Just Returned From Fabulous Trip on Caribbean Princess

AF-1

Hello Fellow Cruise Critics,  We just returned from seven days Western Caribbean on Caribbean Princess.  Our trip was 16-23 Feb.  FLL- Cayman Islands-Roatan-Belize_Cozumel. It was a great trip and we were very happy with no big issues.  Let me start this review by saying; out of perfect 10; this cruise was a 9.9 rating.  We flew down on Valentines Day 14 Feb to FLL.  So glad we went early; why you ask.  Well for one we wanted to get out of the cold weather in Cincinnati, and we figured we could spend Valentines day on the beach.  We were supposed to arrive FLL at 2:30pm on Delta.  Well our flight coming into Cincinnati had a mechanical; which made out flight out of Cincy late and we missed our connection in Atlanta. We had checked bags so we could not get them back. When we got to Atlanta, we missed our first connection; then we missed the second connection because they only had one seat avail; and I was not going to leave my wife;  we finally caught the third flight; which put us into FLL at 6:15pm.  Our bags were on the original connection, so they were at Delta baggage when we arrived.  Hopped in a taxi and went to Courtyard Marriott on FLL beach.  Nice hotel and great location.  We did get to celebrate Valentines Day with a late dinner.  Friday was lounge and beach day and we left for port Saturday around 10:30am.  Most of you know Caribbean Princess was first ship to have fully functional medallion class.  I can say after 7 days using the new medallion system; it works, and it works well.  Yes there are still a few glitches; one being; I could never order a beverage in Club Fusion.  I could in all the other bars but that one.  I could order room service with the app, and order beverages at the pool bars, etc.  Getting on and off ship is a little faster; some people say it really is not faster; but I think it is a little faster.  The main thing is the medallion unlocks the door to your cabin when you approach.  You still have to push the door handle to open door; but it is a nice system.  The track or find cruise mate works well.  I was watching a jazz band in Explorers lounge, and next thing I know my wife is tapping me on the shoulder; she said she tracked me down with the digital screen by the elevator.  There are digital screens by all the elevators on every floor.  If you want to know how to get to the spa from deck 6; you just tap on the spa and then it asks if you want directions to the spa and it will give you the quickest route.  If you buy something in the gift shops is a breeze. There is a medallion box at the check out counter.  You place your medallion on the button and it will turn green; which mean the sale went thru.  The biggest thing I noticed about the medallion system was on departure day.  Some people never took a security photo prior to arriving at the port. Even though they had filled out ocean ready app; their security photo was not taken or they took a side shot of their face; which won't work.  Anyway, once they tried to enter the ship the security officers had to retake their security photo's with an ipad.  When they placed their medallion down on machine it never turned green; it stayed blue.  There are  more than 50 medallion personnel at the port willing and able to help with any and all medallion questions or issues.  Same is true on board the ship.  They have an ocean medallion desk with tech people manning the desk to help.  On day two of cruise they teach a class with one of the medallion IT staff;  it is held in Explorers lounge.  So back to the cruise.  This  was our second cruise with Princess.  We liked our Alaska cruise so much that we booked this cruise.  Below I will list everything:

CABIN: C749 aft Penthouse Suite. - Loved the location and the room; cabin steward Olympio was excellent

Club Class Dining: Excellent; never had to wait for a table; food was great

CROWN GRILL: Excellent.  Food was great; staff was great; all in all great dinner

WORLD FRESH MARKET BUFFET: Ate here for a few breakfasts, a few lunches, and a few dinners.  Never had a bad meal.  Met head chef and he showed me around the buffet and we talked about different types of foods and breads served there. (full disclosure, I have a food service background).  Anyway is was interesting to hear about some of the regional foods they prepare.  There was a lot of asian, and mediterranean food on buffet; and there was a fajita bar everyday for lunch.  Food was good

SABITINI'S: ate breakfast here one morning by myself.  Good food and service;  

24 HR INT'L FOOD MARKET ON PIAZZA: Had a few desserts here; never had a sandwich or salad

ENTERTAINMENT: Comedy show was excellent;  magic show was just ok, production show was very good

SLICE PIZZA AND SALTY DOG: I had pizza at least a slice a day;  was trying to see if there was any change in consistency between hours of the day or each day.  Pizza was just as good every day.  Burger and fries were good; fries were cooked to order

MUTS: The movies for this week were: Black Panther, First Man, A Star is Born, plus a bunch of concerts;  we watched the Who Concert on night

SHIP AND STAFF: The ship was in great shape.  Every port day the crew was all over the ship working nonstop changing carpet and painting while we were onshore.  I never met a bad crewmember. When I sat down in buffett; there were  no less than three servers at my table asking if I needed anything; same was true in main dining room .  Our personal cabin steward was in and out of room all the time cleaning.   cabin was spotless.  

