Planning Family Cruise

I am trying to plan the first cruise for my wife and me, adult son & girlfriend and adult daughter and friend or boyfriend (single right now).  I want to make it a Christmas present for this year, aiming to cruise over spring break in March of next year.  I know it will be crowded probably but kids are still in college.   We live in Pennsylvania so I would like to drive to NY, NJ, or Baltimore so I don't have to pay airfare.  No preference on cruise lines as we haven't cruised thus don't have a favorite.  Any PA/east coast people have suggestions, things to consider, advise, favorite ships, cons & pros, etc.    All are welcome and appreciated!  

We usually drive from Ohio to NY to cruise and have gone during spring break, June, and September.  We prefer NCL so we go from Manhattan which is nice because you sail past the Statue of Liberty. We typically stay in NJ the night before then drive into NYC the morning of the cruise. For parking we have used both the port and private lots, the port lot is more expensive but is very convenient. This year we are trying a park, stay and cruise hotel in NJ which works out cheaper. 

We live in MD and have cruised from both Baltimore and NY.  We prefer Baltimore because of its proximity but as a previous poster said, the cruise out of Manhattan is awesome (we even woke up early for the sunrise sail into NY Harbor).  We are not fussy about cruiseline but there are some differences between NCL, RCCL and Carnival.  Which is best for would take more questions.  The 7 day itineraries are similar, either Bermuda or private island, Florida and Bahamas.  

I know both Royal Caribbean and NCL cruise to Bahamas Mar 2020 from NY/NJ. I would price out all itineraries for the week you wish to go. Usually Baltimore is less expensive because the older ships with less bells and whistles sale from there. Look to get in on a promotion. Includes drink packages are important if your family plans on drinking. Also know that in top of the cruise fare, gratuities need to be added. Sometimes you’ll find deals with gratuities included. Have fun planning. 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:32 AM, Turtles06 said:

You might want to post your questions over in the Ask a Cruise Question forum, which seems suited to more general cruising questions like yours.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/69-ask-a-cruise-question/

Good luck in planning your trip!

I think they did post there first, or possibly First Time Cruisers.  I suggested they also post here since they specifically want to avoid flying and sail from an East Coast port.  I often see when someone mentions cruising from MD, NY, or NJ they are encouraged to fly to FL because of the cold, ignoring that flying isn't always an option.

I drove and left from Baltimore. The ships leaving from there have less activities than the ones leaving from NJ when it comes to the water slides, flow rider, ice skating rink, rock climbing wall,etc.  because they are older ships. There is usually just 2 pools and some hot tubs. It was enough for me being an adult, but for kids or those who want that extra type of fun activities it could get boring. The entertainment as far as the comedian shows and game shows and pool deck contests,etc. were very good and entertaining. So it made up for the other things missing as far as an adult is concerned. One thing to definitely consider when leaving from the northeast including Baltimore is definitely the time of year. I noticed you mentioned March. We left in May. It was unseasonably cold for May it was 40 degrees when we left and returned. So it was chilly on deck for the 1 1/2 day down the coast until we got to the Carolinas/Florida coast. The same on the way back. So if you leave then definitely pack sweatshirts/jackets & pants. Our ship did have a solarium (adults only pool)area that had a glass roof they could close when it was cool. So that is where most flocked on those cool days. One more thing to consider is the weather/storms seem to be a little more likely coming up the northern east coast. I’m leaving from NJ in May so it didn’t deter me, but we did hit a storm near the North Carolina/Virginia coast coming home when I left from Baltimore. The waves got bigger than what I was in when I’ve left from Florida, but it was only for one night and day. I didn’t get sick or anything (which I take Bonine to prevent sickness anyways) to be on the safe side. It is a possibility anywhere you leave from, but maybe just a little more possible leaving from further north than Florida. I’m like you though I don’t have the extra money for airfare so  driving to a closer port is the best option. I’m driving further this time to NJ because I’m taking others who I think need the activities offered on the newer ships that aren’t at Baltimore. I did enjoy the comedians and contests more on the Baltimore cruise (RC) than the Florida one (Carnival). You should definitely look into a stay & park package also at a hotel. It is cheaper than paying port parking. You get to stay in a hotel room the night before and park your car there until you return for just a little more than what you would pay just to park at the port. 

You  need to watch the forecast.  We left from Baltimore in late May and it was shorts all the way.  There no indoor days.  As the previous poster notes, that is not always the case.  We have cruised from Baltimore 4 times and the only time we had rough seas was when we went in December.