Le Harve Car Rental

sgmn

Does anyone have any info on renting a car for the day in Le Harve?

we are in port from 7am to 9pm. on a Saturday in May.

Which companies are actually within walking distance of the ship?

Some of the companies I have tried to research seem to close early on Saturday - is there provision to just drop the car even if they are closed?

Unfortunately we do not speak French and they sites I have looked at only seem to be in French - is it easy to book on line if you don't speak or read French - worried we may book the wrong thing! we would want to have quite a bit of kilometers included in the price as will be doing a lot of driving.

Thanks for your help/replies

Sue

If you search this blog you will find some older posts I have done on just this subject. But assuming there are no recent changes here is the situation. There is only one rental car company located within the port (they have a desk in the small terminal building) and its called Rent-A-Car. Their web site is rentacar.fr. If you go down to the bottom right hand of their page there is a place where you can change the language from "fr" to "en." This agency is certainly the most convenient, but not always the best for prices.

Otherwise you have to leave the port to rent a car. Sixt Rent a Car has a location on the Quai Southampton...which is about a 25-30 min walk from the port. Europcar used to have a location in that same area but I believe they had closed that office. I am not sure if there are any other agencies as close as Sixt/ There are plenty of other agencies in town (several are near the train station) but you would likely need a taxi...and the local taxis do not like to take such short haul fares.

As to returning after hours, the norm throughout Europe is that you can return, lock the car, and drop the keys in a drop box or slot. Its best to directly call the rental car company (preferably that local office) or send them an e-mail to verify after hours drop. My only suggestion is that when you return a car after hours, photograph the car from all angles in case you later need proof that there was no exterior damage. In forty years of renting cars we have never had a problem....but its always wise to take some extra precautions.

I will give you a VERY IMPORTANT tip about renting in Europe. Many rental cars have manual transmissions (stick shift). If you must have an automatic make sure you book far in advance and make it clear you must have an automatic. Keep in mind that many rental car dealers charge a lot more money for automatics (sometimes nearly double) and some agencies do not even have automatics (especially in smaller cars). Europeans still love to drive a stick (so do I) and its reflected in the rental car availability. In the past decade we have seen more and more automatics, but its still not the norm.

Hank

Just to add to Hank's excellent post ...................

There is usually a translation facility on car rental websites (check the top right on most, often in the form of a Union Jack), or via google (check for it on the toolbar.). Sometimes the auto-translations are comical, but normally usable.

- or, if you're stuck use one of the major car rental factors, or big operators like Hertz or Avis. I can't quote you examples cos on my computer they come up with UK websites but on your computer & mine they'll be in English. They are also often cheaper than direct bookings.

The only negative - and this also applies to direct bookings - is that sometimes its impossible to get figures for add-ons such as GPS that are payable locally.

English is the world's second-language & you should have no face-to-face language difficulties either at the rental agency or throughout your road-trip.

Usually for regular cars it's unlimited mileage, but the policy will be in the website terms.

Also its usual for the fuel policy for a one-day hire to be collect full/return full, or return with the same fuel level as at the start. I avoid those which are collect full/return empty because they screw you for the fuel that they provide & you're not going to be able to return it empty.

Watch out too for insurance terms. Most come with CDW insurance but with a high excess - €1.000 or more - and for getting the excess down to nil or a sensibly-low figure the premium is often close to as much as the rental fee.

I always look into the add-ons & caveats cos they're more important than a few euros difference in the headline rental.

But if you've rented at home you'll know about those things, & its no different in France.

The days of a three-hour lunch-break in France are now history in all but the sleepiest villages, but the French do enjoy their evenings & weekends. For car rentals there's usually after-hours return instructions to park & use a drop-box for the key.

BTW it's Le Havre, not Le Harve. Common mistake but correct spelling is sometimes essential on the web.

JB :)

Thanks for your comprehensive replies , and for the tip the change of language can be at bottom of home page . Actually happier with manual as from UK so that's not a,problem and DH has driven quite a bit in Europe. When we lived in Sussex we use to go on day trips to France so know that coast quite well.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit late to this thread, but I can recommend Rent a Car in Le Havre. They have a pickup and drop off point right in the cruise terminal, including facilities for out of hours drop off. We found them to be quite competitively priced as well.

I can’t comment on the translation point, as my wife speaks fluent French, so I left her to do the language bit!

• 2 months later...

The two times we have used the car renal agency at the port, they were late in opening. So don't expect to be on your way right after the posted opening time.

Also, both times they claimed that there was a problem with the internet link and they could not accept credit cards. So be prepared to pay in cash.

