Drink Menu with prices

luvtocook

We did a 2 week star Collector cruise on the Pride in February. It was a strange cruise, from a liquor package perspective. First issue was a surprise price increase on the top level beverage package and the elimination of the middle tier. It had gone up about $7 (along with the obvious tip increase) taking the package to $59 plus gratuity. Wines available in the first week were not available the second week. The usual "any wine under $11.50 per glass is included in the beverage package" is no longer true. I ordered a wine that was $11.50 and the Bar tender said it was not included in the package. I said that the menu says it's $11.50 so, it should be covered. He presented me with a brand new list of included wines. It is rather limited in quantity and even more limited by "We don't have any of that". Kind of a disappointing development and worst of all, an unannounced, unadvertised change, particularly to already booked guests. So, do your research thoroughly...... just because a wine is on a bar menu, it does not mean it's part of the "new"2019 beverage package. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 10:07 AM, Grayboots said:

I emailed Windstar a few weeks ago and this is what they provided for the Star Pride. Hope the link works. I am tech challenged. 

Bar Menu Final MAY 2018.pdf 528.21 kB · 113 downloads

This bar menu is no longer valid. See my post on page 2. The Beverage Packages, Prices (package and per drink) have gone up and the listed wines have changed due to Windstar's contracts with providers. My favorite, Oberon, is no longer available. Additionally, if you are picky about your drinks, you need to be aware that just because it's on the "menu" doesn't mean it's included in the package. That has also changed. Now, there is a specific list of what you can have.

18 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

This bar menu is no longer valid. See my post on page 2. The Beverage Packages, Prices (package and per drink) have gone up and the listed wines have changed due to Windstar's contracts with providers. My favorite, Oberon, is no longer available. Additionally, if you are picky about your drinks, you need to be aware that just because it's on the "menu" doesn't mean it's included in the package. That has also changed. Now, there is a specific list of what you can have.

Do you by chance have the list or an idea of whats on it? I had no issues getting Grey Goose in December under the captains package/top level and now concerned that might not be included. thanks!

43 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I have emailed Windstar for an updated menu.  I will pass it on if/when I get it.

40 minutes ago, minidonuts85 said:

Do you by chance have the list or an idea of whats on it? I had no issues getting Grey Goose in December under the captains package/top level and now concerned that might not be included. thanks!

Sorry, I don't have a copy of the new menu. I am 99% sure that most of the hard liquors haven't changed much. The biggest change was the wines available in the package and individual non package drink prices are up.

1 hour ago, MRGACRUZR said:

The phrase I bolded is usually used as a euphemism for "we asked our providers to lower their costs, and this is what they came up with."  We're on a back-to-back in a few months and I'm seriously considering not going with the package this time will all these increased prices and downgrades of the package. I especially like the comment from another poster that the bar was quick to say what wasn't included, but didn't have a list of what was.

1 hour ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Sorry, I don't have a copy of the new menu. I am 99% sure that most of the hard liquors haven't changed much. The biggest change was the wines available in the package and individual non package drink prices are up.

This is all really good info. I noticed the "flyer" posted for the bev packages on the WS site is now just a one-pager with "hey here are the two packages" and no list of inclusions as they've posted in the past. I sure hope they provide an updated list.

6 minutes ago, minidonuts85 said:

This is all really good info. I noticed the "flyer" posted for the bev packages on the WS site is now just a one-pager with "hey here are the two packages" and no list of inclusions as they've posted in the past. I sure hope they provide an updated list.

This is what Windstar just sent me.  I also asked for the bar menu prices for individual drinks and bottles of wine, but haven't received those yet. 

2019 Beverage Package Flyer_12.5.18.pdf

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grayboots said:

This is what Windstar just sent me.  I also asked for the bar menu prices for individual drinks and bottles of wine, but haven't received those yet. 

2019 Beverage Package Flyer_12.5.18.pdf 1.01 MB · 9 downloads

This is very helpful, thank you!

I can definitely see where they've narrowed down the wine selection as MRGACRUIZER pointed out.

