Port Comparisons for St. Thomas, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Curacao

We will embarking on a 10-day cruise in the Southern Caribbean, and could use some help from experienced travelers to this region. We will be going to St. Thomas, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire and Curacao.   Which of these ports lend themselves to walking tours?  Which are best for snorkeling?  We are part of a group of four pretty spry seniors; are there excursions you would recommend?  Ports you would recommend staying on the boat?  Any wisdom you would share would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

ponstad 

I have been to a few of these ports and can share what my impressions are. St. Thomas, depending on which pier the ship comes into, can be walkable, but my recollection is that it's primarily shopping. St. Thomas is well known for jewelry buying. There would also be suitable options for snorkeling either from St. Thomas itself or the popular excursions to St. John, and St. Thomas does have nice beaches.

St. George, Grenada, has a number of historic sights that can be seen via a walking tour, though there are some pretty steep hills. I found a couple of suggested routes by doing an internet search for "Grenada walking tour."

Curacao is a lovely city for a walking tour and can be done quite easily from the ship, especially if you are alongside in the canal, although the walk from the pier ordinarily used by larger cruise ships through the old fort, now a shopping mall, is very nice. Willemstad is like a bit of old Holland plunked down in the Caribbean. Do an internet search for walking tours for suggested routes and sights. You will also find good food and drink as well as some European-style shopping (linens, crystal, foods, etc.).

Bonaire is amazing for snorkeling. The best-known excursion is Woodwind, but book early. They take a smaller group and it can sell out quickly. Woodwind's owners and crew provide a great experience that is very easy for novice snorkelers, but intermediate and experienced snorkelers are accommodated as well. After two stops for drift snorkeling, an open bar and delicious hot lunch are provided on the way back.

Just back from a cruise that included Bonaire and Curacao. I will second the Woodwind tour in Bonaire for a great snorkel experience!   In Curacao we took a beach hopping tour with Irie tours and it was great as well.  We stopped at a few different beaches and you had the option to snorkel, swim or just relax.  We snorkelled at every opportunity, even snorkelled turtles at one of the spots which was amazing!  The tour was about 6hrs and we still had lots of time to pop back to the ship, refresh and head out to walk around town.  Can’t offer an opinion on your other ports based on my own experience, but did speak with some fellow cruisers who recommeneded St John (from St Thomas) as their favourite snorkel place since we were talking snorkelling.

Thanks to CntPAcruiser and trophy_23 for their excellent suggestions - we have booked with the Woodwind tour and will investigate Irie.  We are also considering Bumpiing Tours in Dominca - would love any feedback CC-ers might provide.