Death on Oasis today?

jrljel

Sweet we’re on the Majesty of the Seas in the early 90’s, and an elderly many had a heart attack in the hot tub next to us by the bar.   I think his was was in early onset dimentia.  The bartender asked if he was ok, and she replied he was resting.  He called the dr.  That was when we found out that there was a morgue on the ship.  

A sad fact of reality is that people die on cruise ships all the time. That's why they have a morgue on each ship. I don't remember for certain, but I think the one on Oasis class ships has room for three bodies.

When you consider that a significant number of cruisers are either elderly or have higher than average risk factors, it becomes a facet of cruise life... and death.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jrljel said:

Yes, that's why I am asking here.  It did sound odd and with nothing being reported to the media, I had to wonder.  I hope someone who is onboard will tell us.  Thanks!

Why would you want to know?  It happens more than you probably realize. It’s sad, and of no interest to anyone other than the friends and family of the person concerned.  Media reports possible suicides, accidents and crimes, not deaths of people on vacation.  Again, not sure why you would be interested.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Again, not sure why you would be interested.

Well, it helps people who might be considering trip insurance. Repatriation of remains can be very expensive. Plus, people on these boards may be concerned about fellow cruisers. Finally, people may need to be more aware of safety issues associated with cruising--hot tubs, alcohol, allergies, slipping on a pool deck, forgetting medicine, etc.

I am surprised you seem so offended. There is no indication this stems from prurient "ooh, let me see the body" type of interest. 

Knowing how many people die from heat and accidents at the Grand Canyon every year helps many people stay safer. Vacation has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

It's none of our damn business.

EXACTLY!!!!

6,000 people on board, death is not news, it's a statistical reality.

I head someone died at the local hospital too.  It the OP going to start asking around for dirt on that too?

Great minds discuss ideas....

Average minds discuss events....

Small minds discuss people....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Why would you want to know?  It happens more than you probably realize. It’s sad, and of no interest to anyone other than the friends and family of the person concerned.  Media reports possible suicides, accidents and crimes, not deaths of people on vacation.  Again, not sure why you would be interested.

It's just human nature to want to know. Do you ever read the obituaries in the newspaper ? I don't always, but when  I  do I look at names to see if I know the person, and then I look at the age and hints as to cause of death. If I'm going on a. cruise and I know that someone has died I might want to know if it was related to an avoidable event such as the zip line or falling down a. certain staircase or excursion related. I don't think there is reason to scold someone for asking a question Grandma.

• Like 2

You may hear if they evac, but if it is death, it will be kept quiet.

There are 823 deaths per 100,000 in the US per year.  So for a population of 6,000, you would expect about 48 per year.  Or one per week.  And cruise ship demographics tend to be more on the older side, so probably a higher rate.

So likely that there is a death on board a mega ship on every cruise.

13 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

EXACTLY!!!!

I head someone died at the local hospital too.  It the OP going to start asking around for dirt on that too?

And real people discuss everything......................

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Well, it helps people who might be considering trip insurance. Repatriation of remains can be very expensive. Plus, people on these boards may be concerned about fellow cruisers. Finally, people may need to be more aware of safety issues associated with cruising--hot tubs, alcohol, allergies, slipping on a pool deck, forgetting medicine, etc.

I am surprised you seem so offended. There is no indication this stems from prurient "ooh, let me see the body" type of interest. 

Knowing how many people die from heat and accidents at the Grand Canyon every year helps many people stay safer. Vacation has nothing to do with it.

If it happens on the ship, they just ride home in the fridge (morgue).  The fare was already paid. 

Although it might be debatable about what time you have to die by in order to not get charged the auto-gratuity for that day....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, brillohead said:

If it happens on the ship, they just ride home in the fridge (morgue).  The fare was already paid. 

Although it might be debatable about what time you have to die by in order to not get charged the auto-gratuity for that day....

What happens if their seapass account is not secured by a credit card?

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

Any one have an idea what the standard tip is for the morgue?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

Hmmmm......

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

I don't get why some get so offended by another person asking a simple question.  No names were used so how does this impact or hurt anyone?  It's normal human curiosity and I see a lot of judgment from a couple of people.  Death is a fact of life and just because someone asks about something they READ elsewhere is no cause for attack or admonishment.  Geez.

7 minutes ago, brillohead said:

it happens on the ship, they just ride home in the fridge (morgue).  The fare was already paid. 

On my FOS ship tour, they didn't include that part of the fridge!

Edited by mayleeman
deleted sentence

23 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

EXACTLY!!!!

Doesn't your post qualify as discussing people? What size of a mind is that? The old saying about the Foo and what he wears comes to mind.