Japan in Typhoon season??

bazzaw

I have noted quite a few cruises in Japanese waters in August and September - but also note that these months are supposedly during the height of the Typhoon season. Am wondering why cruislines would operate in these waters during these months??  Am I missing something ?? 

2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I have noted quite a few cruises in Japanese waters in August and September - but also note that these months are supposedly during the height of the Typhoon season. Am wondering why cruislines would operate in these waters during these months?

I have also noted quite a few cruises in Caribbean waters in August, September and October - but also note that these months are supposedly during the height of the hurricane season. So I also wonder why cruise lines would operate in these waters during these months?

August is festival time in Japan.   We did a wonderful cruise last August 19 night b2b.  Our time in port was much longer than previous cruises in Japan due to the festivals.

Negative is the terrible heat and humidity and yes we did miss one port due to left over typhoon weather.

2 years earlier some of our group were delayed flying Gold Coast to Narita due to a typhoon.  Fortunately they had allowed 2 nights pre cruise so still managed to make the cruise ok.

Bazza - The typhoon season lasts all 12 months in the NW Pacific.  Various areas have them usually over several different months of the year.  It's holiday season so they have cruises - just like Australia. 

We are cruising on Westerdam in April before she goes back to Vancouver for Alaska season.

We did a trans-Pacific last September followed by the a cruise around Japan.  We were impacted by not only Typhoon Trami (first leg of the B2B) but also by Kong-Rey on the second leg.  Our itinerary was modified, which caused stress for some passengers while others just "went with the flow."  In our case we "went with the flow."  Since I was the executor of the estate of a major family member, which took up a tremendous amount of time, we actually opted to book several shore excursions with the cruise line.  Other ports we did independent excursions.  Given the itinerary modifications that turned out to be a good plan.  And despite the two typhoons we had great weather with only rain one day.  The fall foliage was beautiful.

Yes, Typhoons happen with the peak season.  Hurricane season is 6 months long.  Forgot about the winter months, where many airports are snowed.  So why do any ship, even bother?  The reasons ships sail all year, including the very long poor weather seasons is because, weather, happens, and you can't predict it.  But when it happens, the ship, changes direction.  You are still on the ship, just hang on!!!!!1

• 9 months later...
On 3/6/2019 at 3:36 AM, Northern Aurora said:

We did a trans-Pacific last September followed by the a cruise around Japan.  We were impacted by not only Typhoon Trami (first leg of the B2B) but also by Kong-Rey on the second leg.  Our itinerary was modified, which caused stress for some passengers while others just "went with the flow."  In our case we "went with the flow."  Since I was the executor of the estate of a major family member, which took up a tremendous amount of time, we actually opted to book several shore excursions with the cruise line.  Other ports we did independent excursions.  Given the itinerary modifications that turned out to be a good plan.  And despite the two typhoons we had great weather with only rain one day.  The fall foliage was beautiful.

So,i assume that it is safe to travel on a cruise around Japan in August and September the peak of the typhoon season.

but will the ship rock a lot because I suffer from motion sickness.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 7:00 AM, Globaliser said:

I have also noted quite a few cruises in Caribbean waters in August, September and October - but also note that these months are supposedly during the height of the hurricane season. So I also wonder why cruise lines would operate in these waters during these months?

You forgot about earthquakes. Japan is one of the most earthquake-prone places on earth, all year round.

September and October are usually especially bad.

Now let's talk about Australia. Whenever I get into a conversation with an Aussie, I am inevitably regaled with vivid stories of all the Australian fish, animals, amphibians, birds, insects, spiders, snakes, and reptiles that can kill a person in just seconds, ensuring a horrible painful death with little to no warning or chance of prevention or cure.

This all seems to be a source of national pride with Australians.

Based on these stories, why would anyone want to visit Australia - ever?

• Like 1