Live Brilliance of the Seas Review 3/4/19 - Vegetarian, gluten free, disabilty incls

It's been a hot minute since my last live review (Explorer in Alaska last May/June), but it is finally spring break and we're hoping on the Brilliance of the Seas out of Tampa to Key West and Cozumel, leaving March 4th for a 5 night cruise.

I'm CatLadyFemme, a professor at the University of Michigan, a cat lady (obviously), and a moderately experienced cruiser. I am disabled/live with chronic pain, and so walk with a cane, plus I am a vegetarian and have celiac disease so am super duper gluten free. In addition to things like photos of the rooms, cruise compasses, etc., I will post about finding vegetarian GF food (we've had some AMAZING luck like with Belic on the Explorer, and some not great experiences where I ate iceberg salad and berries for days), and access/ADA issues. Oh! I'm also queer, so there may be some stuff about the LGBTQ meet up, Key West, etc. I like to stay in the shade and read, or enjoy the hot tubs with a big floppy hat.

This is me:

832023847_ScreenShot2019-03-02at11_28_20AM.thumb.png.773eeed5e7b9948f4140f164000790a1.png

My partner, Mr. CatLadyFemme, works as a research project manager, also loves cats, spends a lot of time in the sun, around the pool, and at the gym. He's pretty cute:

168163308_ScreenShot2019-03-02at11_29_27AM.thumb.png.80d763871047b8e2c58dfbde79b01c2f.png

We'll be staying in our first balcony (an accessible one), having only stayed in ocean view before, so feel pretty swanky heading up to Deck 7. Nothing planned for Key West; we do love the Hemmingway House, or might just go chill in the Gayborhood. In Cozumel, we're trying our Mr. Sanchos for the first time, having both explored on our own before, and did the massage/Chakanaab deal before. We have early seating at dinner, like seeing most of the shows, and are super excited to get out of very cold Michigan. We have the refreshment package this time (after trying to the drink package last spring and not being able to consume enough alcohol to make it worth it), and internet.

We fly to Tampa tomorrow and are staying at the Barrymore Hotel. I've only been to Tampa for a conference before, so it'll be a newish experience. A friend is driving up to meet us for dinner from Orlando, and I think we're going to try for the Columbia, which I remember liking in 2014.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or requests; otherwise, I'll try to do regular updates (assuming the internet isn't wonky), post occasional pictures, and hopefully induce a small amount of envy.

• Like 2

We are staying at the Barrymore Hotel in the Riverwalk. It is...ok. There was a huge 20+ minute line in the lobby to check in when we first got here to check in, so MrCatLadyFemme waited in line while I sat down.

Room is ok, but you can hear EVERYTHING anyone says in the hallway or in the bathroom next door. Also, bed is a queen not a king. Great location though, and the river walk is nice if you have the time. 5a87624eb21a540dea0c7af1329d19f0.jpgd9d95412c9d13bef2b28473408a7c63b.jpg24dccce3933abc48972bd6e668932699.jpgc1a418079f8a4e2c33bbd09e241ec973.jpgd63c0f9fd92567fcf27d33b50d06a6b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For dinner, we went to the Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City. Definitely recommend a reservation. I appreciated they had a GF menu (also with sections about dairy free and nut free), as well as things labeled vegetarian. We decided to split a pitcher of Cava Sangria (made at the table), Queso Fundito (had asked for toast points on a separate plate), the Heart of Palm salad (meh), the vegetarian Paella (this was super good), and the Creme de Casalita for dessert (lit on fire at the table). Everything was decent, but this place is definitely more about the atmosphere for sure. I love stuff prepared at the table, so I was a happy lady.30e2f5375956b30830273e995b1e04ff.jpg5cc969ce20d620f3cf082bb89c1bf78c.jpg87368e322cac32e1f4e4bd19d00120ec.jpg453c08251ee96989ecece08baee31380.jpg0b042232f01108dee81a220cd234ca14.jpg7884fc194c447d98b437feca229db38e.jpge02cca55a94379ca5c822c324b5a9738.jpgb0536c588d96bd663773287f49e0d11a.jpgbb941627c63076e0ef6e2fb15359e822.jpg

Then we walked around the area, and watched a wrestling match spill out of the Orpheum into the street, heard a bicycle with a massive boom box, watched some motorcycles pop wheelies, walked by many venues with live music, found a $5 bill which we passed onto a homeless gentleman a block down, and then hopped a ride back to the hotel.