The two times we have used the car renal agency at the port, they were late in opening. So don't expect to be on your way right after the posted opening time.

Also, both times they claimed that there was a problem with the internet link and they could not accept credit cards. So be prepared to pay in cash.

We have had our own issues with rentacar.fr but know others who were happy with the company. In our case we also ran into the "no credit cards today" scam. We call it a scam because we suspect that they were refusing credit cards to force folks to pay for their expensive daily insurance. Many of us have credit cards that cover much of the rental car insurance. In our case we simply laughed, walked out of the port, and rented elsewhere. But a most cruisers do not want to walk over a mile to a rental car agency (many cruisers won't even walk down one flight of steps)...so rentacar.fr is a good option for them.

Hank

We have had our own issues with rentacar.fr but know others who were happy with the company. In our case we also ran into the "no credit cards today" scam. We call it a scam because we suspect that they were refusing credit cards to force folks to pay for their expensive daily insurance. Many of us have credit cards that cover much of the rental car insurance. In our case we simply laughed, walked out of the port, and rented elsewhere. But a most cruisers do not want to walk over a mile to a rental car agency (many cruisers won't even walk down one flight of steps)...so rentacar.fr is a good option for them.

Hank

I'm surprised by the comments about Rentacar.Fr. We've used them a couple of times from Le Havre and found it a good service, and no problems at all with credit card payment. I guess we were lucky!

I'm surprised by the comments about Rentacar.Fr. We've used them a couple of times from Le Havre and found it a good service, and no problems at all with credit card payment. I guess we were lucky!

We used Rentacar last June... they were definitely more expensive than the agencies in town but my mom was with us and we decided the little extra was okay in the grand scheme of things. Good service and no issues about paying by CC, though DH got a ticket for driving 7kms/hr over speed limit in Rouen, but that's another story, lol :D

We used Rentacar last June... they were definitely more expensive than the agencies in town but my mom was with us and we decided the little extra was okay in the grand scheme of things. Good service and no issues about paying by CC, though DH got a ticket for driving 7kms/hr over speed limit in Rouen, but that's another story, lol :D

A on-the-spot speeding ticket? That would be unusual in Europe, especially for only 7kmh. For us the much bigger issue are the proliferation of speed cameras and annoying ZTLs (in Italy). Speed Cameras are a big revenue-maker in Europe. Many weeks or months after your return home you will notice an extra charge of move than 100€ added to your credit card. Not only does the rental car company pass along the traffic fines, but they generally add their own "administrative fee" for each violation.

Hank

Hank

We were not asked to buy extra insurance because we paid cash. If we had been, I would have told them that my travel insurance covers rental cars. Our regular automobile insurance also covers us in some countries outside the US. All travelers need to be aware of their existing insurance coverage and supplement that as they deem prudent.

A on-the-spot speeding ticket? That would be unusual in Europe, especially for only 7kmh. For us the much bigger issue are the proliferation of speed cameras and annoying ZTLs (in Italy). Speed Cameras are a big revenue-maker in Europe. Many weeks or months after your return home you will notice an extra charge of move than 100€ added to your credit card. Not only does the rental car company pass along the traffic fines, but they generally add their own "administrative fee" for each violation.

Hank

No Hank, not an on the spot ticket, neither was our CC debited. Rentacar mailed us the ticket, which we received in October for a trip made early June! I can't remember how much it was about 50-60 euros or so...there was a penalty for late payment which was waived after we told them when we received the ticket. This has never happened to us in over two decades of travel but I guess there's always a first!

• 3 weeks later...

I hired a car from Sixt on Quai Southampton. I found them online and all was perfectly straightforward. I wanted to drive firstly up to Dieppe where I stayed on a French exchange when I was 14 - we took a couple of Canadian passengers with us so we visited the Canadian graveyard in Dieppe from ww2. We then drove in the opposite direction and across the high level bridge over the Seine estuary to visit Honfleur. We had an excellent day and dropped the car back at Sixt's office. WE could see the Eclipse from there we were but I didn't fancy the walk (was a fair way round by the roads and I have osteoarthritis) So we called at a local cafe and the locals helped us ring a taxi firm to take us back to the ship.

No problems at all with the hire, the car or admin.cost etc. However I do speak French so I have an advantage there and have driven abroad for years so that holds no worries for me either.

• 8 months later...

Has anyone rent car at Le Harve port recently?   What was your experience driving around, is it easy to navigate place to place and sign, we don't speak or read French, would this be a problem driving around?  Would like to drive to Honfleur and around is it easy to do?   Your feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Liana.

