Drink package...yes or no?

hmk012

0n our first RCL cruise 11 years ago the  drinks package wasn't available. We looked at the  bill  from that  cruise next time around  and the drinks package was on offer for something like $20 more each. 

So, we went with the package - and have done ever since - and have long since stopped doing the math to see if it's still good value.

We prepay along  with  the booking and the gratuities so from embarkation it's pretty much carefree - which is how  a cruise  should be.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

We prepay along  with  the booking and the gratuities so from embarkation it's pretty much carefree - which is how  a cruise  should be.

This - the carefree part - from my crazy plan everything, account for every penny days when money was very tight and cruising was a huge splurge with my kids - to now, when money isn't flowing freely but there is some room to pay ahead and think less on board and I love it now.

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2019 at 10:15 AM, maranelloboy05 said:

Did the math for my May cruise and purchased. I'm 99% sure we'll break even, but even so I'm much happier knowing its paid for. If I hadn't I'd be doing mental math each day trying to keep under a certain limit and honestly on vacation I just don't want to have to think about it, moneys paid so it doesn't matter now.

Plus, I get to try crazy new drinks I would never order,  if not paid for🥂😁🍹

I haven't had a Mai Tai or Tom Collins in YEARS

On 2/24/2019 at 11:03 AM, sparks1093 said:

That's fine if all you are considering is the alcohol but since non-alcoholic drinks are included in the package that has to be factored in also. As I pointed out above I'm good for two specialty coffees a day which is (as I understand it) about $10, so that doesn't leave me having to drink that much just to break even. I am also looking at the fact that I have 4 days to use the package throughout the day (3 sea days and Coco Cay). On our last cruise we had a total bar bill of around $750 and we didn't skimp and $750 is what we are paying for the DBP. Wanting to break even is applying logic to the purchase because if one isn't going to break even then it doesn't make sense to purchase it.

I agree with you 100%  People just don't get that this is not all about alcohol.  We drink a lot of bottled water and get those large bottles at dinner of San Peligrino or Aquapauna.  Those are at least $5 and you can get the large bottles during the day to take to your room or off the ship with you of Evian.  Then there's the fresh squeezed juices, mimosas at breakfast and if you go to a private island it's all included and free.  I am not a big drinker but I want the convenience and know it's all paid for ahead of time with no worries about a big bill at the end of the day.  Also, you don't have to buy for each person in the cabin if one doesn't drink for whatever reason.  Last time I couldn't because I was on medicine, called them up and no problem, just buy the refreshment package.  And did I mention that it also includes milk shakes??  It's a no brainer really if you are going to drink all of those things, water, soda, fresh juice, energy drinks, vitamin water, martinis, wine, frozen drinks, drinks of the day, beer, etc.  GO FOR IT.  It's your vacation enjoy and have fun.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 11:03 AM, sparks1093 said:

That's fine if all you are considering is the alcohol but since non-alcoholic drinks are included in the package that has to be factored in also. As I pointed out above I'm good for two specialty coffees a day which is (as I understand it) about $10, so that doesn't leave me having to drink that much just to break even. I am also looking at the fact that I have 4 days to use the package throughout the day (3 sea days and Coco Cay). On our last cruise we had a total bar bill of around $750 and we didn't skimp and $750 is what we are paying for the DBP. Wanting to break even is applying logic to the purchase because if one isn't going to break even then it doesn't make sense to purchase it.

I agree with you 100%  People just don't get that this is not all about alcohol.  We drink a lot of bottled water and get those large bottles at dinner of San Peligrino or Aquapauna.  Those are at least $5 and you can get the large bottles during the day to take to your room or off the ship with you of Evian.  Then there's the fresh squeezed juices, mimosas at breakfast and if you go to a private island it's all included and free.  I am not a big drinker but I want the convenience and know it's all paid for ahead of time with no worries about a big bill at the end of the day.  Also, you don't have to buy for each person in the cabin if one doesn't drink for whatever reason.  Last time I couldn't because I was on medicine, called them up and no problem, just buy the refreshment package.  And did I mention that it also includes milk shakes??  It's a no brainer really if you are going to drink all of those things, water, soda, fresh juice, energy drinks, vitamin water, martinis, wine, frozen drinks, drinks of the day, beer, etc.  GO FOR IT.  It's your vacation enjoy and have fun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

How do you find that info?  On RCI web site?

By experience.  Just keep watching your cruise planner.  They have sales all the time.  Just keep in mind that sometimes when they say it's a "sale" they mean off the ship's price, not what is normally in your cruise planner.  Sometimes it's actually the same thing they were quoting before the sale.  LOL  

• Like 1

I guess I'm a cheapie. I bring the couple bottles of my (better) wine plus a Chef's table or two (includes wine) and dang most of my dinners covered right there. I still do the Britta filter to fill drinking water (although ship water is always fine).

Then I just buy my poolside drinks and I feel I drink less (my Doctor likes that) and don't spend as much.

I had one Coke the whole cruise [emoji41] and maybe 4 beers.

YMMV, just my .02

16 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

Just got home from work and making my rounds on various websites (one being RCI) and just noticed they're offering the refreshment package for $20.00 a day from $26.00.  

Ship and sailing date?