Kayaking at Norway coast portstops

kaymoz

At some point during our cruise of the Norway coast in June, we'd like to do some kayaking to add an on-the-water dimension to our fjord explorations.  What are the "best" places others have found to do this, both from the workable-logistics standpoint and the experience perspective? 

Our stops include:  Stavanger, Alesund, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Narvik, Geiranger, Flam, and Bergen.

saw folks doing in both Geiranger, Flam

at G' some would go all the way to Seven Sisters

In Flam:  Fjord Paddle (3hrs)

When?                  Daily departures at 12.00
Where?                 Our base on Flåm Beach
What to bring?   Camera, suntan lotion, a snack, water and a big smile. All kayaking equipment is included

http://www.seakayaknorway.com/

IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

Edited by Capt_BJ

The fjords are so high, that I haven’t noticed a significant difference in the water-level view between a small boat and a 10-deck cruise ship! I do, however, recommend getting a view from above at one of the scenic overlooks. This the angle that most of the iconic fjord photographs are shot from, and it is a very different perspective looking down from above versus looking up at the towering fjord walls. Both are spectacular, but in very different ways.

Since Geiranger has several beautiful overlooks and plenty of infrastructure to get you to them (you can even hike up to some of the lower viewpoints on your own), I might choose to kayak in Flåm. Most people aim for the Flåmsbana railway, which has some nice views of the valley (not of the fjord, since the valley curves right before reaching the water), but if that’s not a must-do for you... Altwrnatively, depending on how long you’re in port, you may be able to spend half a full port day in Geiranger kayaking and the other half getting up to one of the overlooks.

The other ports aren’t technically in the fjords (they’re closer to the coast), so if you specifically wanted fjord kayaking, you’d need to find a company that also handles transportation out of town. Several offer kayaking around the coastal island waterways, and Ålesund actually offers kayaking trips through the city’s canals (as featured on a recent season of The Amazing Race).

The other ports aren’t technically in the fjords

concur .. there is kayak to be found but they either take out out of town first or it is 'unexciting' IMO

dunno what your cruise sched is but our's ended in Bergen where we spent a couple of days

then went to Flam via train, bus, boat in a day (Norway in a Nutshell .. google it) and stayed a night in Flam.  Then rode the famous train UP the mountains and connected (back) to the Bergen / Oslo train ... and spent a few days in Oslo ....

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

100_0394.JPG

100_0401.JPG

100_0403.JPG

Flam was SO much different after the cruise ships left ! ! !

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 2 weeks later...

Our cruise begins and ends in Amsterdam, so sadly, we don't have the opportunity to "stay over" in Norway after the voyage and continue explorations.  

I did check for kayak outings in Geiranger, but the vendor was already booked on the day we are in port there (no surprise as there are three other ships in port that day, with one 2000! pax!).  So I went ahead and lined up a  scenic mini-bus tours for our day in Geiranger. 

I found a kayak tour in Alesund with availability, but does sound fairly urban and since we planned to do a walking tour there because I love architecture, we'd like any paddling time to be more nature-oriented.

Here are the portstops that we still have unscheduled, so wondering if any of those stand out for paddling: 

Trondheim

Tromso

Narvik

Bergen

3 hours ago, kaymoz said:

I found a kayak tour in Alesund with availability, but does sound fairly urban and since we planned to do a walking tour there because I love architecture, we'd like any paddling time to be more nature-oriented.

Here are the portstops that we still have unscheduled, so wondering if any of those stand out for paddling: 

Trondheim

Tromso

Narvik

Bergen

Maybe Tromsø?

https://villmarkssenter.no/activities/sea-kayaking/

https://www.activetromso.no/active-summer/sea-kayaking/