Bringing Wine On Board in Galveston

LuckyStar

Its our annual Sister cruise in April and we have decided to bring on some wine for the first time.  Texas is strict about alcohol taxes, etc, so are they strict about boarding with wine.  We are bringing only what we are allowed to bring, nothing subversive, so I'm not looking to rook the system.  Thanks!

44 minutes ago, LuckyStar said:

Its our annual Sister cruise in April and we have decided to bring on some wine for the first time.  Texas is strict about alcohol taxes, etc, so are they strict about boarding with wine.  We are bringing only what we are allowed to bring, nothing subversive, so I'm not looking to rook the system.  Thanks!

You'll have no problem bringing wine on board for embarkation out of Galveston.

18 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

Have never been stopped for them to check our 2 bottles when boarding in Galveston.

Texas or Galveston have  no law or say over wine being brought on board . It is a Royal Caribbean policy of the two bottles of wine for you . Bring them both on with no problem. 

Edited by ssb

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 11:33 AM, fdthird said:

It's on the way back that the authorities try to get you to pay tax on any liquor you are bringing back into Texas.  

This may not be specific to issues , but if you buy wine in Texas and bring onto ship , and then do not drink it,

then bring it back off ship into Texas , you have paid tax in Texas on the wine already!  

1 hour ago, ssb said:

This may not be specific to issues , but if you buy wine in Texas and bring onto ship , and then do not drink it,

then bring it back off ship into Texas , you have paid tax in Texas on the wine already!  

I’m having trouble inderstanding your line, “and then don’t drink it”.   Not an issue we’ve ever had.  LOL. 

But, in your case, I’m assuming it has some kind of a Texas Tax Stamp on it if you buy it in Texas. 

Edited by fdthird
  • Haha 1

Yes, its unusual not drink a bottle of wine, but it happens . We have stopped bringing wine onboard , for we have found,  we are taking wine off ship, that we have brought on ship! And so in that situation , we just pass on by the State of tax enforcement folks. We have never seen or been aware of random selection of passengers being checked coming off ship. We live in Galveston, so we have paid taxes on wine bought in Texas.     

Edited by ssb

On 3/14/2019 at 4:09 PM, Galveston Cruiser said:

Just walk on by!

Port agent stopped me the first time I ‘walked on by’ because I was unaware of the tax requirement.

That was several years ago, and I guess I was obviously carrying a liquor box for them to spot me.

Ignorance of the law is embarrassing when you get caught.

On 3/14/2019 at 4:37 PM, ssb said:

Lost me at the part where you don’t drink it....

30 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Lost me at the part where you don’t drink it....

Already answered that two posts above . But With normal and special gifts of bottles and status we do not drink everything available to us . Also I drink very little anymore. You should have been with us on these cruises  for we give away bottles at times . 

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, rmf11699 said:

on a slightly different topic, we're taking RCI Liberty in a week. Any issues taking a case of water or a case of soda on board?

12 pack  of water or soda is allowed 

• 2 years later...

Each adult (21 or over) is permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of unopened wine on board. They may/may not charge you a corkage fee if you consume the wine at your table in the MDR.

We carry ours in our carry on luggage in a clear plastic bag—never had a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

We only had to pay the alcohol tax coming back into Texas when we purchased liquor on the trip, ie Mexico. When the cruise line staff held onto it from our other ports of call. That is how you get it back. They do not leave it to you the night prior or morning of like on other trips.