Passport required for US Permanent Resident sailing to Mexico?

Pier Pressure 53

Hello.

My wife (q US Permanent Resident) & I will be sailing from Los Angeles to Mexico later this year. 

My question is will her Resident Alien card be sufficient for travel? We cruised with Princess about 5 years ago and at the time her Resident Alien card was sufficient. 

John

Researched this for our cruise to Mexico Rivera with MIL:  Mexico requires a valid passport and green card.  The green card just waives the Mexican visa requirement and allow for reentry into the US.

From the Mexican Consulate, San Francisco's website:

• With the purpose of facilitating and promoting travel to Mexico, effective May 2016 all those foreign nationals, regardless of their nationality, visiting Mexico for tourism, business or transit are NOT required to obtain a Mexican visa IF they hold a valid (non-expired) Visa or Permanent Residence of any of this countries: United States of America, Canada, Japan, United Kingdom or Schengen area (European Union).
  • Traveling by cruise. Foreigners of any country traveling to Mexico by cruise on leisure trips visiting Mexican maritime ports, are NOT required to obtain a visa or consular stamp. The passenger must carry its valid passport and documents proving their legal status.

Consulate linkhttps://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/sanfrancisco/index.php/visas-traveling-to-mexico

Edited by Philob

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

It is sufficient for re-entry to the US, but she may need a passport from her native country to enter Mexico and maybe a visa. I would check the Mexican entry guidelines.

Wonder then, why  I have always been asked for my foreign passport in addition to the green card.

2 hours ago, The Viking said:

Wonder then, why  I have always been asked for my foreign passport in addition to the green card.

If you mean when you are returning on a closed loop cruise I have no idea, the regulations clearly say that all that is needed is the green card.

LPRs (green card holders) are usually required to obtain a permission to leave the US document. Check the USCIS website.  This would be in addition to whatever Mexico requires.  "Closed loop" cruise rules apply to US citizens only. 

Just now, DRS/NC said:

LPRs (green card holders) are usually required to obtain a permission to leave the US document. Check the USCIS website.  This would be in addition to whatever Mexico requires.  "Closed loop" cruise rules apply to US citizens only. 

Not according to the regulations. 

3 hours ago, The Viking said:

If you reread the reply above yours, it says Mexico requires the foreign national to have the passport.  The green card is all that is required BY THE US for reentry.  EM

A US green card holder must present additional identification to reenter the US, from the USCIS website:

If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card). When arriving at a port of entry, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will review your permanent resident card and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License, and determine if you can enter the United States.  For information pertaining to entry into the United States, see U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s webpage.

Link: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

If a green card holder is leaving the US for an extended period of time, up to 2 years, a reentry permit issued by ICE is required.  

Same link.

Edited by Philob

11 hours ago, Philob said:

A US green card holder must present additional identification to reenter the US, from the USCIS website:

If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card). When arriving at a port of entry, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will review your permanent resident card and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License, and determine if you can enter the United States.  For information pertaining to entry into the United States, see U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s webpage.

Link: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

If a green card holder is leaving the US for an extended period of time, up to 2 years, a reentry permit issued by ICE is required.  

Same link.

Those are general travel requirements but for re-entry to the US all they need is their green card, although their particular travel may require them to also have a passport from their native land. Here is what the CBP website has to say:

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.
  • WHTI does not affect U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, who are still required to present their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.
  • Canadian citizens can present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST).
  • Bermudian citizens are required to present a valid passport.
  • Mexican citizens, including children, are required to present a passport with visa, or a Border Crossing Card.
  • U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

From this link https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

In the section just above the one quoted above it talks about entry by air and it says:

• Requirements for lawful permanent residents of the United States are not changed by the implementation of WHTI. Lawful permanent residents must continue to present a valid Permanent Resident Card. A passport is not required.

I will say again though that the particular travel involved might require a passport from their native country.