Reading/speaking French is not a problem; being unfamiliar with European road sign symbols can be, but it's easy to learn those before you go. AAA can probably give you a guide; if you don't belong, just Google for the symbols. Also, there are a number of posts on this board about renting cars in Le Havre.

Edited by Langoustine

Pretty-well everyone in business in Normandy speaks English - rental agencies, gas stations, cops, shop / cafe / bar / restaurant staff, tollbridge staff, etc. And probably 4 out of 5 folk that you might approach in the street - make that 5 out of 5 in Honfleur.. 

Honfleur is easy to find, you could probably get by with a simple map. Follow green "Toutes directions" signs out of the town centre, then "A29 Caen, Pont De Normandie" which takes you high over the mouth of the Seine. It's a toll bridge, about 4  or 5 Euros, cash or card. Once over the bridge Le Mans and Honfleur is the first exit signed off to your right, then very shortly take the first exit at the roundabout (traffic island) signed Honfleur  and you're  there.

Parking is over-subscribed, probably best to drive into the centre as far as the little roundabout by the tourist office, then circle outwards til you find a spot.

As I said, you could do it with just a paper map but don't cheapskate on the one-day rental of a GPS or the use of a tablet -  you might struggle to find your way back to the agency, or your planned route is thwarted by roadworks. And if Honfleur bores you after a couple of hours, you can strike further west along the coast road to the conjoined little towns of Trouville (fishing) and Deauville (resort).

Do check on the rules of the road in France, there are some differences.

For instance no turnout on red - red means stop unless there's a green filter for your lane.

No four-way stops. At junctions on most roads and city streets priority is signed, only on unsigned tiny country lanes & some quiet villages do you have to give priority to traffic coming from the right.

Bear in mind that unless you specify "automatic", cars usually come with a shift-stick.

Rent one that's as small as you'll fit in. The distances are short and a smaller car is so much easier to park.

Check the opening times of the agencies, and which ones have an after-hours drop-off.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

We rented a car this summer from the Enterprise in Le Havre. Make sure to book in advance because if you don't, there may not be any cars available! The lady at the counter did not speak very much English. Google Translate and hand gestures helped greatly when trying to ask questions about the car, but she knew enough to try and answer our questions as best she could. 

Many people in Honfleur (and in France in general) will speak at least some English, particularly in restaurants or shops. Many others will not, will have very poor English, or simply prefer to converse in French. Downloading Google Translate ahead of time just in case is always a good idea. Le Havre to Honfleur is mostly big roads/highway until you get into Honfleur.

Driving to Honfleur is pretty straightforward. Keep some cash for the various toll roads and bridges you will pass (including the Pont de Normandie). What we found most difficult was trying to count which exit to leave on from the roundabout. French roundabouts can sometimes have 4+ exits, and when the GPS is telling you to turn right from the 3rd exit, that can be quite confusing. We actually ended up crossing the Pont de Normandie twice before heading to Honfleur, that's how lost we got. If you have a passenger to help or are familiar with navigating many exits in a roundabout, that will be very helpful!

18 hours ago, simplyrubies said:

. What we found most difficult was trying to count which exit to leave on from the roundabout. French roundabouts can sometimes have 4+ exits, and when the GPS is telling you to turn right from the 3rd exit, that can be quite confusing. We actually ended up crossing the Pont de Normandie twice before heading to Honfleur, that's how lost we got. If you have a passenger to help or are familiar with navigating many exits in a roundabout, that will be very helpful!

Slow GPS & complicated roundabouts (traffic islands) or gyratories can be a problematic mix. But twice over the Pont De Normandie is nowhere near as frustrating as 3 times round Houston or accidentally crossing Sydney Harbour Bridge with no ticket :classic_ohmy::classic_biggrin:

1. Road signs can be easier to follow than GPS, so pre-plan with googlemaps or a paper map including noting down the road numbers and the names of towns on your route, including major towns beyond your destination (road signs don't use the points of the compass as they do in the USA,) So for instance initially you'll be following signs for "A29 / E44 Caen", not "A29 West".

2. Major thru roads in Europe have two designations, the national road number (in this case A29 in red) and the European number (in this case E44 and always in green). Keep life simple, ignore the green numbers.

3. Pont De Normandie is exceptionally well-signed. Until you've crossed it, look for that sign rather than Honfleur.

4. If your starting point is the cruise terminal, your GPS might send you on an industrial road out of Le Havre rather than the main road, because it's a little shorter. It's also quicker and quieter, though not so well-signed. Either route will do the job, if you take that industrial route put your trust in the GPS

5. On a simple roundabout rather than an off-ramp, if in doubt do a complete circuit (or two) of the roundabout to allow you to figure the correct exit (but do be careful to keep in the correct lane and not baulk other vehicles). Twice round a roundabout is better than twice over the Pont de Normandie. :classic_wink:

All that said, it's a journey time of no more than 30 minutes and none-too-difficult.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years there are no road tolls anywhere west of Le Havre.

