equipment cause an obstruction to most of the view.

8072 - A tender causes an obstruction to majority of the view.

8074 - A tender causes an obstruction to majority of the view.

8076 - A tender and some safety equipment cause an obstruction to most of the view.

8078 - A tender and some safety equipment cause an obstruction to most of the view.

8080 - A tender causes an obstruction to majority of the view.

8082 - A tender causes an obstruction to majority of the view.

8084 - A tender causes an obstruction to majority of the view.

8086 - Tenders at either side of the balcony and safety equipment obstruct most of the view.

8088 - A tender and some safety equipment cause an obstruction to most of the view.

8090 - A tender causes an obstruction to majority of the view.

8092 - A tender causes an obstruction to majority of the view.

8094 - A tender and some safety equipment cause an obstruction to most of the view.

8098 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8100 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8102 - Safety equipment and a life boat cause an obstruction to most the view.

8106 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8108 - A life boat causes a major obstruction to the view.

8110 - Safety equipment and a life boat cause an obstruction around half of the view.

Obstructed view staterooms are classed as DB, DC or DF grades, which can be found on Deck 8.

What do the obstructed views look like on Queen Elizabeth?

To see the views from various staterooms, please click on the links below. Staterooms on the starboard side of the ship have very similar views.

4002 - This is a metal fronted balcony. Staterooms 4004 through to 4042 are similar to this.

4054 - Life boats are visible when looking towards the rear of the ship from the balcony.

4055 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower half of the view.

4056 - A life boat and ship structure obscure the view considerably.

4057 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower half of the view.

4058 - A life boat fully obstructs the lower half of the view.

4059 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower half of the view.

4060 - A life boat fully obstructs the lower half of the view.

4061 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower half of the view.

4062 - A life boat and ship structure obscure the view considerably.

4063 - A life boat and ship structure obscure the view considerably.

4064 - A life boat and ship structure obscure the view considerably.

4065 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower half of the view.

4066 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower half of view.

4067 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower half of the view.

4068 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower half of view.

4069 - A life boat  and ship structure  obscure the view considerably.

4070 - A life boat  and ship structure obscure the view considerably.

4071 - A life boat and ship structure obscure the view considerably.

4073 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower part of the view.

4074 - A life boat and ship structure obscure the view considerably.

4075 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower part of the view.

4076 - A life boat fully obstructs the lower half of the view.

4077 - A life boat fully obstruct majority of the view.

4078 - A life boat fully obstructs the lower half of the view.

4079 - A life boat and ship structure obscure the view considerably.

4080 - A life boat obstructs a majority of the view.

4081 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower part of the view.

4082 - Ship structure and safety equipment obstructs a majority of the view.

4083 - A life boat fully obstruct the lower part of the view.

4085 - A life boat fully obstructs the lower half of the view

4086 - A life boat fully obstructs the lower half of the view.

4087 - A life boat and ship structure obstructs the view considerably

4088 - A life boat obstructs a majority of the view.

4092 - Life boats are visible when looking towards the front of the ship from the balcony.

4103 - Although looking forward, the view is unobstructed, looking right (towards aft of the ship) safety equipment and tenders block the view. Additionally, the window view is obstructed.

4108 - Although looking forward, the view is unobstructed, looking left (towards aft of the ship) safety equipment and tenders block the view. Additionally, the window view is obstructed.

4110 - A tender and some safety equipment obscures a majority of the view.

4112 - A tender fully obstructs the view from this stateroom.

4114 - A tender fully obstructs the view from this stateroom.

4116 - A tender and some safety equipment obscure almost all of the view.

4118 - Safety equipment obscures a majority of the view.

4120 - A tender and some safety equipment obscures a majority of the view.

4122 - A tender fully obstructs the view from this stateroom.

4124 - A tender obscures a majority of the view from this stateroom.

4126 - A tender and ship structure obscure a majority of the view.

4128 - A tender and ship structure obscure a majority of the view.

4130 - A tender obscures a majority of the view from this stateroom.

4132 - A tender fully obstructs the view from this stateroom.

