What to buy in Southeast Asia?

portnum

Honestly, I wish people would STOP buying us things when they travel.  I've got silk scarves that I never where, nicknacs that I don't like or don't fit with my decor (that I feel obligated to display when they come to visit,  clothing that doesn't fit or I would never wear, and other stuff that eventually will end up in a thrift shop or landfill.

AND it obligated me to spend time in our vacations shopping for those gift-givers.

I know these folks believe they're being thoughtful, and We accept the gifts graciously.  But we still wish they would stop.  

One exception:  food.  If we like it, it's a nice new treat.  If it's awful, it hits the garbage.  That works perfectly.  Candy is ideal.

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

Honestly, I wish people would STOP buying us things when they travel.  I've got silk scarves that I never where, nicknacs that I don't like or don't fit with my decor (that I feel obligated to display when they come to visit,  clothing that doesn't fit or I would never wear, and other stuff that eventually will end up in a thrift shop or landfill.

AND it obligated me to spend time in our vacations shopping for those gift-givers.

I know these folks believe they're being thoughtful, and We accept the gifts graciously.  But we still wish they would stop.  

One exception:  food.  If we like it, it's a nice new treat.  If it's awful, it hits the garbage.  That works perfectly.  Candy is ideal.

I agree.  I never buy gifts, except for my granddaughters.  Definitely not for coworkers or friends.  I did buy candy once in Switzerland.....but it never made it home.  It was so good, but the thought that counts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

My Lord!  Traveling light must be impossible for you.  😵

Depends on what you shop for and/or consider a local specialty. We don't buy gifts for others and don't typically buy souvenirs for ourselves except in grocery stores or drug stores. I love spices (which pack nicely and are usually ok to come back into the US - there are some exceptions). I've gone through phases where I've been addicted to tinned fish and brought loads back from Bulgaria, Romania & Portugal (those were NOT lightweight 😉 ) I've brought scarves back for myself. And we usually buy some sort of christmas ornament, though it's not always something that is sold as an ornament....

In Asia, I've bought lots of scarves for myself (I've been a daily scarf wearer for 30+ years so it makes sense for me - if you don't like or wear scarves, this isn't a good option 😉 I think in Hong Kong we bought a cloisonne animal as a tree ornament. Scarves in Bangkok (as well as foot massages!!! can't bring that back but boy do I wish we could!) I don't think we brought anything back from Vietnam. I've brought back lots of seasoning packets and sheet masks from various (mostly business) trips in China.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 6:28 PM, portnum said:

I will be in Southeast Asia for 3 weeks (Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Thailand). Any ideas what to buy and bring home as gifts to friends, family and coworkers?

On 2/24/2019 at 6:28 PM, portnum said:

I will be in Southeast Asia for 3 weeks (Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Thailand). Any ideas what to buy and bring home as gifts to friends, family and coworkers?

If you love to shop, visit Mustafa  Dept store in Singapore.  Prescription sunglasses and glasses in Saigon...very cheap, excellent optical quality. Also handbags and shoes. Yes.. pearls in Halong Bay, Vietnam. Fascinating antiques and stuff in Siem Reap at local market.  Bangkok if you are there on the weekend, take the elevated Skytrain to Chatuchak..worlds largest flea market..antiques, silks, young designers shops, everything...even. roasted scorpions on a stick.  Get a map of it online. Otherwise, bargain hard but smiling at the pop up Night markets. Love Asia and have been there many times.  Hong Kong night market for toys, it’s very expensive shopping there now.