Strange items you pack... for your cruise?

Floridadude

I have been on 45 + cruises in the last 20 years.

My packing habits sure have changed.

I will be the first to admit I have some strange habits.

I pack my own bath towels from home, older ones that I can just throw before cruise is over.

I HATE scratchy cruise ship towels!

Cruise ship toilet paper, aka sandpaper on a roll.

I bring my own Cottonelle.

I pack older clothes that I don’t care for anymore, and leave in a bag last day of cruise with note so cabin steward knows their garbage.

That way I have an empty suitcase for lots of great things I buy at the ports of call.

Or since I ask friends and family to save their old suitcases when getting new ones, I sometimes just leave everything in my suitcase for trash with note and leave empty handed. Or they can be donated to someone that needs clothing in great condition.

Sometimes I’ll board the ship with just an empty suitcase and buy new clothing on the ship or at the ports. Love the Bamboo clothing and sheet store.

Last cruise brought back a whole set of unique fish shaped dinner plates, salad bowls, coffee mugs.

That was heavy, thank goodness for elevators on ship and port terminal.

My travel friend has definitely gone with an empty suitcase because she plans on buying a lot of stuff in our travels. One of my other friends does the bring old shirts and socks and trash them along the way to free up space for new things or as a way to get rid of old things. 

I for sure packed stuff on my first cruise that was unnecessary but since I had been heavily land based // plane traveling for years before, I didn't over-pack but because I didn't have to fly I feel like I packed more than I would have normally.   

The OP might want to consider the extra work she is causing her steward when she departs, leaving a suitcase, clothes, and towels. All of that needs to be lugged away by the steward when he has  so many rooms to clean in preparation for new guests. But to each his/her own. And at least he/she didn’t imply that the stewards are happy to keep all the crap. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/27/2019 at 11:11 AM, Floridadude said:

There a reason cruise ship toilet paper is so flimsy and rough at the same time.  Black water (toilet) plumbing on a cruise ship isn't like a city sewer; it's more like a septic system.  The toilet paper must break down easily in the water; otherwise, it could take up unnecessary space or even clog pipes.  (And then you'll be "that person".)  Fancy stuff like Charmin or Cottonelle requires a bigger volume of water and a stronger flow rate to break down, than what a typical cruise ship has.  Vacuum flushes in toilets nonewithstanding.

Gray water (everything other than toilets) plumbing isn't built to handle anything non-liquid, obviously.  Galley sinks probably have garbage disposers.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I have a home based custom sugar cookie business and I typically bring cookies to pass out to ship employees on a cruise. I also give them to tour guides and such on excursions. It makes me happy to see such big smiles when I give a crew member a cookie. 

2101B1EC-22A5-472A-BDC6-F353098EB9C0.jpeg

• Like 6

Those custom cookies are so cute!! 

Our last cruise, I folded my tip bills into little shirts - it was a Hawaiian cruise. I was thinking like little Hawaiian shirts! 😛 I put them into little envelopes with a Hawaiian print and the word "Mahalo" (Hawaiian for "thank you") printed across them. 

• Like 7

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

On my first cruise I took an ice bag and a carpenter's folding ruler. I had dislocated my shoulder the week before--the ruler was for a mobility exercise where you hold the ends of a stick in both hands and use the good arm to push the injured one.

Some will consider this to be a "strange item" that I do not pack for a cruise, but my experience has proved that it is an item that I ought to pack.

What is it?  a pocket comb.  I like to keep what little hair I have left  neat and properly combed.  More often than not, I somehow manage to loose my pocket comb during a cruise.  Then, I am shopping for a new one.  The ship's gift shop employees give me "odd" looks when I ask if they have any.  Usually, I have been able to find a replacement with the most surprising (to me) being at Falmouth at a small drug store type place within the enclosed port area.  

• 2 months later...

Things on must take list

Clock battery powered with Temperature read out ( to set room temp )

Small knife blade about 2 inches to cut fruit

Wine saver for bottled wine

Small bottle of creme balsamic vinegar  for salads make from stuff from buffet for lunch 

Disposable pepper grinder for food bought back to cabin from buffet

otherwise normal stuff...

Don

• 3 weeks later...

I always pack Way too much. We usually drive to the ports (FL, NOLA, Galveston) except when going overseas, Alaska, or Canada/New England.

1. Magnetic hooks

2. Multi outlet/USB adapter plug

3. Travel clock with Temp

4. Lysol & Ferbrez small space air freshener

5. Dial Foaming pop for the sink

6. Older Pillows in Vacuum bags (and leave them behind)

7. Sticky notes, pens & highlighters

8. reusable straws

9. AC/DC fan

10. Downy Wrinkle Releaser spray

11. small med kit with bandages, stomach meds, sunblock, ...

• 1 year later...

Last 2 cruises I packed:

- a Wireless Charger with Desk Organizer.

A great place to have your phone charging when in the room and put a few receipts etc..
Easier than plugging unplugging phone and keeps it charged up for those long days

-magnets as seen in other posts

My favorite use is on the door to hang up our sea passes.

Charger.jpg

• Like 3

A crap ton of various sized ziploc bags, glow bracelets/necklaces because we either let the kids use them when they are w/us or I use them as floor nightlights to prevent toe stubbing. I can’t sleep with normal brightness of nightlight 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 12:11 PM, Floridadude said:

Please for the love of all that is holy DO NOT DO THIS. Cruise ship plumbing is NOT like your household plumbing and will back up really easily with the wrong things going down it- including heavier toilet paper. Most cruise lines have warnings all over the bathroom now that you'll get fined if your room is found to have caused the backup by breaking these rules.

• Like 3

On 2/27/2019 at 12:11 PM, Floridadude said:

I must agree with others that bringing your own toilet paper that will not comply with the cruise ship's machinery will disturb the processing of trash, waste and waste water. Foreign material introduced may cause a disruption and damage the operation.

We would not thing of bring items not appropriate to use on board. Did you ever think of asking the cabin attendants for other items that will help you. 

Granted after traveling in Europe and other countries, I agree that TP are not like those in the USA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Granted after traveling in Europe and other countries, I agree that TP are not like those in the USA. 

Agree with everyone who has posted to use only the toilet paper that is supplied by the ship.  Every ship's Environmental Officer that I have heard speak has mentioned the problems that the waste and plumbing system can encounter if incorrect items are flushed into the system.  It is true that if a severe back-up and a plumbing repair is required because of this can be traced to a specific cabin, a charge can be levied for the cost of the repair.  

Maybe the most different toilet paper I have encountered was in China.  Ashore, the paper was more like wax paper.  The ship had to purchase toilet paper in China when a supply container didn't arrive on time.  That paper was also rather different, but, not quite like what I experienced at times during my Chinese excursions.  

• Like 1