MRGACRUZR,

We has similar issue with Bev Pkge on our Wind Surf Cruise in February. We found out a few days before on this thread that the packages were changing effective Feb 1st. We wanted to get the $42 wine package but this was increased to $49 by the time we got on the ship (wanted to use OBC to purchase). The funny thing is that our friends bought the packages ahead of cruise and paid less for them, although they did not get the benefits of the much better previous wine list which was being phased out. We sailed on Feb 2nd and they were changing the wine lists on embarkation day and there was confusion initially as to what was included vs what wasn’t.  We felt that the price increase and lower quality of wines on the new list vs before was no longer a worthwhile proposition and will likely buy more wine by the bottle on future cruises (bartenders will keep your opened wine bottles overnight for next day consumption)

11 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

MRGACRUZR,

We has similar issue with Bev Pkge on our Wind Surf Cruise in February. We found out a few days before on this thread that the packages were changing effective Feb 1st. We wanted to get the $42 wine package but this was increased to $49 by the time we got on the ship (wanted to use OBC to purchase). The funny thing is that our friends bought the packages ahead of cruise and paid less for them, although they did not get the benefits of the much better previous wine list which was being phased out. We sailed on Feb 2nd and they were changing the wine lists on embarkation day and there was confusion initially as to what was included vs what wasn’t.  We felt that the price increase and lower quality of wines on the new list vs before was no longer a worthwhile proposition and will likely buy more wine by the bottle on future cruises (bartenders will keep your opened wine bottles overnight for next day consumption)

Sounds like identical experiences. I think the crew was a little embarrassed because of the way it was handled.

18 hours ago, Grayboots said:

2019 Beverage Package Flyer_12.5.18.pdf 1.01 MB · 20 downloads

Good for you.  Your the first, that I know of, that has been able to get the second page of the new drink package.

21 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

MRGACRUZR,

Some times you roll the dice. We wanted to wait to book the package on board because we were going on a Star Collector cruise where there is suppossed to be a $5 per person discount off the beverage package. Seattle seemed clueless. We were hopeful the Bar Manager on the Pride would be more familiar. Big mistake, sort of. We got the $5 per person discount on the package but, as we boarded they were breaking out the brand new sign stating that the top tier beverage package went up $7. Net to us: a loss of $2 pp, per day by waiting to get the Star Collector discount. 

On 3/27/2019 at 12:05 PM, MRGACRUZR said:

Do you remember what the draft beer price was?  In a menu that Windstar sent me a few months ago it was $5.00 per glass.  That seems reasonable.  And individual non package drink prices were around $8.50 for non premium brands.  Does that sound right, or have those gone up? Thanks for info!

1 hour ago, Grayboots said:

Do you remember what the draft beer price was?  In a menu that Windstar sent me a few months ago it was $5.00 per glass.  That seems reasonable.  And individual non package drink prices were around $8.50 for non premium brands.  Does that sound right, or have those gone up? Thanks for info!

The Heineken draft was $5. They may have had Stella on draft for 5.50. There was so much change in the drinks and drink pkg, it's hard to be specific. We were on the package so, we didn't pay a lot of attention to the price. 8.50  - 8.95 seems about right. I don't have a copy of the current bar menu, just what's included in the drink package. Sorry.

On 4/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, MRGACRUZR said:

The Heineken draft was $5. They may have had Stella on draft for 5.50. There was so much change in the drinks and drink pkg, it's hard to be specific. We were on the package so, we didn't pay a lot of attention to the price. 8.50  - 8.95 seems about right. I don't have a copy of the current bar menu, just what's included in the drink package. Sorry.

I guess I'm not going on any more Windstar cruises.  My history with WS began on the Surf several years back.  They would not allow you to bring on any liquor but the bartenders poured good sized drinks and unless staying drunk was a goal I felt the pricing without the package was pretty decent.  Then we went on the Legend and they didn't seem to care if you brought some liquor on, but again, the pours were decent and prices not too bad.  The last experience was the Breeze last summer.  Nothing allowed to be carried on, very carefully measured shots, higher prices, and generally poor service made it a very poor bar experience.  Now, I was about to pop on a 14 day Caribbean but $135 per day extra and the bar prices has turned me completely off Windstar.  ($59/day plus 15% X 2)  Much of their product is great, but being fleeced after ponying up pretty big bucks to ride their boat has given me a poor taste.  That will be it for us.

2 hours ago, wildcat68 said:

I guess I'm not going on any more Windstar cruises.  My history with WS began on the Surf several years back.  They would not allow you to bring on any liquor but the bartenders poured good sized drinks and unless staying drunk was a goal I felt the pricing without the package was pretty decent.  Then we went on the Legend and they didn't seem to care if you brought some liquor on, but again, the pours were decent and prices not too bad.  The last experience was the Breeze last summer.  Nothing allowed to be carried on, very carefully measured shots, higher prices, and generally poor service made it a very poor bar experience.  Now, I was about to pop on a 14 day Caribbean but $135 per day extra and the bar prices has turned me completely off Windstar.  ($59/day plus 15% X 2)  Much of their product is great, but being fleeced after ponying up pretty big bucks to ride their boat has given me a poor taste.  That will be it for us.

just have to ask. What lines have better deals? I’d love to know. 

