No Smart Phone -- options: Cruise Card or Medalion?

DRS/NC

OK, I'm a dinosaur: I do not have nor want a Smart Phone.

I'm booked on the Caribbean Princess in Aug.  Will I still be able to get a regular cruise card?

Yes, I know that the Medallion would make opening my cabin door easier (esp. w/a scooter), but that doesn't justify buying a very expensive phone that I don't need/want.  I'll get Room Service the old fashion way -- if I have a place to eat in my cabin.

I jus want my little black card.  Possible?

• Like 1

We don't have a smart phone either and were told we certainly weren't the only ones. 

On our January cruise on Caribbean Princess when we got to the ship to check in, we were given both Medallions and our "black" cruise cards.  No problem just using the cruise card.

Even without a smart phone, the Medallion will do simple things like unlock the cabin door.

You will not have a problem!

Enjoy your cruise!  :classic_cool:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

OK, I'm a dinosaur: I do not have nor want a Smart Phone.

I'm booked on the Caribbean Princess in Aug.  Will I still be able to get a regular cruise card?

Yes, I know that the Medallion would make opening my cabin door easier (esp. w/a scooter), but that doesn't justify buying a very expensive phone that I don't need/want.  I'll get Room Service the old fashion way -- if I have a place to eat in my cabin.

I jus want my little black card.  Possible?

You don't need a phone. Cards are being phased out.

Following is from the passage contract of my upcoming cruise on the Regal Princess:

"The Medallion may be used alone or in combination with the Ocean Compass mobile application. Guests are not required to participate in the Ocean Medallion Program on Ocean-Enabled ships. Please contact Your ship staff to obtain a Cruise Card if you do not wish to participate in the Ocean Medallion Program."

Thank you, OCruiser, Colo Cruiser & Billco!

I thought I'd heard/read that I could still use a card, but a couple of people on FB were adamant that I had to have a phone/Medallion.  I knew I'd get better advise here.

Do I wait until I get to the ship or get it by mail, as I've read some people do?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

Thank you, OCruiser, Colo Cruiser & Billco!

I thought I'd heard/read that I could still use a card, but a couple of people on FB were adamant that I had to have a phone/Medallion.  I knew I'd get better advise here.

Do I wait until I get to the ship or get it by mail, as I've read some people do?

Since we had no smart phone to get Ocean Ready (or whatever they call it), it was easier for us to just let them give it to us upon arrival ... quick and easy.  

The medallion (without a smart phone) works the same as the cruise card so there is nothing strange to get use to.

Noticed in your signature  that you were Sitmar cruisers.  So were we.  Loved those "Fair" ships!  :classic_love:

Rick has a "dumbphone" and was able to use his Medallion just fine on our recent Regal cruise to open our door, get on/off the ship, and purchase drinks, etc. We didn't use our cards at all. You can even find your "shipmate/s" if need be on the screens by the elevators. I think people are stressing about this more than they need to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Since we had no smart phone to get Ocean Ready (or whatever they call it), it was easier for us to just let them give it to us upon arrival ... quick and easy.  

The medallion (without a smart phone) works the same as the cruise card so there is nothing strange to get use to.

Noticed in your signature  that you were Sitmar cruisers.  So were we.  Loved those "Fair" ships!  :classic_love:

Yes, we dearly loved Sitmar!  We started w/them in 1974 when our DD was 2.5. She grew up w/Mario (Matre d'); he always let her start the champagne waterfall. Our last cruise was 1989 & was actually our 1st Princess (Fairwind/Dawn Princess).

And thanks for the card info.

• Thanks 1

DRS/NC...I am with you!  I have a smart phone and I just want a cruise card.  I have been trying for 2 days just to get the correct information to download when I put in our reservation information.  We have decided this hassle is not worth it.  We cruise in 3 weeks.  I just want my cruise card.  I can get up and go to the bar to get my own drink and I am capable of opening my own door!  Calling Princess today to find out what to do next. 

We like to board the ship and put our phones in the safe.  That is one of the pleasures of cruising for us, not being "connected" all the time.  We were told cards are being phased out later this year, but the Medallion will function the same as the card...

• Like 4

Just off our first "Medallion" cruise and I have to say that this program needs work.

The medallion will - sometimes - unlock your door as you approach it, but more often than not ours did not. In fact, once my spouse had to go down to the Customer Service desk to reprogram the darn thing. I had to hold the thing on the icon in order for the door to unlock.

The medallion only functioned, all of the time, as the method of checking on or off the ship.

Most of the wait staff either couldn't figure out how to work it or the medallion simply did not function for orders. Again, more often than not, the staff resorted to the old way of taking orders - on paper for your signature.

One positive I did notice: the ship presumably had to upgrade their wifi signal in order for any chance of this program working so the internet service is better - clearly not the "best internet at sea" as touted, but better than it was. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, craftsrdkc said:

DRS/NC...I am with you!  I have a smart phone and I just want a cruise card.

As pointed out in an above post, you do not need a smart phone (or a dumb one) to use the Medallion. The Medallion functions just like the old cruise card did. Log off the ship and log back in. Make charges in shops, dining rooms, at bars, etc. Unlock your cabin door.

If you do have a smart phone you can use the optional features that the Medallion technology allows. Many of these can also be done if you do not have a smart phone by using terminals that Princess has all round the ship as well as on your cabin interactive TV.

The only reason Princess was issuing both Medallions and cruise cards is that the Medallions did not always work as the kinks were worked out during the implementation period.

