Passports

Nothing has changed recently...of even for quite a while. There are many threads around, giving many solid reasons for having a passport. However,  for a cruise that starts and ends in the same US port, you don't need a passport if you are a US citizen. You do need official government issued picture ID (not for kids) and an official government recognized birth certificate- not a copy. Typically these have a raised seal on them, but may have other authenticating stamps or info on them.

So, you need your driver's license and an official birth certificate for people over 16.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Nothing has changed recently...of even for quite a while. There are many threads around, giving many solid reasons for having a passport. However,  for a cruise that starts and ends in the same US port, you don't need a passport if you are a US citizen. You do need official government issued picture ID (not for kids) and an official government recognized birth certificate- not a copy. Typically these have a raised seal on them, but may have other authenticating stamps or info on them.

So, you need your driver's license and an official birth certificate for people over 16.

CruiserBruce had provided accurate information - a valid Government issued picture ID + a birth certificate (or a Passport) for your itinerary is all you are required to have.

It looks like you are cruising with Carnival. I just want to add that in general you should also confirm this with your travel agent or cruise line as there are one or two that may, by way of their own policy, require a Passport.  Carnival is not one of them.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

While it is best to bring the original birth certificate the regulations do say that you may use an original or copy. The reason a copy is allowed is because CBP vets all passengers through a multitude of government databases during the cruise. I presented a copy to board the Pride in 2012 and I've read numerous accounts of passengers having their cruise saved by the timely faxing of a copy of their birth certificate to the port.

OP, as long as you aren't sailing with a cruise line that requires passports of all passengers (usually the more upscale lines) you may as a US citizen use a government issued birth certificate and government issued photo ID. 

Just to fill in some details others have missed, official birth certificates and drivers licenses (or other official government-issued ID such as  non-driver ID cards issued by many state motor vehicle departments) are fine for this itinerary as long as the cruise line itself doesn't impose a passport requirement.

As already mentioned,  cruise lines serving the higher end and luxury markets commonly require every passenger to have a passport with 6 months remaining validity even if government regulations allow use of a birth certificate and drivers license.

Also even some mass market lines require passports for special circumstances, in particular a solo adult traveling with a minor child or children...a typical example is a single grandparent taking a grandchild on a cruise.

The bottom line is that you have to check your cruise line's requirements, which should be delineated on their website, for their specific rules that might go beyond government rules.

Edited by njhorseman

If you live in one of the states that issues Enhanced Driver's Licenses, you can also just use that.

That is what I use, and I've never been asked for anything else. It's good for Mexico, Canada, and closed loop cruises to certain areas.

You cannot fly internationally with it though.

State Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

The State Enhanced Driver's License cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.
Several states are working with the Department of Homeland Security to develop an EDL for U.S. citizens residing in their states. This document will denote both citizenship and identity and will facilitate the entry process at land and sea ports of entry. The words ‘Enhanced Driver's License’ as well as the American flag will appear on the license. The following states issue this type of WHTI-compliant document: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington.

A Driver's license with a gold circle with star cutout in the right upper corner is a Real ID driver's license; it is not an Enhanced Driver's license and cannot be used as proof of citizenship but can be used as picture identification.

Edited by jessencaitly

BTW, most every post in this thread is wrong. 😄

You need a photo ID and PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP, if a US citizen.  If you were born in the US, that would be your birth certificate.

If you were born overseas to American parents, it would be your Consular Report of Birth Abroad (a birth certificate from a foreign country would not work).

If you are a naturalized citizen, you would need your Certificate of Naturalization.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

BTW, most every post in this thread is wrong. 😄

You need a photo ID and PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP, if a US citizen.  If you were born in the US, that would be your birth certificate.

If you were born overseas to American parents, it would be your Consular Report of Birth Abroad (a birth certificate from a foreign country would not work).

If you are a naturalized citizen, you would need your Certificate of Naturalization.

That is a better way of putting it.

I personally wouldn't leave the country without a passport, even if a Drivers licence is all that is required. I suppose if there was no time to organise one, I may consider it briefly but likely decide not to do the cruise. Each to there own.

On 3/1/2019 at 1:39 PM, jessencaitly said:

Enhanced Driver's Licenses,

I have one of those, it's handy for flying domestically for sure but with the Real ID standards coming through the benefits are "watered down" so to speak.  I wish the EDL would work for flying to/from Canada as well.  I still have taken my passport on closed-loop cruises from US ports though, just an extra measure of security for me...

• Like 1

On March 1, 2019 at 9:16 AM, Familyforever said:

Hello,

Can someone please tell me the guideline of a passport as of today.

Is it a must to have one?

Leaving from NY going to Grand Turks, Half Moon Cay, Free port returning to NY.

Thank you.

I always make sure to have my passport as well as my drivers license.

Enjoy your cruise . Hopefully Long Island will not have the expected snow tomorrow and later this week.