Deck AND Beach Parties?

maryella

Looking forward to our March 23 departure on Star Breeze through the Caribbean. We have been on several sailings on the Wind Surf, Pride and Legend. I know Windstar still has the Beach BBQ but was wondering if they still have the deck party event? Always a great time! However I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere and was hoping they still throw this great Buffet on deck? 

I think they're typically not mentioned, even on board. You'll suddenly get an announcement that the BBQ is the next night. If you ask at the desk while you're in the process of doing something like booking candles they'll sometimes tell you.

We've found them to be so ingrained that even when the weather is bad they'll have the BBQ in Amphora. The chow is still great but the experience just isn't the same.

Edited by milepig

8 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

We did not have the deck barbecue on the Pride in December.

Where were you? There's been some chat about not having them in US waters - like the Alaska itins - because of US health code restrictions.

+1 on Costa Rica and Panama. Also had both on Tokyo-Tianjin and on Tianjin-Hong Kong. (Oct, Nov 2018) I would note that reading the Daily Schedule carefully is important, because the start time can vary, and the full-day shore excursions can almost impinge on the Deck BBQ. If you have an overnight port with a spectacular view, watch for a limited-capacity Dinner Under The Stars with (I presume) a modified Amphora menu.

I also did a San Juan-San Juan cruise this past December and there was no deck BBQ. I was very disappointed. I could not get a straight answer from any of the staff as to why not. On prior Windstar cruises it was one of the highlights.

The United States Public Health Service (USPH) recently decided that having an outdoor BBQ on a cruise ship is potentially hazardous to your health.

They now require some sort of cover over you and the food to prevent insects, birds and their waste products from hurtling out of the sky into your food.

They also require a handwashing station, with soap, hot water, refuse receptacle, and approved handwashing signage to be located within 24 feet of anybody preparing your food. Furthermore, the required handwashing station cannot be located in a space where a door must be opened or closed to get to and from the handwashing.

This creates several challenges for cruise ships; moving the BBQ essentially indoors and installing handwashing stations in open public areas.

Until this is done, the ship cannot legally offer a BBQ - regardless of where in the world it might be sailing.

I'm sure that those reading about this will be rushing down to their local Home Depot to purchase all the building materials required to make their next home BBQ safe and legally compliant.

Your tax dollars at work...............................................

Edited by Donald
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Donald said:

The United States Public Health Service (USPH) recently decided that having an outdoor BBQ on a cruise ship is potentially hazardous to your health.

They now require some sort of cover over you and the food to prevent insects, birds and their waste products from hurtling out of the sky into your food.

They also require a handwashing station, with soap, hot water, refuse receptacle, and approved handwashing signage to be located within 24 feet of anybody preparing your food. Furthermore, the required handwashing station cannot be located in a space where a door must be opened or closed to get to and from the handwashing.

This creates several challenges for cruise ships; moving the BBQ essentially indoors and installing handwashing stations in open public areas.

Until this is done, the ship cannot legally offer a BBQ - regardless of where in the world it might be sailing.

I'm sure that those reading about this will be rushing down to their local Home Depot to purchase all the building materials required to make their next home BBQ safe and legally compliant.

Your tax dollars at work...............................................

If the ship is not sailing to or from an American port (including Puerto Rico), why would the USPH regulations apply? It doesn't make sense that they would cancel the deck BBQ for other itineraries, such as the Mediterranean.

• Like 1

The ship is not even registered in the USA so agree with ride the ride this makes no sense. And misty morning reported that on the classic Caribbean which I believe is sxm RT that they had the deck bbq in early February. Hmmmm

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ridethetide said:

If the ship is not sailing to or from an American port (including Puerto Rico), why would the USPH regulations apply? It doesn't make sense that they would cancel the deck BBQ for other itineraries, such as the Mediterranean.

The USPH Service claims jurisdiction over any cruise ship that:

1. Calls at a US port - ever.

2. Has any sister ships that call at a US port - ever.

3. Carries American passengers anywhere in the world.

4. Sells cruises in the USA.

You are correct. It doesn't make any sense. But that is the way they operate.

USPH Inspectors only visit and inspect ships in US Waters - and in shipyards and dry docks in Europe and Asia where the ships are being built or renovated.

The USPH goal is cleanliness, and good health of all passengers onboard cruise ships. That is a very honorable goal. But the methods they use to enforce their sometimes over-the-top regulations are a bit draconian.

If you need more information, you can Google USPH VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program) Manual 2018

Edited by BruceMuzz

1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

You must feel strongly about this, “Donald”, to make this your first post after being a member for 17 years.

You are correct. I do.

But the 17 year membership doesn't make any more sense than the USPH regulations.