So Princess will still issue a cruise card if you insist, but it will do no more or less than a Medallion can do without you having a smart phone.

I realize you don't need a smart phone for the Medallion, the problem is that the information being programed on the Medallions about our family members that are cruising is not correct.  I called the Princess and explained the problem I was having and I was told over the weekend a huge problem occurred with the Ocean Ready App and everyone who downloaded it recently is likely having problems.  They don't even know if the App will be fixed by the time I get on the ship, so our correct information may not even completely be put on my Medallions.  They have  implemented an IT Ticket to the tech department to try and fix it for us.  I realize kinks need to be worked out, but I just think this Medallion was a waste to begin with.  I just want sun, beach and a mojito!  Been a long winter 😉  18 Days to go!!!

21 minutes ago, craftsrdkc said:

I realize you don't need a smart phone for the Medallion, the problem is that the information being programed on the Medallions about our family members that are cruising is not correct.  I called the Princess and explained the problem I was having and I was told over the weekend a huge problem occurred with the Ocean Ready App and everyone who downloaded it recently is likely having problems.  They don't even know if the App will be fixed by the time I get on the ship, so our correct information may not even completely be put on my Medallions.  They have  implemented an IT Ticket to the tech department to try and fix it for us.  I realize kinks need to be worked out, but I just think this Medallion was a waste to begin with.  I just want sun, beach and a mojito!  Been a long winter 😉  18 Days to go!!!

What type of family info are you referring to?

My family info.  The information that is suppose to be inserted once you put your booking reference number into the Ocean Ready App.  Princess is trying to correct it for me.  The status of a couple of family members went in wrong as did some of the personal info that appears correct on the Princess.com website, but it is not transferring properly into the App.  Apparently, that is one of the kinks that appeared over this past weekend they are trying to fix.  Hopefully all will work out soon.  They are trying to make it work for me by the weekend.  Fingers crossed 🙂

I am so glad we are not alone.  My husband and I both have dumb phones; they get turned off and left in the safe for the duration of our cruise.  We sail Regal Princess in 12 days and my head was spinning reading about all of these apps...not interested.   Next month we're on the Grand Princess with just our cruise cards and that works for us.  

4 hours ago, craftsrdkc said:

I realize you don't need a smart phone for the Medallion, the problem is that the information being programed on the Medallions about our family members that are cruising is not correct. 

Slight correction: There is absolutely zero information about you or anybody else programmed on the Medallion. It only contains a unique identifier. All the information is stored on the ship's secure storage.

I can understand frustration with the Princess IT stuff. Their "crack" IT team often seems to be smoking crack. I think they are recruited from the ranks of those who couldn't quite make the grade as Walmart greeters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually there is enough information on the Medallion that even Princess was concerned about it being downloaded onto the App wrong.  That is why they are trying to fix it before our sail date.  The credit and immigration info might be in secure storage but the info that needs to be on the Medallion is wrong.  Thanks anyway.  I just hope this gets fixed.  Have checked again today....still wrong.  Again...fingers crossed..

Interesting about them phasing out cruise cards. On our trip in February on the Caribbean Princess it seems every time I bought a drink they would at my card and write down the number to use for charging it. I wonder how that is going to work in the brave new medallion world.

I carry an iPhone but leave the cell functions turned  off when on board.  I like having access to the ship information from things like Princess at Sea and the ability to take pictures and video.  I have seen people on board using iPads the same way.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, craftsrdkc said:

Actually there is enough information on the Medallion that even Princess was concerned about it being downloaded onto the App wrong.  That is why they are trying to fix it before our sail date.  The credit and immigration info might be in secure storage but the info that needs to be on the Medallion is wrong.  Thanks anyway.  I just hope this gets fixed.  Have checked again today....still wrong.  Again...fingers crossed..

No. As Thrak said, only a unique identifier is loaded into the Medallion. All the information you are talking about is not kept on the Medallion, it is on the ship's computer.

The (non-working) app for setting up the Medallion is only collecting the info so when on the ship's computer it can be associated with your unique identifier. Yes, the app needs to be fixed to set it up correctly, but the info is not in any way, shape or form a part of the Medallion.

11 hours ago, MaineCruiser243 said:

Interesting about them phasing out cruise cards. On our trip in February on the Caribbean Princess it seems every time I bought a drink they would at my card and write down the number to use for charging it. I wonder how that is going to work in the brave new medallion world.

Don't know how it will work, but how it is supposed to work is that the people taking drink orders are supposed to have a digital device that can read your Medallion. The reality so far reported has been that they borrow your medallion to take it to a place they can scan the Medallion.

You do not need to use a smart phone on the ship to use the medallion.  The medallion works by itself after it's set up before boarding.  I turned off my smart phone and put it in the safe.  Easier check in, on and off the ship, you can locate your cabinmates on the ship by putting your medallion up to the ship's diagram by the elevators, etc.  It is great!  Enjoy.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 1:40 PM, WisCruiser2 said:

Rick has a "dumbphone" and was able to use his Medallion just fine on our recent Regal cruise to open our door, get on/off the ship, and purchase drinks, etc. We didn't use our cards at all. You can even find your "shipmate/s" if need be on the screens by the elevators. I think people are stressing about this more than they need to.

How do you track your shipmate? My mother in law won't have a smartphone and we worry she might get lost. No dementia but she has only been on one cruise and doesn't speak English well. We are on Royal Princess Mexican Riviera on 4/13. Supposed to be first sailing on that ship with Medallion.