Internet access

Wendyaa

We are shortly doing a 15 day Celebrity cruise and I am keen to stay in touch with people back home. My elderly father isn't too well and we have house sitters. Previous experience of buying short term time has been poor as most of the allotted time has been spent just trying to log on, with poor ship connections and speeds. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and spend over £200 which will cover us for the trip. This sum, however, is only for one device. Ideally I’d like my iPad but think it would need to be my phone to better access my parents. My query is this - are you able to tether another device onboard does anyone know? I’d like to have my device as the phone, but, on occasions use it to tether my iPad to, so I can use this for other things.  Anyone know whether this is possible? I’m not paying £415 for the privilege!! Many thanks...

You can use multiple devices on one account but only one at a time.  You can log out your phone and connect with your iPad.  Someone traveling with you could also log in using one of their devices but you could not both be logged in to the same account at the same time.

The single device internet package is for ONE device at a time. You can log off of one and log onto another. If you log on and another device is logged on you will be given the opportunity to automatically log of the initial device...  You just can not be logged in on two devices at one time.

Dennis

No need to tether and tether only works on an iPhone for cellular data not wifi.

You can swap between unlimited devices but can only be logged onto one device simultaneously.  All you have to do is log off your phone and log on using your iPad.    You can also log onto your iPad and it will prompt you if you wish to log off the other device.

Thankyou all, very useful. Celebrity told me it was just for one device, not one device at a time!  That is going to be very helpful.  Has anyone used Cinstellations WiFi recently? Any good?  We have had very poor internet connection on other ships.

48 minutes ago, Wendyaa said:

Thankyou all, very useful. Celebrity told me it was just for one device, not one device at a time!  That is going to be very helpful.  Has anyone used Cinstellations WiFi recently? Any good?  We have had very poor internet connection on other ships.

I would say that it is slow but usable.  Speed also depends on location on the ship and your proximity to the router.   The closer the higher speed you will experience.   If you think of old dial up you won't be disappointed.

If you are a cc member make sure you call and have them apply your cc discount.

Edited by Jim_Iain

So when you chose "free wifi" as one off your perks, does that include two accounts for the cabin?  I assume it does as when you choose "free gratuities" it covers for each person.

22 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Which discount is this?

Captain's Club Internet Perk -  To get pre cruise you need to call in.   On board it is automatically applied when you crate your account.   If a member of RCL you can have celebrity match you status up to Elite.

Classic     10% Discount

Select       25% Discount

Elite          30% or 90 Minutes Free

Elite+        35% of 240 Minutes

Edited by Jim_Iain

Thanks--seems like there are many hidden discounts. Since asking you about this, I have discovered that Celebrity supposedly offers a military discount not just to active duty and retirees (as set out in the "see if you qualify for offers" fine print) but also for anyone with an Honorable Discharge.

Confirmed in a chat a few minutes ago. I would probably want it in writing, though, because they ask for a military ID at the pier, which non-disabled, non-retirees who only have a DD-214 do not have.

I will contact them for the internet discount!

4 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Thanks--seems like there are many hidden discounts. Since asking you about this, I have discovered that Celebrity supposedly offers a military discount not just to active duty and retirees (as set out in the "see if you qualify for offers" fine print) but also for anyone with an Honorable Discharge.

Confirmed in a chat a few minutes ago. I would probably want it in writing, though, because they ask for a military ID at the pier, which non-disabled, non-retirees who only have a DD-214 do not have.

I will contact them for the internet discount!

My understanding a DD-214 is all you need.   Actually I have heard that it is rarely asked for at all.   Kinda like the State Discount -  They say you need proof of residency but is never asked for.

• 2 weeks later...

I found some information about the non-streaming internet package on Celebrity's website. It is not listed under my Cruise Planner though, so I cannot book it. I may to call them to find out.

Surf Internet Package

Our new value-priced Surf Internet Package is for anyone who simply wants the ability to text, check email, surf the web, and keep in touch with family and friends while on vacation. This package does not include VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology such as FaceTime, Skype, or the ability to stream videos though Nexflix and YouTube. You can connect up to four devices, all at once, on one Surf Internet Package. Available throughout the fleet, except on Galapagos sailings.

Book your internet package online pre-cruise and save up to 10% on the price.

We were just on Edge and purchased 1 device deal for $99. I am sure it is more for 2weeks.   I his was not the ultra high speed deal you can stream with but it was very fast for Surfing, email and texts etc.   it was 1 device but you can log off and use it on another device. We shared it between both cell phones and a I pad.  

• Like 1

Has anyone gotten the 1-device package then trying to connect to another device using the iPhone hotspot, thus having 2 devices on line at the same time with a 1-device package?   Of course, you would have to be in the same proximity.   Would the iPhone hotspot work on your laptop so you wouldn't have to toggle back & forth on devices with just a 1-device package?

Does anyone know packages available on Millenium which just went thru an extensive renovation to S-classed it in January?

$99 for a 2 weeks duration unlimited wifi access sounds very reasonable pricing.

We will be on the 14 days TYO-YVR crossing and our status is Select.

5 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Has anyone gotten the 1-device package then trying to connect to another device using the iPhone hotspot, thus having 2 devices on line at the same time with a 1-device package?   Of course, you would have to be in the same proximity.   Would the iPhone hotspot work on your laptop so you wouldn't have to toggle back & forth on devices with just a 1-device package?

My experience is that the Iphone hotspot only works using cellular data.   You can try it easily by turning off Cellular  Data and then go to Hotspot and will see it is grayed out. 

16 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Assuming you are talking about the feature found in settings:cellular:setup personal hot spot, the answer is NO. That is using cellular data, not wifi. It is possible to use cellular data on the ship just expensive unless you purchase a cruise ship plan, but i think the conversation here revolves around the wifi on the ship.

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

My experience is that the Iphone hotspot only works using cellular data.   You can try it easily by turning off Cellular  Data and then go to Hotspot and will see it is grayed out. 

Yes, Hotspot is off when Cellular Data is off.  I just turned it off on a second device and Hotspot disappeared on my iPad.