My First Cruise - Couple of silly questions

Faye G

Well, I'm 61 and going on my first cruise in June this year... and I'm bursting with excitement.

Cruise is RC - Southampton UK - Italian Mediterranean cruise 14 nights 15th June on Independence of the Seas.   Junior aft suit 7714 

I'll probably have a dozen questions before I go but my first one is about carrying things on separately on embarkation day.   In general would you expect I'm likely to get suitcases to the cabin within hours or unlikely?  The reason I'm asking is because I'm carrying a nice sized slouch bag with a few necessities but that was going to be it... just hand wipes, tissues etc rather than additional clothing.  I'm making my way to Southampton UK early by train on the day and will wear something that I'd be able to wear (if necessary) for the remainder of the day and, if necessary, into the early evening if I had to.  I know this can vary but I was just wondering if there was an average wait time for them in your experience.

My next question is not important, but just curious:  Provided toiletries.... RC seem to say one thing on one page and something else on another.  I'm taking all my own, naturally, but on one page I saw it stated that Junior Suites toiletries are upgraded to L'occitane (which I really like)...on another, it doesn't (so I assume its just the more expensive suites maybe).  Has anyone else stayed in a Junior suite recently?  I really like their stuff so it's just something I'd like to know.

I'm so looking forward to going on a holiday where getting properly dressed up in the evening is not only okay but required some nights.... to looking over the deck and being in the ocean instead of looking at more hotels... to the food.... the whole thing.. I just can't wait! 

Thank you for any help

Faye x

Your checked bags would normally be delivered before dinner, but every once in a while we get them after dinner, so plan accordingly.

I've not seen L'Occitane toiletries by default in a JS stateroom.  Sometimes we've been able to get them by asking, but I would not expect them.

• Like 1

Hi, Faye.  I have 7714 for the 5/18 and 5/25 cruises.  I promise to take good care of it for you!

There should be toiletries, but I can't guarantee the brand.  There will be shampoo, conditioner, lotion and shower gel (that I use as bubble bath).

So, so hope you enjoy your first cruise.

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  We could tell how excited you are.

We've stayed in one of those aft Junior Suites...you will loooooove the extended balcony and wonderful aft views.  And oh, by the way, did you know you'll have a walk-in closet.

For toiletries, you will most likely get several white tubes ("Revitalize" and made in PRC) of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion...not L'Occitane. Happy Sailing!!! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Oh my goodness... these boards are full of amazing people. I didn't expect so many replies from such lovely helpful people. Thank you all so much.

Yes bonsai3s I knew about the walk in closet and never having been on a cruise I'm only just realising that rooms can be small so this is quite a treat. Lol, I know, I am excited - I'm so transparent and un-cool!   The aft views was hubby's idea but I can't wait to enjoy the views.  Thank you

Vickiw0318 - I can't believe someone here has the same room the month before - they look nice don't they.

missymo... hi ... Thats fantastic.  Hope Indy is the same. I'd always take my toiletries of course and thought the superior brand for a JS was a bit ambitious but I live in hope as L'occitane is so nice.  Thank you.  

This board is brilliant...  least I know a little more now.   Thank you all x

So excited for you in your first cruise!  

Vickiw you should hide something (fun and small) in the room and let only Faye know and see if it’s still there. We have found a poker chip from a cruising friend from a few weeks prior hidden under a painting. 😇.   We have had a few other successful and unsuccessful attempts  with past/future vacation friends. It’s never anything damaging or dangerous to workers or ship. Usually a small note saying congrats for finding me!

Have a fantastic cruise!!  The independence is a beautiful and fun ship. 

Edited by cindivan
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard Faye

As someone who has sailed from the UK a few times,  I can say sailing on any ship from Southampton the turn out on Formal nights is quite high. You will see lots of tuxes and long dresses, the more Brits on board the more dress up nights are adhered to. I always pack Hubbies tux and several long dresses, i'm never seen in the same one twice lol.

I'm not sure what dinning option you have booked but we always go my time dinning and request a sharing table. It's a great way to meet new people and if you don't like your table mates you only have to eat with them once.

This will be our 2nd time on Indy in September, although we only have a Inside promenade room booked we still can't wait. I'm sure you will have a fab time and enjoy the experience cruising brings.

Jules

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic, there is always some great info here. 

