Anyone Ever Stayed In Cabins On Deck 4?

How bad is it? Booked an OceanView OK GTY Cabin and got assigned Deck 4 OF (Porthole rather than Picture Window). I called NCL to try and change it and they said that it’s an upgrade from OK! I read some reviews that said the cabins were near the gangway so wondering how it actually was?

I've had this type on the Dawn to Bermuda. Yes it was close to gangway but this worked to my advantage, never had to fight wait for elevator when returning to ship. Just straight to cabin very nice other passengers were jealous.  No noise from gangway that was bothersome. Saw nice sealife from window. Enjoy your cruise. Debbie 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Relax Cruiser said:

How bad is it? Booked an OceanView OK GTY Cabin and got assigned Deck 4 OF (Porthole rather than Picture Window). I called NCL to try and change it and they said that it’s an upgrade from OK! I read some reviews that said the cabins were near the gangway so wondering how it actually was?

We had one last year and we loved it.  The only problem we had was people thinking we were trying to cut the line to get off the ship when we were trying to go to or from our cabin to or from public areas

candi

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Relax Cruiser said:

Read my review on CC about our Dawn sailing Feb 7-17 for an answer. Let's just say, the deck 4 cabins are not bad at all. I too was hesitant when we booked our cruise. You will be just fine. 

• Like 1

Depends on the location. I had a 4th floor cabin on Dawn once that was SOOOOOOO loud. We were woken up about every 2 hours every single night due to the heavy machinery operating right below our cabin. It was my tipping point when I decided I would never again risk a guarantee cabin, and would never book a cabin without knowing what was above and below it.

OP,  what ship and have you referenced specific deck plan & location on yours ?   Tender port stops on your sailing/itinerary ?  as those can get more foot traffic in the hallways & corridors.  Only a handful of OV port hole cabins should be right next to the Fwd & Mid gangway locations - generalizations aren't necessary helpful.  

On some of the "older" NCL ships, i.e. Dawn, Jewel, Star - these OF are usually FWD of the gangway(s) but they might be near the anchors (chains) used on a tender stops, when it is lowered & raised ... noisy only if you are still asleep & not awake, going to breakfast (out for dinner ?) and getting ready to go ashore.  

We had an OF with porthole, port side, deck 4 on the Gem a few years ago and it was mostly quiet, 2 cabins from an area where security keep their x-ray luggage screening equipments & other portable/movable items whenever ship is coming into ports, but really didn't pose any noise problems for us ... and we're steps away from the communication officer's inside cabin - and crew access/interior passage/storage doors - no problems with things being slammed.  We had OV cabins on deck 5 that're below the gallery and those were noiser at times when furniture & carts were being moved, etc.

If you booked an OX or OK (Obstructed OV, typically deck 8 ) - yes, OF is an upgrade when sailing NCL, and getting an OF is possible.  

If you are still not sailing in the immediate future, you might wish to consider, sometimes at a nominal but extra costs, to bid for a balcony upgrade - for non-peak/non-holiday sailings, could be a smart move to bet, for a "better" GTY assignment. 

5 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Read my review on CC about our Dawn sailing Feb 7-17 for an answer. Let's just say, the deck 4 cabins are not bad at all. I too was hesitant when we booked our cruise. You will be just fine. 

I tried searching but couldn’t find it. Do you have a link that you can post back to? Thank you 

20 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

OP,  what ship and have you referenced specific deck plan & location on yours ?   Tender port stops on your sailing/itinerary ?  as those can get more foot traffic in the hallways & corridors.  Only a handful of OV port hole cabins should be right next to the Fwd & Mid gangway locations - generalizations aren't necessary helpful.  

On some of the "older" NCL ships, i.e. Dawn, Jewel, Star - these OF are usually FWD of the gangway(s) but they might be near the anchors (chains) used on a tender stops, when it is lowered & raised ... noisy only if you are still asleep & not awake, going to breakfast (out for dinner ?) and getting ready to go ashore.  

We had an OF with porthole, port side, deck 4 on the Gem a few years ago and it was mostly quiet, 2 cabins from an area where security keep their x-ray luggage screening equipments & other portable/movable items whenever ship is coming into ports, but really didn't pose any noise problems for us ... and we're steps away from the communication officer's inside cabin - and crew access/interior passage/storage doors - no problems with things being slammed.  We had OV cabins on deck 5 that're below the gallery and those were noiser at times when furniture & carts were being moved, etc.