CRUISE DIRECTOR: Micca Reitano from Australia.  Funny, had a morining tv show from all over the ship.  Was everywhere and very interactive with passengers.  

***** I do not have anything bad to say about this cruise.  The only reason I did not give it a perfect 10 was the following.  We had one shore excursion cancelled because of high seas;  we had our heart set on snorkling on barrier reef in Belize; and it was cancelled;  so we ended up never leaving the ship. I know this was out of anyone's control.  Only other thing; medallion program is up and running at maybe 90%.  Two small no big deal things;  We had perfect weather and calm seas.  I posted a few pics from our trip.   If you have any questions or concerns about this review or the ship I will try and answer the best I can.  Thank you for reading along. Have a great day

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

Edited by AF-1
edited txt
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very nice review.

From your description, I'd give your experience a 9.95. As you stated, can't do much about bad weather.

By the time we cruise on a Medallion ship, the Medallion should be 100% functional. I'm pretty sure it will be a couple of years before we go on one. Our next cruise is on the Pacific.

8 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Very nice review.

From your description, I'd give your experience a 9.95. As you stated, can't do much about bad weather.

By the time we cruise on a Medallion ship, the Medallion should be 100% functional. I'm pretty sure it will be a couple of years before we go on one. Our next cruise is on the Pacific.

I would think that all the ships will be medallion ready in within two years.  we plan on taking a New England cruise either next fall or fall of 2021; either way whatever ship we take will have medallions 

Thanks for the review. I know you mentioned that they were painting and changing carpets. Was there any talk about the upcoming drydock in April? I know they plan to cut a hole in the side of the ship as to be able to swap out the problematic propulsion system and also add a "water themed venue" just under the area of Skywalkers.

Thanks for sharing and for doing the Live From. People on CC tend to dwell on the negative stuff so it was refreshing to hear all the positives from your cruise. We did the Circle Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess last March. It was one of the best cruises we have ever taken on Princess or any other line. Lesson to people thinking of cruising on the Caribbean Princess, don’t believe everything you read on CC. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

thanks...curious - why only one day for the breakfast in Sabitinis? most people posting here rave about that as a suite perk

I think Sabatinis decor and the breakfast service on the CB just didn’t do it for me for some reason. It’s the first time I was not impressed. It was the one and only time on that ship.

1 hour ago, cruisingpeople said:

Thanks for the review. I know you mentioned that they were painting and changing carpets. Was there any talk about the upcoming drydock in April? I know they plan to cut a hole in the side of the ship as to be able to swap out the problematic propulsion system and also add a "water themed venue" just under the area of Skywalkers.

I was having so much fun I did not speak to anyone about the upcoming drydock.  Sorry

54 minutes ago, voljeep said:

thanks...curious - why only one day for the breakfast in Sabitinis? most people posting here rave about that as a suite perk

Oh yes it is a very nice perk for suites;  however I have a wife who likes to sleep in to make the most of the comfy bed.  So Sabatini's was closed by the time she got up; thus we either had breakfast or lunch in buffet .  I went by myself; it was quiet and they make whatever your request.  

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

I forgot to ask the same question. We took advantage of that perk everyday.

Like I mentioned below; my wife slept in every morning.  We booked excursions late so we would not have to get up early in order to start an excursion.  The earliest we ever left ship in port was 0830 and on that day we ordered room service.  Which I forgot to mention in my review;  Yes I ordered thru the app; and it was delivered on time and everything in the order was hot.  So that is my answer.  

Edited by AF-1

12 minutes ago, EMS8 said:

Very nice review. Glad you had a good time.  Better late than never for Valentine’s Day dinner.  

I ran into a couple who were sailing out of Miami the following day; and they missed their connection in Atlanta too.  Never heard if they made it to Miami;  hopefully they did

53 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I think Sabatinis decor and the breakfast service on the CB just didn’t do it for me for some reason. It’s the first time I was not impressed. It was the one and only time on that ship.

I agree with you;  we actually had dinner reservations there too; but we cancelled after looking at that menu.  I am a plain italian person; pasta, meatballs, caprese salad.  They serve none of that;  most items I did not know the names to.  So we skipped eating there.

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1