Eastern Mediterranean Cruise?

SMHG

Good Day,

What is the best Eastern Mediterranean luxury cruise line and ship?

What are the most beautiful ports?

Venice to Venice route

Including Croatia and the Greek Islands

That's an impossible question to answer. Even on luxury lines, each individual will have their own opinion on what is "best". You have given us no indication of what you might want. Do you want to sail with fewer than 200 others or would 800 be fine with you? How large do you want your stateroom to be, is 225 sq. feet ok or do you need larger than 400 sq. ft.? 

Does it have to be Venice to Venice as you might get better ports in a Venice to Athens. I could go on and on.

And the itinerary on a Venice to Venice route can be different on every cruise line and even on the same cruise line depending on the sailing.

If the itinerary includes Croatia and the Greek islands it's hard to find a port that is not beautiful.

imo I would look for a smaller ship that can dock in ports where larger ships cannot. This is especially important on this kind of itinerary.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I don't have enough experience. This is our first cruise trip. 

I did some search. I liked the route Venice to Athens on Viking Sea cruise.

Any experience with that?

It seems the larger suites are already sold out for 2020!

Do I need to book 1 or 2 years in advance?

Viking is  not  a Luxury line   so  maybe check some other small ship lines

Crystal, Regent  Silversea  & Seabourn

If you are willing to  not do a round trip Venice   you may find more options for Luxury lines

49 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Viking is  not  a Luxury line   so  maybe check some other small ship lines

Crystal, Regent  Silversea  & Seabourn

If you are willing to  not do a round trip Venice   you may find more options for Luxury lines

All true, but the OP has never cruised, so he might find Viking to be the "luxury" he's looking for. Sometimes I think it might be smart to start there and then move up to true luxury. I did a Holland America before my first Crystal and knew within 5 minutes of stepping on Crystal what a difference it was, and that was before Crystal went all inclusive.

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

All true, but the OP has never cruised, so he might find Viking to be the "luxury" he's looking for. Sometimes I think it might be smart to start there and then move up to true luxury. I did a Holland America before my first Crystal and knew within 5 minutes of stepping on Crystal what a difference it was, and that was before Crystal went all inclusive.

I would  agree

But  for them to think Viking is a luxury line they may not cruise a true Luxury line in the future

I prefer Oceania  but they are not a Luxury line either  but they work for us

57 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I would  agree

But  for them to think Viking is a luxury line they may not cruise a true Luxury line in the future

I prefer Oceania  but they are not a Luxury line either  but they work for us

Due to Crystal's favorable single supplement, I can cruise with them cheaper than Oceania for the same number of days in the same area of the world.

Just now, Texas Tillie said:

Due to Crystal's favorable single supplement, I can cruise with them cheaper than Oceania for the same number of days in the same area of the world.

not sure what it has to do with this  topic

Cruise line  choices are about personal preferences 

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

that is  your personal choice 

not sure what it has to do with this  topic

Cruise choices are about personal preferences 

Pointing out that a true luxury line can be less expensive than a premium line. 

And you have never gotten off topic?

Venice to Venice round trip is not common.  Venice to Athens or elsewhere is.

Or do two cruises!

I enjoyed both Regent and Seabourn small luxury lines in the eastern Med. Silver Sea and Crystal are other “luxury” lines where the primary language on board is English. They all have different pros and cons.

Viking and Azamara are upper premium.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:56 AM, SMHG said:

I liked the route Venice to Athens on Viking Sea cruise

Have you found the cruise critic forum dedicated to Viking Sea Cruises? You can probably get answers to your questions in their threads.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:14 PM, Texas Tillie said:

What does Crystal usually offer for solos? That's how I travel.

2 minutes ago, skleeb said:

What does Crystal usually offer for solos? That's how I travel.

Most cruises start at 130% for the cabins without balconies. The single supplement is capacity controlled, so booking sooner rather than later usually gets a lower single supplement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I've looked and those are never on enticing itineraries!

I'm doing the 13 day transatlantic next March, which means a lot of sea days(I'm fine with that) as a solo and got in for under $5,000 with free airfare, transfers, etc. But if you like a lot of ports, this wouldn't be your cup of tea. I am going for the relaxation and superb service they promise. 

55 minutes ago, skleeb said:

I'm doing the 13 day transatlantic next March, which means a lot of sea days(I'm fine with that) as a solo and got in for under $5,000 with free airfare, transfers, etc. But if you like a lot of ports, this wouldn't be your cup of tea. I am going for the relaxation and superb service they promise. 