4134 - A tender obscures a majority of the view from this stateroom.

4136 - A tender and some safety equipment obscure almost all of the view.

4138 - A life boat and some safety equipment obscure almost all of the view.

4140 - A life boat obscures the lower half of the view.

4142 - A life boat obscures more than half of the view.

4144 - A life boat and some safety equipment obscure most of the view.

5112 - Safety equipment from the deck below can be seen through the balcony glass.

5114 - A life boat on the deck below can be seen through the balcony glass.

5116 - A life boat on the deck below can be seen through the balcony glass.

5118 - Safety equipment from the deck below can be seen through the balcony glass.

5120 - Safety equipment from the deck below can be seen through the balcony glass.

5122 - Safety equipment from the deck below can be seen through the balcony glass.

5128 - Safety equipment from the deck below can be seen through the balcony glass.

5130 - Safety equipment from the deck below can be seen through the balcony glass.

5136 - Safety equipment from the deck below can be seen through the balcony glass.

5138 - Safety equipment from the deck below can be seen through the balcony glass.

Obstructed view staterooms are classed as CA or CB (balcony) or FB or FC (ocean view) grades, which can be found on either decks 4 or 5.

What do the obstructed views look like on Queen Victoria?

The pictures below are all port side staterooms as the opposite starboard staterooms will have a mirror view of the obstruction. For example, for the obstruction of 4057, please see 4058.

Please click on the link to see a picture of the view:

4058 - Life boat

4060 - Life boat

4062 - Life boat and equipment

4064 - Life boat and equipment

4065 - Life boat

4066 - Life boat

4067 - Life boat

4068 - Life boat

4070 - Life boat

4074 - Life boat and equipment

4076 - Life boat

4078 - Life boat

4080 - Life boat

4082 - Life boat

4084 - Life boat and structure

4086 - Life boat

4088 - Life boat

4103 - Although looking forward, the view is unobstructed, looking right (towards aft of the ship) safety equipment and tenders block the view. Additionally, there is an obstruction to the window view.

4108 (Similar to above) - Although looking forward, the view is unobstructed, looking left (towards aft of the ship) safety equipment and tenders block the view. Additionally, there is an obstruction to the window view.

4110 - Tender boat and structure

4112 - Tender boat

4114 - Tender boat

4116 - Tender boat

4118 - Tender boat equipment

4120 - Tender boat

4122 - Tender boat

4124 - Tender boat

4126 - Tender boat and equipment

4128 - Tender boat and equipment

4130 - Tender boat

4132 - Tender boat

4134 - Tender boat

4136 - Tender boat and equipment

4138 - Life boat

4140 - Life boat

4142 - Life boat

4144 - Life boat and equipment

5107 - Life boat and equipment

5112 - Life boat equipment

5114 - Life boat equipment

5116 - Life boat equipment

5118 - Life boat equipment

5122 - Life boat equipment

5128 - Life boat equipment

5130 - Life boat equipment

5136 - Life boat equipment

5138 - Life boat equipment

Obstructed view staterooms are classed as CA/CB (balcony) or FB/FC (ocean view) grades, which can be found on either decks 4 or 5.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • We are in cabin 8014 on Qm2 Nov 9 across the Atlantic and back from nyc. Figured wouldn’t be spending  a lot of time on the balcony, but would allow fresh air if needed and...A bit more light compared to sheltered and was less expensive .

anyone had this room and have feedback to give?

On 4/15/2019 at 1:50 PM, Radar boomer said:
  • We are in cabin 8014 on Qm2 Nov 9 across the Atlantic and back from nyc. Figured wouldn’t be spending  a lot of time on the balcony, but would allow fresh air if needed and...A bit more light compared to sheltered and was less expensive .

Look at the picture of 8014 provided by OP.  It seems to be the least obstructed, so you should be OK.   I personally prefer the sheltered balconies on lower decks: you are closer to the sea, the overall view is better and the fare is less.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 3:07 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Look at the picture of 8014 provided by OP.  It seems to be the least obstructed, so you should be OK.   I personally prefer the sheltered balconies on lower decks: you are closer to the sea, the overall view is better and the fare is less.

