First Time Cruising Celebrity...beginning to get concerned

AnnemarieC76

I do somewhat understand the OP's concern...Our only other cruise before the one we are booked on was on the SS Norway on our honeymoon 30 years ago.  On that ship there were 2 dining rooms, but they were the same menu and you were just randomly assigned to one or the other.  We had a minuscule room with a tiny porthole.  The other 2 couples at our table that week were in suites, but we all got along famously.  I do not remember there being any special treatment for the suite guests other than larger rooms... no Retreat, BLU or Luminae.  I do not think there was anyplace on the ship that we could not go, but they could....but my memories could be faulty and times definitely do change.  Although large for the time, the Norway is tiny compared to the mega ships of today, so they can have alternate dining and these private areas for the suite guests and we will not care one wit.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I don't understand this thought process. 

Staying is a suite is not like an exclusive membership where you can only join if you're in an accepted tax bracket; nominated by another member or have the right race, religion, sex, pedigree or national origin to get in to the club.

Anyone can stay in a suite, and get all the benefits of the suite. All you have to do is pay for it.  

And if someone wants to flaunt their suite stay, they're idiots and I ignore it. 

I don't see a problem.  

We are definitely are not top tier economically, but did sail concierge on Disney, would have gotten us into the retreat on Celebrity, and while it was okay we found we liked cruising more often then having our own lounge and sun deck. We sail for the overall experience not the room and lounge, but I know everyone has different preferences. I have read of some with stressful jobs that just love to spend their cruise on the veranda relaxing. 

I am am glad we didn’t run into any snobby people onboard, but had we I find them the easiest to ignore, even if they are table mates with us:)

• Like 1

If I did not buy a first class ticket in an airplane then I won’t be sitting in that section.  If I did not book a suite then I will not be in the suites only area (which exists on multiple lines, not just Celebrity.)  No one will know onboard what cabin I’m in.  I prefer to not book suites so I can cruise more often.  No one on board knows my net worth so I don’t think they can make assumptions based on my cabin type.

• Like 2

Very seldom does the category cabin pop up in conversation but the drink package and how they are getting their moneys worth happens all the time, at a bar, in the theater, at meals, etc. I would keep that to myself, excessive alcohol consumption was a thing in college but not so much now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AnnemarieC76 said:

I have been on numerous cruises in the past all NCL and RCCL...this is my first time booking a cruise on Celebrity.  The itinerary and timing worked out perfect.  There are four of in our family so we decided to book 2 inside cabins.  In the past I have tried all types of cabins; however, it made the most sense for us to go with inside this time.  HOWEVER, after reading through these boards I am beginning to think that booking Celebrity might have been a mistake..it is appearing as though if you book an inside cabin you are treated as though you are a second class citizen...not just from the staff but from some of the passengers as well...I have read more about the areas we will not be permitted in than I have about the areas we will be permitted in.   Am I getting the wrong impression? or Should I book us on a different cruise line?  I am looking for honest answers...please!  

No PAX knows what cabin you are in

and it only matters if you are eating in Blu/Luminae (aqua/suite) as far as meals

You will have the same level of service in MDR, Ocean View Cafe, spa, bars, shows etc 

You will have a fabulous time. 

Many loyal Celebrity pax sail inside because it represents a great value and they enjoy the same amenities

Happy Sailing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Actually, I agree with the original poster.  I have sailed on Celebrity three times but the last sailing I felt the "stuffiness".  The "That's only for the **** Class"   "You can only dine there if you are in the **** Class"   "You can't go into Michael's Club, that's only if you are in the **** Class" - that one really gets me because our first cruise on Celebrity we could enjoy the Michael's Club but now we are turned away at the door.

I understand the excitement of being in the upper tiers of cruising but it does make us "ship rats" feel like we are on the Titanic in lower status just lucky to be on the ship.  Before I get jumped on, one specific memory is on the Reflection next to the MDR was a special "**** Class only" dining room that was in full view.  That was kind of rude.  Was I suppose to have these feelings of "Oh!  I can't wait until I am in that Class!".  That's probably what marketing is aiming for......

It's nice and all and I congratulate those of you that can afford those benefits but perhaps it would be better not to be rubbed in our faces (that statement was for Celebrity).  I'm going on Celebrity next year and I am just going to enjoy my cruise have fond memories of the Good Ole Days when my husband and I enjoyed Michael's Club.

We sailed on Celebrity in the days when Michaels Club was a bar/lounge open to all. We didn't care for it then since to us it seemed dark and stuffy. We don't miss it now. 

As far as "class" goes we view that a cabin category that anyone who cares to spend the required dollars can sail in the given cabin. Class is not purchased when viewed as a personality trait. That comes from understanding, kindness, manners and can't be purchased. Nor can it be diminished by others passing judgement. OP, don't let anyone make you feel "less than." Your dollars got you and your children on a beautiful ship with lots of choices, lots of activities, food, entertainment and fun and a wonderful staff to cater to you and make you feel fortunate and pampered. Your fellow passengers don't care whether you're in an inside cabin or a Royal Suite. (At least we don't... and I don't find us very different than the majority of passengers with whom we've sailed. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Very seldom does the category cabin pop up in conversation but the drink package and how they are getting their moneys worth happens all the time, at a bar, in the theater, at meals, etc. I would keep that to myself, excessive alcohol consumption was a thing in college but not so much now.