That's the Silver Shadow, Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon? That ship carries under 400 passengers and doesn't have the entertainment and lecturers that I can get on a Crystal ship. I love repositionings on Crystal, but can't imagine doing one on a ship that small. Boring to me, but I hope you find it to your satisfaction.

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

That's the Silver Shadow, Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon? That ship carries under 400 passengers and doesn't have the entertainment and lecturers that I can get on a Crystal ship. I love repositionings on Crystal, but can't imagine doing one on a ship that small. Boring to me, but I hope you find it to your satisfaction.

Yes, the Shadow. Does Crystal do repositioning/trans ocean for about the same price and amenities? It must stop in more ports, too, I imagine? This one is just Maderia and Lisbon.

11 hours ago, skleeb said:

Yes, the Shadow. Does Crystal do repositioning/trans ocean for about the same price and amenities? It must stop in more ports, too, I imagine? This one is just Maderia and Lisbon.

You'd need to check the current prices as I've done 2 trans Atlantics with Crystal and can't remember the fares. One was Barcelona to Miami with stops at the Canaries and St. Marteen. The other was Miami to Lisbon with stops at Bermuda (2 days) and the Azores. So, yes, more stops, but not many. Crystal has unbeatable entertainment and lecturers compared to the other luxury lines. They can do this partly because they carry more passengers - 800 plus and 900 plus - on their 2 ocean ships.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 6:23 AM, Texas Tillie said:

You'd need to check the current prices as I've done 2 trans Atlantics with Crystal and can't remember the fares. One was Barcelona to Miami with stops at the Canaries and St. Marteen. The other was Miami to Lisbon with stops at Bermuda (2 days) and the Azores. So, yes, more stops, but not many. Crystal has unbeatable entertainment and lecturers compared to the other luxury lines. They can do this partly because they carry more passengers - 800 plus and 900 plus - on their 2 ocean ships.

This is your opinion and should be respected.  However, not everyone thinks as highly of Crystal as you do.  Some of us could care less about lecturers or entertainment.  I should add that we just concluded a cruise on Regent where PBS (Public Broadcasting) was onboard.  The lecturers and entertainment was over the top (including entertainment that has performed on Broadway).  They used to go on Crystal but, for whatever reason, have switched to Regent.   Although I typically fall asleep during lectures, I was wide awake and extremely interested in what these people had to say.

In my opinion, Silversea does the best transatlantic/repositioning cruises.  Their wine and food events (tasting, classes, etc.) beat any cruise line that we have been on (and although we have not sailed on Crystal, I have never read that they do anything close to what Silversea does).

Getting back to Regent, they have a Culinary Center on the Explorer and soon to be launched Splendor (for those of you that have watched "Chopped" on the Food Network in the U.S., the set-up is similar to that.  You have your own "station" with a stove, sink, utensils and everything prepped for you.  This should be of particular interest to people sailing in the Med. because they have excursions where you start in the Culinary Kitchen, go to a restaurant and prepare food with the staff and end up back in the Culinary Kitchen - sometimes to replicate what you have seen or perhaps just to have some wine.  It is a one of a kind experience.

My point is that all luxury cruise lines (Seabourn, Silversea, Regent and Crystal) have pluses and minuses.  It is not a "one size fits all" situation.  So, do your homework and decide for yourself which cruise line would likely meet your requirements.

Happy sailing!

9 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

This is your opinion and should be respected.  However, not everyone thinks as highly of Crystal as you do.  Some of us could care less about lecturers or entertainment.  I should add that we just concluded a cruise on Regent where PBS (Public Broadcasting) was onboard.  The lecturers and entertainment was over the top (including entertainment that has performed on Broadway).  They used to go on Crystal but, for whatever reason, have switched to Regent.   Although I typically fall asleep during lectures, I was wide awake and extremely interested in what these people had to say.

In my opinion, Silversea does the best transatlantic/repositioning cruises.  Their wine and food events (tasting, classes, etc.) beat any cruise line that we have been on (and although we have not sailed on Crystal, I have never read that they do anything close to what Silversea does).

Getting back to Regent, they have a Culinary Center on the Explorer and soon to be launched Splendor (for those of you that have watched "Chopped" on the Food Network in the U.S., the set-up is similar to that.  You have your own "station" with a stove, sink, utensils and everything prepped for you.  This should be of particular interest to people sailing in the Med. because they have excursions where you start in the Culinary Kitchen, go to a restaurant and prepare food with the staff and end up back in the Culinary Kitchen - sometimes to replicate what you have seen or perhaps just to have some wine.  It is a one of a kind experience.

