any way around the drink package rule?

I prefer getting the drink package. I love not being handed a bill/check to sign with every drink. I am not sure if I can figure out how to get the package on my next cruise though. My 22 year old son is booked in my cabin and he does not drink. Any chance RCCL lets me get the drink package and get him a lower non alcohol package?

Or if not, is there a way I can avoid the whole bill/check signing with every drink? I honestly hated that and I could care less if I come out ahead or behind on the price of the package. I would be happy to just have the convenience of package if at all possible.

That isn't the policy at RCI....true, some still think it is. You can purchase the drink package for yourself and you don't have to purchase anything for your son....you're choice.

Enjoy your cruise !

Just looked this up on Royal’s website after December 31, 2017 all persons over 21 in the same cabin are required to purchase the drink package. I think this was because there was a lot of people abusing it. 

You might want to call and explain the situation and see what they say.

32 minutes ago, rkkunk said:

Just looked this up on Royal’s website after December 31, 2017 all persons over 21 in the same cabin are required to purchase the drink package. I think this was because there was a lot of people abusing it. 

You might want to call and explain the situation and see what they say.

Sorry...no, the policy has changed..again....RCI isn't known for updating online information :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Ashland

We were able to purchase a refreshment package for me and the one with alcohol for my husband for one of our upcomming cruises (in August, made the purchase in December).  I think he bought mine first online and then it let just him buy the other.  It seemed so long as we each had A package it was all the system cared about, not which package.  Maybe you can try that if your som would enjoy the nicer coffeess or sodays, virgin cocktails, etc

Otherwise you could always try asking the bar manager once onboard.

6 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Sorry...no, the policy has changed..again....RCI isn't known for updating online information :classic_rolleyes:

Do you know when that happened? I wasn’t aware that they had changed that policy....again.

I personally like the idea of not having to purchase it for everyone over 21 in the room as I don’t drink nearly enough to make it worthwhile.

I believe it changed in Jan 2018..again. However you must do this by calling RCI directly (their online doesn't recognize this as an option...crazy right !!) and just to clarify the other occupant over 21 in your cabin does need to purchase some other type of pkg...even if it's the soda pkg or refreshment pkg.

When the drink pkgs. were first introduced just one person could buy it but after it being abused the policy changed. Now after many complaints and varying personal situations came into play the policy has changed again.

Edited by Ashland

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

That isn't the policy at RCI....true, some still think it is. You can purchase the drink package for yourself and you don't have to purchase anything for your son....you're choice.

Enjoy your cruise !

Clarifying...you need to do this by directly phoning RCI and since your son is over 21 you will need to purchase some sort of pkg for him like the soda or refreshment pkg...but you certainly don't have to buy an alcohol pkg.

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

Enjoy your cruise !

Wow... Just make things up and post them in response to someone's question.

What a load of rubbish.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

I believe it changed in Jan 2018..again. However you must do this by calling RCI directly (their online doesn't recognize this as an option...crazy right !!) and just to clarify the other occupant over 21 in your cabin does need to purchase some other type of pkg...even if it's the soda pkg or refreshment pkg.

When the drink pkgs. were first introduced just one person could buy it but after it being abused the policy changed. Now after many complaints and varying personal situations came into play the policy has changed again.

there was a brief window in which they did allow only one if you called and explained the other person does not drink (and got an agent who was willing to look into it).  That window was brief (less than 2 months if I recall correctly) and long since closeed (unless they have started up again quite recently).

For a while it seemed to be everyone had to have the same package.  More recently, they've sort of found a middle ground and will allow the pruchase of the refreshment package for some in the cabin and the delux for others---this allow them to accomidate that people do not drink alcohol but still stick with the idea that of requiring both parties to have a pacakge and hopefully reduces sharing.  This seems to be holding steady longer than either of the other policie and i feel is likely to stick.

You may purchase the delux package for yourself only if you call and you also purchase the refreshment package for your son.  

There have ave been lots of reports of this being allowed and I have only heard of a couple of cases where they actually allowed it with the purchase of a soda package as opposed to the refreshment package and that was quite a while ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I honestly hated that and I could care less if I come out ahead or behind on the price of the package. I would be happy to just have the convenience of package if at all possible.

Then just pay for two packages. He can enjoy frozen virgin drinks, milkshakes, specialty coffee, bottled water, fresh squeezed juice, etc. so the package would have some value to him.

Was on the Grandeur recently.  I do not drink but my wife does. I purchased the alcohol  package for her and I was required to purchase the Royal Refreshment package for my self. No problem at all but both must be bought at the same time. 

Also you may call Royal and pre purchase over the phone. Do not do it online  as this way requires you to both  purchase alcohol package.

I also purchased the alcohol/royal refreshment packages forbbour upcomi g cruise.

Ok, dumb question.  If my friend gets a room with her 16 year old, and my friend wants a boozy drink package, does she have to get her daughter one of the non-boozy ones, or can the daughter not get a package.  Lol- now that I type that, I can’t picture her daughter not getting at least the soda package 😉

14 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Ok, dumb question.  If my friend gets a room with her 16 year old, and my friend wants a boozy drink package, does she have to get her daughter one of the non-boozy ones, or can the daughter not get a package.  Lol- now that I type that, I can’t picture her daughter not getting at least the soda package 😉

No.  It only applies to cabins with more than 1 adult in them. 

9 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Thanks everyone. Follow up question, for my upcoming cruise I booked through a TA, do I call my TA to purchase the packages? I have access to my cruise planner on the RCCL web site but as was said I need to purchase over the phone.

No, you can either call RC directly or use the Cruise Planner on Royal's website to purchase packages.

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

Enjoy your cruise !

incorrect.  everyone 21 nd over must purchase a  package if one person does.   best you can hope for is being allowed to purchase the refresh package( no alcohol) for the son and you may have to call in to get it or wait until you board.  

7 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Wow... Just make things up and post them in response to someone's question.

What a load of rubbish.

Wow..please read my post #8 where I clarified my response to this...but not surprised by those that couldn't/wouldn't read that far....some just love to jump on anything they can...sad !! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ashland said:

Enjoy your cruise !

This has been incorrect for the past year.

Yes, everyone had to purchase the package.  However you can call, and with a good reason, the second person may be allowed only purchase the Refreshment package.

• Like 1