12 hours ago, wildcat68 said:

Now, I was about to pop on a 14 day Caribbean but $135 per day extra and the bar prices has turned me completely off Windstar.  ($59/day plus 15% X 2)  Much of their product is great, but being fleeced after ponying up pretty big bucks to ride their boat has given me a poor taste.  That will be it for us.

We usually do not buy the packages since we don't drink enough to justify, but we have a family cruise coming up on Celebrity, so out of curiosity I checked to see what their prices are.  Three different packages priced at $49/$59/$69 per person per day plus an added 20% service charge. 

Of course, keep in mind that Celebrity also does NOT offer free water, soft drinks or specialty coffee drinks.  They also have packages for those priced at $22/$18/$16/$9 per person per day plus the 20%.  I was surprised to see that the one at $16 was for water!!!  It is premium water, but still seems a little high for water!!

50 minutes ago, stcruise said:

We usually do not buy the packages since we don't drink enough to justify, but we have a family cruise coming up on Celebrity, so out of curiosity I checked to see what their prices are.  Three different packages priced at $49/$59/$69 per person per day plus an added 20% service charge. 

Of course, keep in mind that Celebrity also does NOT offer free water, soft drinks or specialty coffee drinks.  They also have packages for those priced at $22/$18/$16/$9 per person per day plus the 20%.  I was surprised to see that the one at $16 was for water!!!  It is premium water, but still seems a little high for water!!

I checked Oceania cruises and their drink packages range from 39.95 to 59.95 per person per day.  So I think Windstar is comparable to other luxury cruise lines in their category.

19 hours ago, milepig said:

just have to ask. What lines have better deals? I’d love to know. 

When you consider the gratuities, and drink package, Seabourn is competitive and probably better overall product.  Viking ocean charges $20 pp per day with no added gratuities.  Their selection is comparable (possibly better in some liquor/Cognac categories) but without the package Viking's per drink price is less by quite a margin.  Viking's drink prices include the gratuity.  And Grey Goose is still Grey Goose regardless of which ship it is being poured on.  If I didn't feel like I was being taken advantage of I would probably not be as concerned.  Windstar has a great product but.....They are not cheap cruises and overpriced regarding drinks.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wildcat68 said:

When you consider the gratuities, and drink package, Seabourn is competitive and probably better overall product.  Viking ocean charges $20 pp per day with no added gratuities.  Their selection is comparable (possibly better in some liquor/Cognac categories) but without the package Viking's per drink price is less by quite a margin.  Viking's drink prices include the gratuity.  And Grey Goose is still Grey Goose regardless of which ship it is being poured on.  If I didn't feel like I was being taken advantage of I would probably not be as concerned.  Windstar has a great product but.....They are not cheap cruises and overpriced regarding drinks.

A standard package on Viking is “complimentary” which means the costs are part of the cruise price. The $20 is for an upgrade package, so a bit of apples and oranges. 

7 hours ago, milepig said:

A standard package on Viking is “complimentary” which means the costs are part of the cruise price. The $20 is for an upgrade package, so a bit of apples and oranges. 

No, a standard package on Viking includes limited selection beer and wine During Meals.  The Silver Spirits Beverage package is different.  It includes upgraded wine and beer, plus liquor and cocktails.  

Hello all,

I recently came back from an awesome Windstar cruise in Tahiti, and like most of you I was trying to figure out if the drinks package is of any value (I was almost certain that I will get it once on board).

Once I boarded the ship I had a quick look on the menu and decided to skip the package and simply pay by drink. I certainly made the right choice and would recommend to anyone to simply skip the package. It's not worth it.

We were two of us having quite of few drinks daily (few cocktails each in the afternoon, pre and after dinner, had few drinks each from the minibar in the late evening, and a bottle of fairly decent wine during dinner every night... I mean we really had whatever and whenever we wanted) and the total bill for drinks was $550 for two of us. The package would've cost us $949 for the duration of the cruise.

It's a no brainer.

My personal opinion is that Windstar is a destination orientated cruise line and you spend most time on shore exploring, and considering that there isn't much to do in the evenings you are in bed fairly early, so drinks package is not of any value compared to bigger cruise lines where you mainly indulge in eating and drinking (which is not my type of cruise anyway). It might be slightly different if your particular cruise involves sea days, but I don't think there are many Windstar itineraries with long crossings (not an expert here).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the updated wine list, they still have a decent wine list. Something for everyone. Last Summer we did 15 days in the Med, it was very warm and we really enjoyed a few glasses of the Riff Pinot Grigio following a day exploring. The Sparkling wines on the list are all very nice for those sail away, and the Ancient Peaks Merlot, Hangtime Pinot Noir and the Silver Totem Cabernet Sauvignon are all wonderful wines to enjoy with a hearty dinner.

We will be getting the beverage package for our October cruise on the legend.

• Like 1