• Like 1

Sailing Brilliance in two months, so I'll be following along to see some pics of the ship and read your impression of Brilliance.

Also, thank you for bringing your full authentic self to this review and being open about what makes you, you! 

10 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

For dinner, we went to the Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City. Definitely recommend a reservation. I appreciated they had a GF menu (also with sections about dairy free and nut free), as well as things labeled vegetarian. We decided to split a pitcher of Cava Sangria (made at the table), Queso Fundito (had asked for toast points on a separate plate), the Heart of Palm salad (meh), the vegetarian Paella (this was super good), and the Creme de Casalita for dessert (lit on fire at the table). Everything was decent, but this place is definitely more about the atmosphere for sure. I love stuff prepared at the table, so I was a happy lady.30e2f5375956b30830273e995b1e04ff.jpg5cc969ce20d620f3cf082bb89c1bf78c.jpg87368e322cac32e1f4e4bd19d00120ec.jpg453c08251ee96989ecece08baee31380.jpg0b042232f01108dee81a220cd234ca14.jpg7884fc194c447d98b437feca229db38e.jpge02cca55a94379ca5c822c324b5a9738.jpgb0536c588d96bd663773287f49e0d11a.jpgbb941627c63076e0ef6e2fb15359e822.jpg

Then we walked around the area, and watched a wrestling match spill out of the Orpheum into the street, heard a bicycle with a massive boom box, watched some motorcycles pop wheelies, walked by many venues with live music, found a $5 bill which we passed onto a homeless gentleman a block down, and then hopped a ride back to the hotel.

Following.

Glad you enjoyed the Columbia. Personally, I am not a fan and find it over rated. However, I have not looked at it from a vegetarian standpoint, and it is good that you were able have a nice meal there. 

Enjoy Brilliance, she was wonderful back in October. 

51 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Following.

Glad you enjoyed the Columbia. Personally, I am not a fan and find it over rated. However, I have not looked at it from a vegetarian standpoint, and it is good that you were able have a nice meal there. 

I feel the same way about the Columbia.  My favorite and only thing I order is the 1905 Salad and found out that they can make it vegetarian and gluten free.

11 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

For dinner, we went to the Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City.  ...

We've never been to the Columbia in Ybor City, but have been to the Sarasota location about a half-dozen times.  One of the most extensive menus I've ever seen.  I've had something different each time and it was excellent.  Service was outstanding too.

Will be following as I am a vegetarian, I can handle a bit of gluten but not much.  Found it was pretty easy finding many vegetarian options so that’s one of many reasons we love to cruise.  By the way, you are missing another “polar vortex “ here in Michigan and as a U of M alumni, Go Blue!

Following.

It was definitely fun, but not amazing. I don’t know if we would go back next time or try somewhere new. Worth a one time experience I would say.

Fingers crossed we don't have a fog issue tomorrow morning causing any cruise delays. It's supposed to be cooler here in the Tampa Bay are this week, so we shall see how that plays out with the morning fog.

Oy! Definitely crossing many body parts.

Will be following as I am a vegetarian, I can handle a bit of gluten but not much.  Found it was pretty easy finding many vegetarian options so that’s one of many reasons we love to cruise.  By the way, you are missing another “polar vortex “ here in Michigan and as a U of M alumni, Go Blue!

So I have heard; glad we are out of it, and also that our cat sitter is cuddling our babies. Keep warm!!