I talk in friendly ways with lots of fellow passengers, and DH can strike up a conversation (and does) with anyone and everyone. I can honestly say that neither of us has ever come across anyone on all of our cruises on any line we've cruised who discussed getting their money's worth from a drink package. We don't flaunt our rank (or lack thereof) in Captains Club, or our cabin choice. The only way anyone would know would be if they happen to see us hand over a particularly colored card.  We don't bother to look at the color of other people's cards.  If we had a choice, all cards would be colored the same, but that's out of our control. Who cares!?! Honestly, whether you're in a suite, an inside, have a premium beverage package or none, you're only purchasing, or should I say renting the privileges for a finite amount of time. Have fun. Relax. Enjoy all there is to do rather than fret over what you can't. No one on the ship owns a private mega yacht. We're all there in a rental basis!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, helen haywood said:

If I did not buy a first class ticket in an airplane then I won’t be sitting in that section.  If I did not book a suite then I will not be in the suites only area (which exists on multiple lines, not just Celebrity.)  No one will know onboard what cabin I’m in.  I prefer to not book suites so I can cruise more often.  No one on board knows my net worth so I don’t think they can make assumptions based on my cabin type.

🙂 I agree; however, first class and suites are seats and cabins not statuses

My concern was us being treated "less then" 

I am a huge believer in you get what you pay for - but if someone buys no name sneakers it does not mean it is okay for me to step on them 

Thank you everyone so much for your responses...I feel so much more at ease...of course now I have to wait lol!

I am so excited to be cruising again (it has been many years) and now because of all of you I am super excited to be trying out a new cruise line!! 

I will be following these boards like crazy and looking for all the tips and hints!!

Thank you again 🛥️

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AnnemarieC76 said:

I can not tell you how much I appreciate the response and reassurance...I will have to go back through posts to find some that caused me eeek red flags.  I can not quote verbatim but some of the mentioned comments were to the effect of inside passengers feeling as though they were also entitled to Blu - or insiders thinking they should be on the same level as suite when it comes to reservations - like I said  I will go through the posts and when I see them again I will snip them - truthfully the other passengers are the least of my concern - I can not change anyone's attitude it is all in my reaction - my larger concern was the staff differentiating - I hope that makes sense...

No difference in benefits or access to anything on the ship for Inside cabins.  Who would even know?  You will be able to enjoy every thing that is available for cabins that go from Inside through Ocean view and Balcony and Concierge Class. The only distinction on any ship for Celebrity is if you pay a lot extra for a suite or Aqua Class.  These cabins come with access to their own restaurants.  Suites have access to Michael's Club which is being renamed The Retreat Lounge.  There is a lot of confusion caused on these boards with some posters who are trying to stir the pot on class distinctions for whatever reason.  Everything is just a buying choice.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AnnemarieC76 said:

🙂 I agree; however, first class and suites are seats and cabins not statuses

My concern was us being treated "less then" 

I am a huge believer in you get what you pay for - but if someone buys no name sneakers it does not mean it is okay for me to step on them 

Rest assured that your sneakers, designer or no name won't be stepped on by fellow passenger's or crew.

• Like 1

While there are snobs, how many times has everyone exposed to them been forced to recognize that higher "class" does not confer classiness? Some people are just determined to make people around them unhappy. I try to ignore them by feeling superior to such stupid nincompoops!

• Like 1

I only sail in suites, mainly for the larger room size.  I sometimes even talk to the hoi polloi.  Suite guests don't have their own activities so people from top suites to insides are constantly mingling.  There is no suites-only trivia game, for instance, so if you like trivia, you are stuck playing with the plebes (wearing no-name shoes!)  :classic_wink:

In all seriousness, anyone who is status-conscious as far as labels goes is usually trashy themselves, whether or not they have money.  I have not personally run into that on any cruise.  Most of the people I've chatted with in the suites lounge or restaurant are solidly middle class, very down-to-earth, and friendly.

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

No difference in benefits or access to anything on the ship for Inside cabins.  Who would even know?  You will be able to enjoy every thing that is available for cabins that go from Inside through Ocean view and Balcony and Concierge Class. The only distinction on any ship for Celebrity is if you pay a lot extra for a suite or Aqua Class.  These cabins come with access to their own restaurants.  Suites have access to Michael's Club which is being renamed The Retreat Lounge.  There is a lot of confusion caused on these boards with some posters who are trying to stir the pot on class distinctions for whatever reason.  Everything is just a buying choice.

I hope I am not the one stirring the pot.  That was not my intent.  I clearly understand that when you pay extra $$$ you are entitled to your own dining room and lounge for that classification (Aqua, Blue....).  What I said was that Celebrity should not put that entitled dining room right next to the MDR in full view showing that only that class of cruisers (who paid extra $$$) have their own dining room.  Why do they need their own dining room?  Better service?  Better menu?  It makes you feel like the MDR is not a special dining experience.

