shorts in dinning rooms

i can see at evening meal but not for breakfast or lunch i'm in  a wheelchair so i wont be going to buffets i'm on level 3 and i think there is a dining room on that level not far from me. Do you know what kind of bar is at the entrance ot restaurant 

3 minutes ago, watcher4905 said:

i can see at evening meal but not for breakfast or lunch i'm in  a wheelchair so i wont be going to buffets i'm on level 3 and i think there is a dining room on that level not far from me. Do you know what kind of bar is at the entrance ot restaurant 

Can't think of any bars at the entrance to the dining room.

Only time I've witnessed anyone turned away wearing shorts at Dinner last 3-4yrs was only on a Formal nite and even that isn't 100% on Royal anymore. Also usually they were in Tank Top and Flip Flops... Breakfast/Lunch not issue in many years... Welcome to Cruise Critic!

1 hour ago, watcher4905 said:

Breakfast and lunch is not on every deck of the MDR.  I think its usually on the bottom level of the MDR which would work for you.  You are assigned a dining room for dinner which may or may not be on your deck.  You could possibly arrange with restaurant staff to get seating on your floor.  Also note that you will have to do buffet or some other venue for lunch on port days if you stay on the ship, as the MDR is not usually open then.  I do believe the lobby bar is just outside the MDR on some ships (I know Jewel did).   

2 hours ago, watcher4905 said:

My husband is in a wheelchair and the staff at the Windjammer were AMAZING. They gave him hand sanitizer to get in rather than trying to get through the hand washing room. Then they assisted him with getting his food and drink and getting him back to his table. Every single day that he went there, they were so quick to offer assistance. They remembered his name and his drink. By the end of our 8 days, they could practically guess what he wanted to eat. Seriously, they were so amazing. I cannot say enough about the Windjammer staff on Harmony. If that's what is holding you back from eating in the buffet, don't let it! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, knon24 said:

My husband is in a wheelchair and the staff at the Windjammer were AMAZING. They gave him hand sanitizer to get in rather than trying to get through the hand washing room. Then they assisted him with getting his food and drink and getting him back to his table. Every single day that he went there, they were so quick to offer assistance. They remembered his name and his drink. By the end of our 8 days, they could practically guess what he wanted to eat. Seriously, they were so amazing. I cannot say enough about the Windjammer staff on Harmony. If that's what is holding you back from eating in the buffet, don't let it! 

We have seen this wonderful service to those that needed it on many RCI ships and while it wasn't something that we personally needed ... we have noticed this. Agree...OP should give the WJ a try.

• Like 2

I've actually been turned away from the MDR for wearing shorts on a non-formal night.  This was on the Grandeur maybe 2 years ago.  It was one of my solo cruises so I came back from port and went straight to the MDR for dinner.  I had forgotten i was still wearing shorts during the day.  You could say I didn't have my wife dress me because she wasn't with me on that particular cruise.

It is very hit or miss.  I've seen people with shorts in the MDR for dinner before, but at the same time, I've been turned away for wearing shorts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

I've actually been turned away from the MDR for wearing shorts on a non-formal night.  This was on the Grandeur maybe 2 years ago.  It was one of my solo cruises so I came back from port and went straight to the MDR for dinner.  I had forgotten i was still wearing shorts during the day.  You could say I didn't have my wife dress me because she wasn't with me on that particular cruise.

It is very hit or miss.  I've seen people with shorts in the MDR for dinner before, but at the same time, I've been turned away for wearing shorts.

SMH :classic_rolleyes:. Glad you remembered to put on something after you got out of the shower without your wife dressing you. 😜

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, davekathy said:

SMH :classic_rolleyes:. Glad you remembered to put on something after you got out of the shower without your wife dressing you. 😜

The only time I ever really wear shorts is on a cruise, so it was easy to forget, but if my wife was with me, she would have pointed that out to me :classic_huh:

20 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

Yeah, as I said as resent 14 months ago watched a few turned away but was on Formal nite and one or two was also in tank top. Same the year before, a few. My last 3 cruises in Oct/Nov table was back/corner by window of Main Dining so not aware in was enforced. Not judging, just reporting

Edited by ONECRUISER

So many people justify wearing shorts when nicer attire is only "suggested" because it is not required, but when a code allegedly is required lots of people still ignore it because it is not "enforced." They then turn on anyone who objects, saying it won't kill them, and it is no one else's business what someone wears, and blah blah blah.  

I say, get rid of dress code altogether, but if there is one, we clearly need better enforcement. Royal could make it another premium attraction to increase revenue: "Keel haul 'em and flog the survivors!" "Aye, aye, Cap'n!"

• Like 2

Just off the Jewel on a 10 night cruise.  Saw shorts in Main Dining and in Specialty Dining, even ball caps both regular nights and Formal Nights.  No enforcement of dress code on the Jewel.  When I said something to our staff, I got a shrug and a statement that mentioned Management really doesn't enforce it any more.

9 minutes ago, Ron Don said:

Just off the Jewel on a 10 night cruise.  Saw shorts in Main Dining and in Specialty Dining, even ball caps both regular nights and Formal Nights.  No enforcement of dress code on the Jewel.  When I said something to our staff, I got a shrug and a statement that mentioned Management really doesn't enforce it any more.

We did a 9 day cruise on the Jewel in February, we had the same experience.  

As long as it's not a dripping wet bathing suit and tank I don't think they will turn them away. My last two cruises there were a lot of men with shorts and a regular tee shirt(no Collar) on formal night, so I guess not much is enforced. Saw a lady in Chops with a bathing suit and a mesh cover-up.