Overnight Parking for Rental Cars Maui and Kauai?

Linosoup

I will be sailing on NCL's Pride of America in early March 2019. 

I have rented a car for both days on Maui and both days on Kauai.  I am trying to find out the best place to park the rental car overnight in each port.  I know I can use the airport parking and take a shuttle/taxi back and forth but was wondering if anyone has used any other options recently that might be more convenient &/or economical. Are there any parking lots available nearby?

I can't find any chatter on this topic that is not 5-10 years old!

Thanks,

Linda 

I’m in a couple of NCL groups. Here is what I have seen recently:

Kauai: “We parked at the Anchor Cove shopping center a few blocks away from the port.” I believe this is $20 and it’s the only option I’ve seen.

Maui: (I have seen this a lot in the groups but we’re not doing it, we’re parking at the airport.) “On Maui you can make arrangements w Maui Seaside Hotel to park your car overnight in their parking lot. They are located near the harbor.” This is $5 I believe and about a 10-minute walk.

I don’t think you can park at the Maui mall anymore. Papa B is doing a live review on the NCL board (his cruise starts today) and I think he’s renting a car so I will be waiting to see what he says.

4 minutes ago, Beachiekeen said:

Maui: (I have seen this a lot in the groups but we’re not doing it, we’re parking at the airport.) “On Maui you can make arrangements w Maui Seaside Hotel to park your car overnight in their parking lot. They are located near the harbor.” This is $5 I believe and about a 10-minute walk.

We believe that is the Maui Beach Hotel and not the Maui Seaside Hotel.  We must mention that if you will be going out in the early a.m. hours the next morning to get your car to go to sunrise at Haleakala or something, do be aware the area you will be walking between the fenced walkway to the ship and the hotel is not the safest place to be on foot after dark. 

9 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We believe that is the Maui Beach Hotel and not the Maui Seaside Hotel.  We must mention that if you will be going out in the early a.m. hours the next morning to get your car to go to sunrise at Haleakala or something, do be aware the area you will be walking between the fenced walkway to the ship and the hotel is not the safest place to be on foot after dark. 

Hmm you may be right, I see people saying both. Also Maui Beach Hotel lists $5 parking on their website. At any rate, it’s the most recommended parking tip for Maui I see on FB. But I would rather pay a little more to park at the airport and take a shuttle.

Edited by Beachiekeen

21 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

I don’t think you can park at the Maui mall anymore. Papa B is doing a live review on the NCL board (his cruise starts today) and I think he’s renting a car so I will be waiting to see what he says.

We drove by the Maui Seaside Hotel today and there is really no place for extra cars to park.  Its website said paid parking was $10.00 if you were staying there.  The Maui Beach Hotel (right next door) does have a lot where the on-premises Hertz office keeps their rental cars.  It seems they didn't offer overnight parking for cruise people until recently, but must have finally realized they could make some extra money ($5.00 per night) using that lot.  Maui Mall has signs posted that there is no overnight parking, but some people ignore them and are willing to take a chance on their car being towed.  Hope this clarifies things a bit.

15 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We drove by the Maui Seaside Hotel today and there is really no place for extra cars to park.  Its website said paid parking was $10.00 if you were staying there.  The Maui Beach Hotel (right next door) does have a lot where the on-premises Hertz office keeps their rental cars.  It seems they didn't offer overnight parking for cruise people until recently, but must have finally realized they could make some extra money ($5.00 per night) using that lot.  Maui Mall has signs posted that there is no overnight parking, but some people ignore them and are willing to take a chance on their car being towed.  Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Thanks for looking into this and clearing it up!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE BE CAREFUL EVERYONE in terms of the parking responses above.  Note there are two ports.  Above information I believe does  not apply to Lahaina pier where RCCL ships come in.   Appears to apply to the Kahului cruise pier.  There is no Maui Seaside Hotel or Maui Beach Hotel near Lahaina pier.    We will be renting a car while in Lahaina but will only park it overnight if we find a suitable expensive parking spot and will not leave it just anywhere for a cheaper price.  On that note, we will also be buying top rate insurance for theft and vandalism.  Or, if we do not like the available parking spots, we will simply return it to the rental location and rent again the following day.  Yup, we are nervous nillies.     In Europe a few years back, we bought from Sixt car rental insurance that covered us for driving the car off a cliff if we did so choose.    We actually ended up with a big smash on the front of the car while it was sitting in an underground lot, and Sixt simply took it back, no questions or issues raised.  So remember to insurance up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pink845 said:

PLEASE BE CAREFUL EVERYONE in terms of the parking responses above.  Note there are two ports.  Above information I believe does  not apply to Lahaina pier where RCCL ships come in.   

The OP was specific about being on the POA, which docks in Kahului Harbor, so the comments offered revolved around that area.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise!   We rented from Enterprise and on their suggestion parked at the Maui Beach Hotel.   We did not park at the airport as the shuttle doesn't start running until 8am and we had a 7am snorkeling adventure.   There are at least 2 security checkpoints at the port so we felt safe walking in the fenced area.  After the fenced area, you are walking along a street and we really did not see anything suspicious or uncomfortable.      It is almost a half mile walk to consider that in your time estimates.

For Kauai we parked at the Anchor Cove mall for $20.  It's a 10 minute walk to the ship but they also have a shuttle that runs between the mall and the ship.

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, CaptainVideo52 said:

At the Lahaina Pier there is a parking lot very close.  Directly behind  court house there is a parking lot in the back of  Paia Fish Market on Front Street. Overnight parking up to 24 hours was $27. 

The OP was asking about Kahalui, not Lahaina.