I think it's just the newer ships that have  L'occitane toiletries, we've stayed in full suites on the older ships and never had them. Indy is a great ship though, you will love it. We are sailing out of Southampton ourselves in May. I second the comments about formal nights, when the ships sail out of Southampton nearly everyone dresses up so go for it!

Julie

• Like 1

I should hide something, shouldn't I?  I have left a gift for someone who was going to have my cabin immediately afterwards, but I have never contrived to hide something to be found weeks ahead.  I have friends who have though. I will see if they have any useful hints.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh thank you all so much - I am even more excited than ever now.... 

Cindivan's suggestion would be fun eh Vickiw, but either way it will be lovely and it's great to know you're in there before us so will look forward to your review if you do one.

minikiss & kernow I'll defiitely look forward to the formal nights.  My hubby perhaps isn't quite the tux chap I'd like at times but he definitely will enjoy suiting up - I, on the other hand love any excuse to glam up.   I've gone for the My dining minikiss and I was a bit worried about sharing but as this seems to be a thing I've seen said before I assume cruising is a bit different in so many respects so I'll definitely stay open minded to that.

Thanks shopaholic6 - so glad you think so too... it seems to get an overall good review and I'm now believing that for a first cruise I've done something right.

Someone said to me "once you go cruising you'll be hooked' and I can see why if this is the kind of community it evokes.  

Thank you all again so much 

Faye x

Make sure to come back here and let us know what you thought to the ship - and to cruising in general! My first Royal Caribbean cruise was on the Anthem, and whilst we were on it we heard so many people talking about the Indy we thought we had to try it for ourselves! A couple of years later we were lucky enough to sail on her and loved it so much we sailed on her again later that same year! She still remains my favourite of the ships I have been on so far x

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 9:19 PM, Faye G said:

Oh my goodness... these boards are full of amazing people. I didn't expect so many replies from such lovely helpful people. Thank you all so much.

Yes bonsai3s I knew about the walk in closet and never having been on a cruise I'm only just realising that rooms can be small so this is quite a treat. Lol, I know, I am excited - I'm so transparent and un-cool!   The aft views was hubby's idea but I can't wait to enjoy the views.  Thank you

Vickiw0318 - I can't believe someone here has the same room the month before - they look nice don't they.

missymo... hi ... Thats fantastic.  Hope Indy is the same. I'd always take my toiletries of course and thought the superior brand for a JS was a bit ambitious but I live in hope as L'occitane is so nice.  Thank you.  

This board is brilliant...  least I know a little more now.   Thank you all x

You are not 'uncool'.  Your excited is catching and I for one LOVE it.  Keep your excitement going.  You will love your cruise!!!  

I have no information on suite bathroom items.  Sorry...Hopefully one day.  

Formal nights are a suggestion. But if you guys want to dress up, do it and love it.   We don't go formal, but we do dress dressy. Flying over type ocean, we have to watch our luggage space.   

One last thing...You will love your cruise. Keep up the amazing attitude and you will have an amazing time!!!!

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 2:13 PM, Faye G said:

Well, I'm 61 and going on my first cruise in June this year... and I'm bursting with excitement.

Cruise is RC - Southampton UK - Italian Mediterranean cruise 14 nights 15th June on Independence of the Seas.   Junior aft suit 7714 

Congratulations on your first cruise.  We had L’Occitane in our JS on Harmony in November, but that may not be a given on every ship.

We are doing the same cruise as you, only a month later.  Have you checked in with your roll call for this cruise yet?  It is a little more active than the one we have for July.  It is always another good source for information.

Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 2:59 PM, Faye G said:

Someone said to me "once you go cruising you'll be hooked' and I can see why if this is the kind of community it evokes.  
Thank you all again so much 

Faye x

I'll give you my "Three Warnings" for newbies:

1) Expect to spend the rest of your lives planning and looking forward to your next cruise

2) Hope your children get scholarships because you will be spending their College Funds on cruises.
3) If you don't gain at least 5 pounds, you didn't have enough fun.

The other suggestion that others have not given you is  Find your ROLLCALL BOARD, and join in.

Here's the link (click on the picture below).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

To everyone on this cruise tomorrow
Looking forward to meeting you all over the next 2 weeks - hope you are all packed and ready to go.... I think it's going to be fab! 
Just one more sleep! 😁