My point is that all luxury cruise lines (Seabourn, Silversea, Regent and Crystal) have pluses and minuses.  It is not a "one size fits all" situation.  So, do your homework and decide for yourself which cruise line would likely meet your requirements.

Happy sailing!

Thank you for acknowledging that my opinion should be respected. What I don't understand is why you constantly feel the need to disparage Crystal when you admit you have never sailed on the line. I have no problem with people having a "favorite", but I just can't understand your need to be so anti-Crystal when you have never sailed the line.  But, you are consistent. 🙄

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Thank you for acknowledging that my opinion should be respected. What I don't understand is why you constantly feel the need to disparage Crystal when you admit you have never sailed on the line. I have no problem with people having a "favorite", but I just can't understand your need to be so anti-Crystal when you have never sailed the line.  But, you are consistent. 🙄

I am not anti Crystal.  The main reasons that we did not sail with them in the past is based on factual information (suite size, former dress code, former dinner seating, former smoking policy, etc.).  Now that all except the suite size has been corrected, it is a viable option.  The second reason is more difficult to explain in a nice way.  Some Crystal passengers that claim to be "Crystalized" can be a bit snobby and have posters have visited other boards to put the other cruise line down (this has been going on for years) or to brag about Crystal.  One example is that when Crystal wins an award some feel the need to brag/post about it on other boards.  This is unusual behavior.  When Regent or Silversea win an award, I have not seen them posting about it on other luxury boards.  So, we are a bit concerned about the passengers on Crystal.

I do recommend Crystal for children as it sounds as if they have the best children's program amongst luxury lines.  And, I do think that some luxury cruisers would enjoy Crystal while others would not (the same can be said for any of the "big four" luxury cruise lines.  Finally, I do believe that Crystal likely has the best entertainment and enrichment programs.

26 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I am not anti Crystal.  The main reasons that we did not sail with them in the past is based on factual information (suite size, former dress code, former dinner seating, former smoking policy, etc.).  Now that all except the suite size has been corrected, it is a viable option.  The second reason is more difficult to explain in a nice way.  Some Crystal passengers that claim to be "Crystalized" can be a bit snobby and have posters have visited other boards to put the other cruise line down (this has been going on for years) or to brag about Crystal.  One example is that when Crystal wins an award some feel the need to brag/post about it on other boards.  This is unusual behavior.  When Regent or Silversea win an award, I have not seen them posting about it on other luxury boards.  So, we are a bit concerned about the passengers on Crystal.

I do recommend Crystal for children as it sounds as if they have the best children's program amongst luxury lines.  And, I do think that some luxury cruisers would enjoy Crystal while others would not (the same can be said for any of the "big four" luxury cruise lines.  Finally, I do believe that Crystal likely has the best entertainment and enrichment programs.

I have no doubt that you will find "jerks" on any of the luxury lines, but I can't imagine that you would find a higher percentage on Crystal than any of the others. I will give you credit for not being anti Crystal if, in the future, you post positive comments on your favorite lines without being critical of Crystal as you have been in the past. It's fine to post on the size of the cabins, as that is a fact, but not fair to post opinions on something you have never experienced.

One of the Crystal positives is a negative and keeps me from the other luxury lines. I can sail on Crystal as a solo for 130% and I have never been able to find a cruise on Regent, Seabourn or Silversea for anything like that. Yes, I've seen a repositioning on Silversea for a low single supplement, but I don't want to sail from Lisbon to Barbados!😳

It is true Crystal still does have lower single supplements - one of the reasons that i will go on Crystal to Alaska, also because it is still far better as the others in that area including Oceania.

Silversea does have quite some offers at 25 % -  occasionnaly on Regent at 50 % but i am not attracted to that company because i find it too expensive in view i never do organised  excursions.  ( far too slow for me )

I will not go back to Seabourn caused by the heavy single supplements , the complete random of granting upgrades  ( ignoring in full your status - i am honest to admit it  ) and the fact the MDR is closed most of the days for lunch.

I noticed on Crystal and also on Seabourn quite often  some extremely demanding passengers staying in the very high priced level -  ranging from :

specials on a daily base ( nothing to do with diet or health ) , unfriendly attitude to the crew , sending back items for a silly reason , constantly  demanding absolute priority to be served  …

i found - on all companies - quite a lot of those guests - lecturers and artists  does perform quite of an attitude : ranging from a piano player on Crystal doing the same act since the end of last century over  guest chefs on Silversea to a soprano on her way back on Hapag Lloyd