One Main Course

djhsolara

13 minutes ago, djhsolara said:

We were just seated in the Dining Room on NA and were informed by our server that if you order more than one main course, there is a $10 surcharge. Still unlimited starters, etc. We’ve never heard this before. 

That is odd. Just 3 weeks ago we ordered an entree two times "for the table" for our family of 6. No charge. 

18 minutes ago, djhsolara said:

We were just seated in the Dining Room on NA and were informed by our server that if you order more than one main course, there is a $10 surcharge. Still unlimited starters, etc. We’ve never heard this before. 

I know that on some lines (don't know if it's true on HAL), there's an extra charge for specific entrees.  Maybe the second entree you were wanting to order was one of those?

8 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I know that on some lines (don't know if it's true on HAL), there's an extra charge for specific entrees.  Maybe the second entree you were wanting to order was one of those?

No, it was a blanket statement as soon as the menus were presented...we weren’t even ordering yet. 

Edited by djhsolara

That menu is for the special Culinary Council dinners.   A CC member who was on a February 3 Eurodam Hawaii cruise posted all of the dinner menus from the MDR.  The daily menus she posted have no special notes about a $10 charge for 2 entrees.   So, maybe this applied to a special dinner ?? 

Sounds fair. All things in moderation. The range of specialty dining demands many passengers make on mainline cruise ships today has to be cutting into the overall bottomline. I have always favored a surcharge for all those special dietary requests too. One will not starve on a cruise ship eating regular portions - there is so much food available all day long.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 5

Yes it is.

But of course, there are other options out there - land trips with private car and guide.

The cruise lines are treating guests with contempt these days - they assume that "obedient consumers" will continue to re-book. Hence their approaches as noted on this thread.

Well cruise lines, there are many ways to spend $, cruising is just one option.

Arrogance eventually has consequences.

No cruises booked for me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jilltoons said:

Another cruiser who is on the NA right now attached a copy of the dining room menu - and yes indeed it says $10.00 extra charge if you order a Second entrée.  Here is the attachment of the menu.

Feb24dinner (3).pdf

I see that it states that in the attachment that you posted, but that was NOT the menu in The Dining Room on NA this evening. Not sure where this other cruiser is eating. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, qoap24 said:

Wow is right! Don't they usually have the same entrees at the buffet? If so, I wonder why they would charge extra in the MDR.

That MDR charge makes no sense.   If you go to the Lido, you can tell the server to pile on as many slices of beef, or whatever you want.  You can even go back for seconds or thirds.  If you do the same  in the MDR, they charge you $10 ??? ridiculous !!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, djhsolara said:

I see that it states that in the attachment that you posted, but that was NOT the menu in The Dining Room on NA this evening. Not sure where this other cruiser is eating. 

I am also on NA right now. The menu I posted is what shows on Navigator. On the thread where I posted it I mentioned that it appeared to be the same as NS from yesterday and might not have been updated online. I checked outside the MDR and a different menu appeared.

58 minutes ago, djhsolara said:

I wonder if that means that those   of   us who sail solo and pay for two persons will get a $10 credit each day for 'mystery person for whom we paid but   eats no food the whole cruise as  they do not exist but for full      payment for them  being rendered?

HAL is playing two edge sword on this issue,  IMO    HOW  LOW will they go?  :roll eyes:

Wha t would they do if a solo  guest , alone in their cabin paid double and now that solo person  opts to order  two entrees.  Will they  charge the  solo person for the extra entree?   but not issue refund for the meals not eaten  (by  the  not present paid for guest)?

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 8

I just compared the menu from NS for yesterday, and what NA has on Navigator for today. With the exception of the notation of the $10 charge for the second entree, the menus are identical. Again, it appears that NA did not update Navigator today.

2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I just compared the menu from NS for yesterday, and what NA has on Navigator for today. With the exception of the notation of the $10 charge for the second entree, the menus are identical. Again, it appears that NA did not update Navigator today.

Interesting,  Thanks for sharing that with us. 

Have  great cruise

I probably should add that in all our cuises, i never once  asked for two entrees,  BUT, they are playing a controversial  game     'IMO.  If they feel  it okay to charge for a second entree,,,,  hope they feel they  should  issue credit for the second guest  who does not sail   (or   eat ) but  for w hom a solo guest paid. a full fare.

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, richwmn said:

With the exception of the notation of the $10 charge for the second entree, the menus are identical.

This is disappointing news to me.  The same menu on two different ships:  same old, same old as to variety.  Those of us sailing on NS from 1/6/19-1/20/19 had the same menus for our b2b cruises.  This lack of menu rotation and variety is, I think, a major change that is NOT in the best interests of HAL's guests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djhsolara said:

Can you confirm that this was in the MDR and was a regular dinner, not one with the Culinary Council? During our February 3rd cruise there was no surcharge, and our waiter frequently brought out a second entrée for us to sample. There definitely seems to be some confusion here.

• Like 1

I guess some folks were abusing the privilege. No skin off my nose as most nights I can't finish one entree but it does seem once again nickle and dimey. We only ever ordered the vegetarian dishes like risottos or pasta "for the table" and only on Gala nights when those look so yummy, it was really more like a big side to share at the whole table.