Frankly, yes, I can afford a suite and buy my entitlement to the restaurant, lounge and special invites but I can only do that for one cruise which amounts to a lot of saving of my hard earned money and then I wouldn't be able to cruise for another three years.  So, to the person who said, "You just have to pay for it".  It's not that simple.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AnnemarieC76 said:

I have been on numerous cruises in the past all NCL and RCCL...this is my first time booking a cruise on Celebrity.  The itinerary and timing worked out perfect.  There are four of in our family so we decided to book 2 inside cabins.  In the past I have tried all types of cabins; however, it made the most sense for us to go with inside this time.  HOWEVER, after reading through these boards I am beginning to think that booking Celebrity might have been a mistake..it is appearing as though if you book an inside cabin you are treated as though you are a second class citizen...not just from the staff but from some of the passengers as well...I have read more about the areas we will not be permitted in than I have about the areas we will be permitted in.   Am I getting the wrong impression? or Should I book us on a different cruise line?  I am looking for honest answers...please!  

As others have mentioned... dont worry.   I am/was a veteran NCL cruiser (about 14 cruises and most of their fleet).  We switched to celebrity a couple years ago.  The classes are very similar (aqua is similar to ncl spa suite).  What you *WILL* notice is that the service and food is much better.  (yes, even in the mdr).

Edited by Ktuluorion
accidently didnt put a reply
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I only sail in suites, mainly for the larger room size.  I sometimes even talk to the hoi polloi.  Suite guests don't have their own activities so people from top suites to insides are constantly mingling.  There is no suites-only trivia game, for instance, so if you like trivia, you are stuck playing with the plebes (wearing no-name shoes!)  :classic_wink:

In all seriousness, anyone who is status-conscious as far as labels goes is usually trashy themselves, whether or not they have money.  I have not personally run into that on any cruise.  Most of the people I've chatted with in the suites lounge or restaurant are solidly middle class, very down-to-earth, and friendly.

Thanks!!! 🙂

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

What I said was that Celebrity should not put that entitled dining room right next to the MDR in full view showing that only that class of cruisers (who paid extra $$$) have their own dining room.

Luminae was added to an existing fleet of ships and is co-located with the MDR because they all share one kitchen.  The entrance to Luminae was once an entrance to the MDR.  This was a practical decision more than a marketing one.  The newest ship has Luminae in a different area.

Of course Celebrity makes every effort to convince suite dwellers they are special.  It helps justify those nosebleed prices.  Same with Aqua.  

Remember though that on Summit (pre-upgrade) out of over 1,000 cabins only 50 are suites and 37 Aqua.   That's less than 10%.  Meanwhile there are over 200 inside cabins.

44 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Celebrity should not put that entitled dining room right next to the MDR in full view showing that only that class of cruisers (who paid extra $$$) have their own dining room. 

They probably share the same kitchen, storerooms, dishwasher, back of the house space, etc....  It makes sense that the dining rooms be close together.

Really ... if anyone treats you "less than" for any reason - whether it's b/c you're in an inside cabin (which would be the dumbest reason EVER) or b/c you have small children or because they don't like the way you dress or because you dared to breathe the same air as them ... that's THEIR friggin' problem and you can bet your bottom dollar you are not the only one they with which they are finding fault.  Just turn the other cheek and continue enjoying your vacation.  On our recent cruise, there were some rude people, loud people, judgey people, angry people, whiny people.  But, more importantly, there were so many more kind people, smiling people, happy people, chatty people, lovely people, open-minded people, FUN people everywhere.  Pay attention to these types of folks and don't let the party poopers ruin your hard-earned vacation with your children.  Celebrity is a great cruise line; I hope you have a wonderful trip!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Luminae was added to an existing fleet of ships and is co-located with the MDR because they all share one kitchen.  The entrance to Luminae was once an entrance to the MDR.  This was a practical decision more than a marketing one.  The newest ship has Luminae in a different area.

When Blu and Luminae were first created and installed to the M-class ships they were both carved out of the MDR.

There is a snobbiness I've noticed from Celebrity Elites, when they refer to Carnival Cruises.  Many people who haven't sailed on Carnival think Carnival would be far beneath their level of desired quality and service.  

4 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

There is a snobbiness I've noticed from Celebrity Elites, when they refer to Carnival Cruises.  Many people who haven't sailed on Carnival think Carnival would be far beneath their level of desired quality and service.  

I have seen many of the posts to which you refer and am not disputing their existence. However the attributution of those negative posts to a particular level of Captains Club by you I think is a leap. Many cruisers on this board make no reference to their own levels in the loyalty club so how you could know that information, or can quantify it puts your point in doubt. It seems more like you are attacking an entire group over your perceptions that post by a few individuals reflects the attitudes of all. That is a very dangerous slippery slope to descend. Valuation of each person's opinion as an opinion of only just that person would serve better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1