Barcelona - Athens - Athens

sb44

As a long time contributor to the Windstar Forum I know there are many of you regulars who have done the coast of Spain, Italy, Malta, Sicily, Greece and the Greek Islands.   We are finally doing this on the Surf in July and August, 20 glorious days!  The Surf hasn't done the Greek islands in several years and we were waiting as we love this ship.  Would love to hear some great advice on tours you've done, tour guides, (private or through Windstar), hotels, etc.  We'll be a few days in Barcelona first which is the third time so we know where to stay and what we want to do.  Any great hotels in Athens? We'll be staying over a few days plus the "turnaround" day for the Athens-Athens leg. Would love some great advice.  Thanks in advance!

Years ago we did a "3 Continent" cruise that ended in Athens. We stayed close to the Platka and loved walking around that area; there are lots of shops, restaurants and bars. At that time we stayed in a hotel but if you are going to be there a few nights I would look at airBnB or VRBO to find something. We love having an apartment to spread out in instead of a hotel room. We also went to the Acropolis (can't remember if we walked or took a taxi)

We also took a 3/4 day bus tour so we could go see Olympia, Corinth and such. That way, besides the Greek Islands we visited on the cruise we were able to see some of the interior of Greece and felt like we "did" Greece.

I reviewed the Wind Surf cruises we did this past September starting in Lisbon to Barcelona; Barcelona to Rome; and Rome around Sicily and back to Rome. Back2back2back equaling 25 days of bliss! We did most of the ports on our own. We loved the Wind Surf and I can't wait to sail with her again!

Here is the link to my review of Yachtsman's Harbors of the Rivieria: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=638116

And here is the link to Sicilian Splendors: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=648607

Have a wonderful time!!

Edited by Ski Mom 2
  • Thanks 1

We will be staying in Athens in May before boarding the Star Pride. Sounds like some of our destinations are the same.

So regarding Athens here some things to look into:

The hotel we are staying is the AVA, right in the Platka area.

From the port you might want to make arrangements for transportation to your hotel. Check out George's Taxi.

We always do some tours first to get acclimated. 

Athens Free Tour has walking tours that run fairly frequently.

If you like biking check out Solebike

If visiting Santorini check out Tours by Locals, specifically we are using Eugenia L

In Malta we are doing a private walking tour through Tours by Locals using Ann Marie

Hope this helps

Edited by beachtrl
  • Thanks 1