Kinderdijk from Rotterdam - how to get there

sansterre

Our ship will be docked at the cruise terminal in Rotterdam from 7-4.  What is the best way to get to Kinderdijk?

Should we take a land taxi, or a water taxi?

Would either of those taxi options wait for us while we toured the visitor center etc. for an hour or two?

If not, could we call them back for us when we are ready to return?  We don't want to run into difficulties getting back to the ship! 

I know there is a tour ship that comes and goes once a day but it doesn't return in time to get back on our cruise ship.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

20 minutes ago, sansterre said:

Our ship will be docked at the cruise terminal in Rotterdam from 7-4.  What is the best way to get to Kinderdijk?

Should we take a land taxi, or a water taxi?

Would either of those taxi options wait for us while we toured the visitor center etc. for an hour or two?

If not, could we call them back for us when we are ready to return?  We don't want to run into difficulties getting back to the ship! 

I know there is a tour ship that comes and goes once a day but it doesn't return in time to get back on our cruise ship.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

What are your dates? A previous post on the subject had what looked to be an efficient public transit route (including a ferry I believe) but it only ran from May 1st. Search for Kinderdijk in this forum and you should find the thread easily.

• 3 weeks later...

We are there in August but only from 8-5 (all aboard will be 4).  The tour boat/ferry returns at 4, but I'm afraid that is too late.

So looking for an alternative way to get there, either by land or by sea!

8 hours ago, sansterre said:

We are there in August but only from 8-5 (all aboard will be 4).  The tour boat/ferry returns at 4, but I'm afraid that is too late.

So looking for an alternative way to get there, either by land or by sea!

Ypur only option might be public transport.Probably  no details available yet for summer, but you can check this website as information: https://9292.nl/en

It will be a combination of bus, metro and walk. I have no idea how much it will cost or how to get tickets.

Thanks all.  Checking to see if Water Taxi or Ferry will work for us (need to return to ship around 3).  Ferry is one-tenth the cost of getting there by taxi.

LHT28 - I just started another thread asking about a guide with a car to take us to Kinderdijk.

I've tried to write to the waterbus/ water taxi to find out if they will wait for us for an hour or two, but they have not replied.

We used the Water Taxi last time we were in Rotterdam and found them very good transit.

Just now, sansterre said:

Thanks all.  Checking to see if Water Taxi or Ferry will work for us (need to return to ship around 3).  Ferry is one-tenth the cost of getting there by taxi.

LHT28 - I just started another thread asking about a guide with a car to take us to Kinderdijk.

I've tried to write to the waterbus/ water taxi to find out if they will wait for us for an hour or two, but they have not replied.

We used the Water Taxi last time we were in Rotterdam and found them very good transit.

On the waterbus  site  there is  a pdf file  that shows several departure times

so do not think you would need to have them wait

At least that is the way I was reading the schedule  for  202 route 1

Maybe ask  them giving them the day you are there  what the times are  for returning

Check trip advisor for Rotterdam & things to do tab  you can click on private tours  to see  what is offered

I found this  site  is may help 

https://www.guidor.nl/en/

enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

The Waterbus is public transportation, like the bus etc. and they have a timetable, so asking them to wait is not possible. 

It is possible to do it by public transportation, but I guess it takes you more then an hour with a couple of changing metro and bus. 

If you have time enough, then it is doable. Most of the drivers can help you in English. 

It is a lovely place, I live near Kinderdijk, but it is time I have to visit it again. 😉

edit: 

maybe these links will help. 

https://europeforvisitors.com/netherlands/rotterdam/kinderdijk-cruise-practical-information.htm

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Rotterdam-Cruise-Terminal/Kinderdijk

Edited by bluedolph1n

We were in Rotterdam in September 2017 from 11am to 8pm and did both Kinderdijk and Delft on the same day so I think it's do-able. We took the waterbus, which just required us walking across a bridge from the port to get there. Admittedly, the signage at the waterbus stop was lacking, but there was a schedule posted at the place so I knew we were in the right place. My notes seem to indicate that there was usually a return waterbus every 30 minutes (at :05 and :35). My notes also indicate that you can take either Waterbus #20 or #202. #20 requires a short transfer onto a tiny ferryboat (the "Driehoeksveer"). Don't worry about missing this because you really can't miss it as everyone on the waterbus #20 will also be transferring to the tiny ferry.  If you're interested in Delft, Delft is 14 minutes by train from Rotterdam Centraal. Two helpful sites: 

http://www.waterbus.nl

http://www.ns.nl

Edited by leongcpa

Thanks all.  What great advice from everyone.  I was originally thinking about the Watertaxi's that run up and down the river.  (Last time we were in Rotterdam we took a Watertaxi to look at the Old Rotterdam.  We called for a return trip and waited just a few minutes for them to arrive to take us back to the cruise terminal.)

But to Kinderdijk, I think we should take the Waterbus.  I do remember seeing that area when we took the Hop-On, Hop-Off Bus around Rotterdam.  I did not realize that they run back and forth all day long.  As I recall they make a stop on the way to Windmills.  

Hopefully we can get a taxi to the Waterbus as I'm mobility challenged when it comes to walking long distances and up hills or stairs.  If we can get a taxi to take us back and forth to the cruise terminal, I can save my energy for walking at Kinderdjink.