Death on Oasis today?

jrljel

welp,. if I were the family of someone who died on board the last thing I would want is for there to be endless speculation on a message board about the  pertinent details.  human nature? or morbid curiosity?  as Carol says,. Tain't none of our beeswax.  

7 minutes ago, John Reid said:

Doesn't your post qualify as discussing people? What size of a mind is that? The old saying about the Foo and what he wears comes to mind.

People here seem to have a lot of difficulty distinguishing between discussing and reacting.  I didn't create a thread to speculate about someone.  I simply reacted to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

People here seem to have a lot of difficulty distinguishing between discussing and reacting.  I didn't create a thread to speculate about someone.  I simply reacted to it.

You familiar with the word "Spin"?

• Like 1

Very true.  I know I don't see the difference. 

• Like 1

Well, fortunately we as a society are able to go as slow as needed to allow the simplest among you to keep up!😂

That is a good thing!   So far today I have not needed to use high gear. 

4 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Anyone who posts here is asking for a response.  I gave mine, end of story. If someone doesn't want people to share their thoughts?  They can always choose to keep quiet.

It isn't actually up to you to decide when the story ends.😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdylady said:

I am sorry to hear this. And as far as why others may want to know more, I can't say.  But in my case, I would like to know as my best friend is on that ship right now.  It would be comforting to know that it's not her.

Erika

I hope so too!  This is why I'm often curious.  We've known friends who tragically lost a family member while on vacation - from heart attack, accident, etc and being in the know helped us provide as much support as we could when they had to come home without that person.  Otherwise, especially as I'm getting older, I like reminders of ways my usual stubborn, competitive, I can survive anything personality could be very wrong and perhaps I should think twice about certain behaviors or combinations.  

Personally I think most want details to know if it's something they should also watch out for or sheer accident/natural causes that couldn't have been prevented anywhere.  The natural instinct is to want to help, doesn't matter that usually we hinder more than help with good intentions but rarely is the intent ill thought!

The original poster didn't say she knew someone on the ship, she just wanted to know.  On a MB, only the poster knows the intent.  I interpreted it as her being nosy about something that isn't anyone business except the immediate family.  All the joking about the morgue and refrigeration is just gross and insensitive but being a nurse for 25 years clouds my judgement of what people find funny about these things because I've had to pull babies out of their fridges for parents to say goodbye.  In my opinion, it's very poor taste to joke about this and people dying.  I'll know I'll get the "lighten up Nancy" posts but that's ok, I just wanted to let others know how some people who don't speak up may feel.

• Clarea locked this topic