Hi, 

I also like the sheltered balconies (particularly for crossings). Last week, I enjoyed my sheltered balcony on Deck 5. These balconies are fairly well protected from the weather and wind.

Chuck

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:50 PM, Radar boomer said:

Hi

I have had 8014 a couple of times and it's hardly obstructed at all. There is a lifeboat to the left which is in front of the cabin next door but looking straight ahead and to the right there is no obstruction. I liked this cabin and would choose it again.

Daisy

• 4 weeks later...

I had 8014 on my first TA, and it was great...  

From the bed, or indeed the sofa, you can't even really see the lifeboat as the bed and sofa face ship forward, so most of the time, you don't even know its there. But, even on the balcony, it is, I would say, between 1/4 and 1/3 or the balcony that is obstructed, so really not that big a deal. 

I have since crossed in sheltered balconies, and prefer them now, and have just booked the same again for my next voyage. 

Happy Sailing! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We always book obstructed view cabins for TransAtlantic crossings.   Realistically, there is usually nothing but ocean to see after you leave NY or Southampton until you reach the turnaround port.   A plus is that obstructed cabins are all located near the center of the ship on deck 8, which can save some walking to the dining room or theaters.   

• 1 month later...

I have had an obstructed cabin which had a metal frame above the normal balcony handrail so the obstructed view looking out was smaller. I agree that on a cruise in the wetter/colder seasons a balcony is less of use. The only other unusual thing we found was that there was an echo in the cabin if there was anyone out on an adjacent balcony

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

@Vic The Parrot, assuming you are using a browser interface to create a post (I think that's all that's available now anyway), look at the bottom of the message text box while creating the post. On a desktop, you should see a paper clip followed by "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." as well as an "Other Media" dropdown. On a phone, you should see a paper clip followed by "Add Files" and "Other Media". Those can be used to insert a photo into your post. If you have your photo displayed in a photo viewer or editor, you may also be able to do a copy/paste of the image from there directly into your post if you prefer.

If your photo is stored in an external photo repository, you can still post it here as long as you are able to determine the URL of the photo on that external site. Either paste the photo's URL directly into your post or use the "Insert image from URL" option of the "Other Media" dropdown.

If you use the "drag files", "choose files", "add files" or copy/paste options to insert a photo into your post, then that image will be copied and stored on the Cruise Critic site. That's relatively recent functionality (added in 2018) when Cruise Critic migrated to the current Invision Community software. We are no longer dependent on external photo repositories.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We were in 8099 on our Transatlantic in May this year,  and we joked that we had our very own lifeboat sitting outside “just in case”.
Thanks to Cruise critic, we knew in advance of our sailing of the restricted view so it was fine.

We did like our cabin on deck 8 for its ease of access to elsewhere on the ship. 
As it was so cold outside, I think I only ventured onto the balcony 2 or 3 times.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 1:54 PM, ronpes said:

We were in 8099 on our Transatlantic in May this year,  and we joked that we had our very own lifeboat sitting outside “just in case”.
Thanks to Cruise critic, we knew in advance of our sailing of the restricted view so it was fine.

We did like our cabin on deck 8 for its ease of access to elsewhere on the ship. 
As it was so cold outside, I think I only ventured onto the balcony 2 or 3 times.

Ive been looking at obstructed view. Looking at a lifeboat doesn't bother me so i think it could be a good option for us. But, is there any noise from it - im imagining (based on nothing but my imagination) it swaying in the wind and creaking or squeeking which would irritate me.

55 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Ive been looking at obstructed view. Looking at a lifeboat doesn't bother me so i think it could be a good option for us. But, is there any noise from it - im imagining (based on nothing but my imagination) it swaying in the wind and creaking or squeeking which would irritate me.

I don’t recall any noises that caused any problems.
We had a good night sleep every night and the occasional afternoon nap as well and we had no issues. 
If there were any noises then my wife would have definitely mentioned it as she is a light sleeper.

Edited by ronpes
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...