What is your best secret/piece of advice for new RC cruisers?

In Nov 2017 I went on my first cruise in about 15 years (oasis).  Since it had been so long I did a lot of research (which was helpful).  The first thing everyone says is to avoid Windjammer on departure day for lunch.  However, I was with a group of ten people and they all wanted that - but guess what, it wasn't bad, they were seating people and it only took a few minutes to get a table.  We all enjoyed it.  The point to this story is to do what suits you. 

So after that, my tips would be, pack chair clips (the pool decks get very windy), magnetic hooks for the room, read the cruise compasses to see what interests you.   On Oasis we went to the Sun Deck on Deck 14 and there was no one there, it was a great secret spot - check to see if Harmony has any secret spots like that.  If you don't have reservations, still try to go to shows, we got into several just by waiting in line (although I do recommend reservations).  Don't be afraid to order more then 1 meal or app - there were nights people in my party ordered two apps or a combo of two meals (ie: 2nd formal night I ordered the beef tenderloin and added two lobster tails).  I hope you have a great trip!

If you have a question about something, post it here!  Or talk to a friend that cruises RCI a lot!

Freind 2 is going on a cruise.  He asked me and friend 1 some questions... Freind 1 has only done 1 cruise, and told him many out of date things...  I’m like- dude, that’s wrong, and gave accurate info (some of it thanks to you awesome people like Bob :))

22 hours ago, Tigerlawmpw said:

My family is going on its first Royal Caribbean cruise (Harmony of the Seas / Eastern Caribbean)  and I wanted to see if all of the experts on the board would be willing to provide any little secrets and/or pieces of advice to help me make this the best vacation ever for my family!  🙂

thanks in advance for the help!

I say this with all the respect I can to all the great posters on this forum...

We all cruise for different needs and in different ways, so many answers you are getting are biased to that person's way of cruising or what they like best about the ship. Some of the opinions expressed so far may be the thing you hate the worst about the ship.

I think a first cruise should not be formulated by other "experienced" cruisers with tips and tricks.

The initial awe of stepping onto the ship and learning things as you go should be the #1 priority for this family.... go over your cruise planner on line, ensure you book your shows/events, google what you wish to regarding the ship, read reviews about Harmony...  just go with the flow and have an incredible time. Don't worry! You'll figure it all out.

The next cruise or two you will realize more things, and that's when tips and tricks would be better for you in my humble opinion.

Have a great time :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

Don't forget to pack closed toed shoes. I almost always wear sandals and didn't pack tennis shoes on one of the 1st cruises I went on,  and found out I couldn't climb the rock wall. Seems like there was something else I missed out on due to shoes. Ziploc baggies are a great thing to pack as well.  Many uses for them. A collapsible hamper for dirty clothes with dryer sheets for smell is great too. Have a great time! 

• Like 3

If you post what type of room(s) you have and what ages your kids are, we can give some more specialized advice, too.  

For example, if you're all in the same room, I'd recommend a shoe organizer for keeping small things orderly, but if you're just two people per room, that's not an issue.  Similarly, tips are going to be different for a balcony or an inside or a suite.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 7:57 PM, matj2000 said:

Don't micro-manage your trip.

Don't plan every second of the day.

Don't  try to find everything you can about the ships nook & crannies.

Don't read the Daily Compass's people post here.

Don't Look over every menu available that people post here.

Find out the basics and learn as you go.

To add to the above....PLAN on having FUN and you will!!!  Plan your excursions in advance -- too much stress going to the excursion desk on embarkation day, and not many choices left.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:35 PM, Host Clarea said:

Bring half the clothes you think you need and twice the money.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:39 PM, Johnamac123 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.. Clarea knows more about Royal Caribbean than Royal Caribbean knows about Royal Caribbean....

Lots of first time cruisers think this advice is meant to be funny. It's not. Most people will pack way too many clothes and not bring enough cash. I have reduced my clothing for a 7 day cruise down to where it will all fit in a carry on. I cannot get my wife to reduce the amount of clothes she brings. Every cruise we go on, she brings home clothes that she never wore. As for the money, bring cash, lots of it. Most people think "I have a credit card, I'll be fine". All purchases on the ship will go on your on board expense account so you will not need cash for those things. However, there will be occasions where you will want to give someone a cash tip. You will need cash for baggage handlers (at the airport and the pier) and taxis. Do you have shore excursions planned? You'll probably want to tip your guide. What about when you get hungry while in port and you want to but something to snack on? Souvenirs? If you by from a "street vendor" most of them won't take a credit card.

• Like 1

One thing that is different on Royal vs. Disney is you don't have to wait until you PIF before you book shows/excursions (if booking through the cruise line) dining, etc... Also, there isn't a set date that things are released so you have to keep an eye on your cruise planner. Also, if you book something, you pay at the time of booking. 

We aren't big cruisers and this is our first cruise on Royal in quite a few years so it has been a learning experience for me too. 

39 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

tie your swimtrunks REALLY TIGHT before going on flowrider.

Hmmm.... I just realized I might have been missing out on another whole area of entertainment onboard. :classic_biggrin:

Erika

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

If you post what type of room(s) you have and what ages your kids are, we can give some more specialized advice, too.  

For example, if you're all in the same room, I'd recommend a shoe organizer for keeping small things orderly, but if you're just two people per room, that's not an issue.  Similarly, tips are going to be different for a balcony or an inside or a suite.

My wife and I are staying in a ocean balcony room. Nothin fancy. My in-laws are watching our five year old so it's just us on this Cruise. ( we've already done to Disney cruises in the pass but this is our first RC cruise)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tigerlawmpw said:

My wife and I are staying in a ocean balcony room. Nothin fancy. My in-laws are watching our five year old so it's just us on this Cruise. ( we've already done to Disney cruises in the pass but this is our first RC cruise)

Then plan nothing and just enjoy being kid free and relaxed and go with the flow 🙂  

6 hours ago, Tigerlawmpw said:

In that case, remember that the balconies are covered by the video surveillance system. 😄

• Like 1

Main dining room has breakfast every morning except the last -- you don't have to fight the unwashed masses in the Windjammer (buffet) if you don't want to!

Main dining room also has lunch on sea days, including my absolutely favorite Tutti Salad Bar, plus a variety of other buffet items, plus a menu.  You can order off the menu AND do the buffet/salad bar items.  On port days, unfortunately, they don't offer this lunch option in the Main Dining Room.

• Like 1

On port days that involve a beach visit, you'll need a towel. To save time, I suggest that you pick up one or two towels on the pool deck the day before. Upon returning to the ship, there is usually a towel drop on the pier before the gangway.  Make sure that the attendent scans in the correct number of towels that you return.

• Like 1