If you booked an OX or OK (Obstructed OV, typically deck 8 ) - yes, OF is an upgrade when sailing NCL, and getting an OF is possible.  

If you are still not sailing in the immediate future, you might wish to consider, sometimes at a nominal but extra costs, to bid for a balcony upgrade - for non-peak/non-holiday sailings, could be a smart move to bet, for a "better" GTY assignment. 

So since we are traveling with my parents we have rooms 4568 and 4570. And sailing on NCL Jade to the Greek Isles. It is Port Intensive for an 11 day Cruise we only have 1 sea day on the 2nd day and then that’s it. Any idea on these rooms? From my understanding I think Santorini is tendering but apart from that I have no idea. Hope this gives you some idea

46 minutes ago, ADBark said:

This caught my attention. Can you tell us what you saw? 

A group of dolphin or porpoises, not sure, but a large group that followed along the ship for several minutes. An announcement was made in the public areas as well, but being so close to water level on deck 4 I thought my view was better. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Relax Cruiser said:

So since we are traveling with my parents we have rooms 4568 and 4570. And sailing on NCL Jade to the Greek Isles ... Any idea on these rooms? ... 

Not familiar with the Jade, but in general - NCL usually do their tendering starboard side and you are basically in a fair to good mid-ship location.  The "white" space between 4568 and 4564, if it's like the Gem is for equipment storage, i.e. x-ray for the gangways ... and I believed it was used as gangway for crews only when docked & for provisioning (usually on turnaround days) 

And you have OV staterooms directly above yours, no gallery noises to worry about. 

The busy gangway would be much further back, opposite/near the Medical Center if you reference the deck plan - for folks going ashore.  

I would consider these a fine "upgrade" and ideal for port-intensive sailings, super easy to walk down that corridor, swipe the keycards & step off the gangway to go ashore - and, on the return, no waiting for the elevators.  Enjoy !

39 minutes ago, Deb and Jack said:

A group of dolphin or porpoises, not sure, but a large group that followed along the ship for several minutes. An announcement was made in the public areas as well, but being so close to water level on deck 4 I thought my view was better. 

Looking forward to seeing some sea life then. Sounds promising!! Better keep my eyes 👀 open then 😀

4 minutes ago, Relax Cruiser said:

Looking forward to seeing some sea life then. Sounds promising!! Better keep my eyes 👀 open then 😀

It was in May. In case it was seasonal. Wishing you luck, I was pleasantly surprised. 

4 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Not familiar with the Jade, but in general - NCL usually do their tendering starboard side and you are basically in a fair to good mid-ship location.  The "white" space between 4568 and 4564, if it's like the Gem is for equipment storage, i.e. x-ray for the gangways ... and I believed it was used as gangway for crews only when docked & for provisioning (usually on turnaround days) 

And you have OV staterooms directly above yours, no gallery noises to worry about. 

The busy gangway would be much further back, opposite/near the Medical Center if you reference the deck plan - for folks going ashore.  

I would consider these a fine "upgrade" and ideal for port-intensive sailings, super easy to walk down that corridor, swipe the keycards & step off the gangway to go ashore - and, on the return, no waiting for the elevators.  Enjoy !

Thank you, that actually makes me feel better!! I think reading a “review” when I googled stateroom number made me kind of nervous but all the replies on here tell otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Deb and Jack said:

It was in May. In case it was seasonal. Wishing you luck, I was pleasantly surprised. 

Sailing May 12 too as well so a little more than 70 days to go eek! Which part were you in? We’ll be on the Greek coastline so hoping there’ll be something there to see

3 minutes ago, Relax Cruiser said:

Sailing May 12 too as well so a little more than 70 days to go eek! Which part were you in? We’ll be on the Greek coastline so hoping there’ll be something there to see

Atlantic between Boston and Bermuda  🙂

When getting off the Jade at port stops on a Caribbean cruise I saw people on that deck come out of their cabins and just get in line. It looked so easy. Plus the cabin stewards seemed especially jolly and happy. Maybe they like working that deck

on port days because of the fresh air? In any event it looked fine to me.

I have been on deck 4 before and like it.  It is quiet when sailing.  Also, because you are lower and closer to the water, you will have less motion if the ship starts rocking.  I traveled with a person who could not climb stairs.   It was perfect.  Each time we boarded the elevator from deck 4 there was an empty elevator.  No worries.  Think of the money you saved with the GTY.  Enjoy.