The only toll is for the Pont de Normandie and it has tollbooths which accept euros or plastic

JB :classic_smile: 

Edited by John Bull

• 2 months later...

I concur getting around is easy enough.  However, be advised that the rental cars have a sticker indicating that they are in fact rentals.  Do not, I repeat do not leave anything in your car or in the trunk (boot).  Thieves prey on rental cars and will break in.  I learned the hard way at a museum in Normandy. When I went to the police station to report it, I was told that  ”eet happens all zee time. Zee gypsies watch zee cars and tarjet zee rental cars”.  

The OP needs to be aware that many rental cars will have manual/stick transmission.  If you cannot drive a stick make sure to reserve an automatic (which will cost you more money) and pray that they honor your request.  As to rentals in Le Havre, there is only one agency with an office (and cars) at the port and its rentacar.fr.  They are not my favorite agency because of their insurance provisions (this may have changed).  Other agencies are located outside the port and getting to them can be problematic because the taxis at the port might not be willing to take the short haul.   We sometimes walk out of the port to a nearby agency but that is still over a 1 mile hike.

As to getting lost, it is wise to have a road map as backup and use GPS as your primary means.  A working cell phone (with data) should be OK, but having a dedicated GPS such as a Garmin Nuvi is even better.  Getting to Honfleur is relatively simple unless you somehow miss a very large bridge :).  Speaking of bridges I do believe that the Normandy Bridge has a toll so make sure to have some Euros in your pocket.  Trying to use a US issued credit card on French toll roads may or may not work so having some cash is very wise.

Had to smile about the gypsy warning.  Bottom line is that it is not safe to leave valuables in a car anywhere in Europe!  But since you are just doing a day trip off a ship there is no reason to leave anything in the car.  When DW and I do long driving trips around Europe, and have our luggage in the car, we even take shifts at gas stations (one of us always stays with the car).

Hank

I rented a car from Sixt on Quai de Southampton all sorted online before the cruise - you could see the ship docked at the Cruise terminal from their office, but to walk it you had to 'do 3 sides of a square to leave the port. Was allocated a super car - BMW and no problems whatsoever. 

Drove up to Dieppe to revisit places I visited as a French exchange student and then back south to go over the bridge to visit Honfleur. As I have a disabled parking badge I was able to to park right in the middle of Honfleur which was great. We had a lovely afternoon there. Returning the car just meant dropping the keys through the door. Getting a taxi to get back to the ship wasn't easy though til we hot on the idea of asking the restaurant next door if they would ring for a taxi for us 🙂 Perfect. I do speak French and the French always appreciate it if you make the effort to try to speak the language - and a thank you in polite French always goes down well so Include "Merci (Monsieur, Madame or Mademoiselle)"

Do a little bit of research before you go re road signs and trace your route(s) on Google maps and all should be fine. 

• 4 months later...

There are essentially 4 options for renting a car in Le Havre.  Rentacar, which is in the port terminal; Sixt, which is about a 25 minute walk (but the office is actually visible across the water from the ship); Enterprise, which is actually a bit closer than Sixt, but on the same street; and EuropCar, which is a couple of miles away and requires a taxi to reach.  The good thing about EuropCar is that it's on the road you'll be taking if you're headed to the Normandy Beaches, so you won't be wasting any time backtracking.  FYI, the EuropCar agency may be listed as being at the Le Havre airport, but if you check the actual address, it should show up as being on Rue Pierre Semard, which is a small side street off D6015, the main road out of town.

Many times you can find the best rates by going through a broker like Expedia or Kayak rather than booking directly.  I found an extraordinary rate that was half what I found elsewhere by going through AutoEurope.co.uk.  Book early and then keep checking to see if you can catch a rate drop.

There is a gas (petrol) station on the same road as EuropCar just a couple of blocks from the EuropCar office.  Very convenient to use for refilling your vehicle before you return it, regardless of who you rent from.

We’re going to be in le Havre again next May and will be renting a car to visit Giverny and maybe Etretat. Am debating which rental agency to go with, not really looking forward to the trek into town so it’ll probably be Rentacar again. In the US, actually even in other places in France Enterprise has picked me up when I couldn’t get to their office but won’t bank on their doing this at le Havre. And taxis will refuse the short ride, understandably so perhaps. Still in two minds, need to check with the others...

Edited by prish