Drink packages for carnival

blondi4107

Are the drink packages really worth paying 450:00 per person?

you can pack a 12 pk of sodas and wine (750 oz). You’ll be off the ship 3 days at port and no alcohol will be served for 2 days on the 7 day cruise. So I was thinking on the other 3 days at sea purchase the pkg daily.  That would be approx 180:00.    Thoughts?   My travel partner doesn’t want to buy the package so I’m trying to decide what to do.

You can’t purchase a drink package per day. On embarkation day you can purchase the package for the entire voyage. On some cruise lines you are allowed to purchase the package on the second or third day of the voyage at a pro rated rate. I also don’t remember if Carnival requires that everyone in a specific cabin purchases the package. That stops passengers from attempting to share the drink package which is not allowed.

Why is no alcohol served for 2 days? I’ve never heard of that. Also, as prior poster said, drink package is all or nothing. Purchase for all eligible days or don’t purchase, not a per day option. It’s highly subjective on whether or not it’s ‘worth it’; but in your case it sounds like the answer is no. In the case of people who say ‘will they really cut me off at 15’, the answer is yes.

It's really a question of how much you'll use it, and itinerary does impact that as you point out. On our last cruise we had a bottle of rum for the cabin and when we wanted a drink we ordered one. Our total for the cruise (including the pre-cruise purchase of the bottle) was $750. We've purchased our first drink package for our upcoming cruise on Royal and bought it on sale for around $750. We have three sea days and a day at their private island (and we can use the package there). I figure I'm good for a couple of specialty coffees a day and that leaves me needing to have three frozen drinks and that shouldn't be a problem. So for us, on this cruise, it made sense. It's an analysis we will do for every cruise from now on.

Edited by sparks1093

On 2/24/2019 at 7:38 PM, Essiesmom said:

It's possible the OP is sailing from Galveston, and the package is not sold on embarkation day due to Texas tax laws.  EM

Not tax laws, but liquor laws. In Tx, you can not give away free liquor, nor sell discount cards for liquor. (Although, admittedly Essiesmom, you were close enough:classic_wink:)You can buy the liquor on board (as long as the bottle was TX tax paid), but cannot use the Cheers card. On the other hand, Cheers is not charged for that first day either (on a 7 night cruise from Galveston, you will pay only for 6 nights).

On 2/24/2019 at 2:25 PM, blondi4107 said:

Are the drink packages really worth paying 450:00 per person?

you can pack a 12 pk of sodas and wine (750 oz). You’ll be off the ship 3 days at port and no alcohol will be served for 2 days on the 7 day cruise. So I was thinking on the other 3 days at sea purchase the pkg daily.  That would be approx 180:00.    Thoughts?   My travel partner doesn’t want to buy the package so I’m trying to decide what to do.

The package will cost $900 for the two of you. If you don't think that between you, that you will have a $900 bar bill then the package is not worth the cost. In your case based on what you have said it is probably a waste of money.

Edited by zqvol

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 4:38 AM, Essiesmom said:

It's possible the OP is sailing from Galveston, and the package is not sold on embarkation day due to Texas tax laws.  EM

I am sailing from Galveston as well, no drink package until day 2.  Doing the math it makes more since to get bottle service in the cabin, make my own in cabin.  $90 for bottle service versus $250 for drinks package was a no braner.