Irish holidays

cirpi

20 hours ago, cirpi said:

Our ship arrives in Dublin on Monday, May 6, a holiday. Will that mean that most businesses will be closed?

What 'Businesses' are you talking about.  As mentioned above, banks, post offices, courts and most other businesses will be closed. 

Retail outlets will mostly be open, though perhaps opening later than usual. Shopping Centers will be open as normal.  Guinness Store House will be open, Trinity College (Books of Kells will be open), Ho-Ho buses will run. Regular trains, and buses will run to a Sunday (reduced) schedule.

The pubs will be open!

Golf courses will be open and busy!

10 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes some clothing stores will probably be closed, but most will be open.

Would you care to specify which stores interest you and I can find out if they will be open or not?

Not on this topic, but did not find one that fits my question. VMax1700, could you make suggestions to get from Cobh to Killarney ? I want to visit HUSSEY'S Tavern. I looked at train vs bus, how about a private car for two or four? We are on Reflection, Tuesday May 14  from 10am till 19:00 ..... Thank you

12 hours ago, simba said:

Not on this topic, but did not find one that fits my question. VMax1700, could you make suggestions to get from Cobh to Killarney ? I want to visit HUSSEY'S Tavern. I looked at train vs bus, how about a private car for two or four? We are on Reflection, Tuesday May 14  from 10am till 19:00 ..... Thank you

Train is not practical as it will take at least two and a half hours each way.  Even if you were first off the ship and into the railway station in Cobh to catch the 10.30 train to Cork, it is going to be after 1 pm by the time you arrive in Killarney (Killarney station is a good 15/20 minute walk to High Street and Husseys Bar).  To make the 7pm sailaway you would need to catch the 3.39pm train from Killarney to get you back to Cobh.  The Cork to Cobh element of this will be in the middle of commuter rush hour!

Bus is not going to be much quicker as you will still have the Cobh to Cork and Cork to Cobh element by train plus you will have to walk from the train station in Cork to the Bus station (15/20 minutes) plus time to purchase bus tickets.

Would you consider renting a car? https://www.greatislandcarrentals.com/ offer delivery to Cobh cruise port.

You would still need to allow 2 hours each way for the drive to Killarney.

Edited by VMax1700

On 3/7/2019 at 11:26 AM, VMax1700 said:

Yes some clothing stores will probably be closed, but most will be open.

Would you care to specify which stores interest you and I can find out if they will be open or not?

Yes, please check. I am especially interested in buying a Donegal tweed jacket to replace one given to me almost 50 years ago.

On 3/9/2019 at 3:42 PM, cirpi said:

Yes, please check. I am especially interested in buying a Donegal tweed jacket to replace one given to me almost 50 years ago.

confirmed that Magee 1866 will be open in two locations on Monday 6th May.  At their flagship store in South Anne Street from 12 noon to 6 pm and at their store in Arnotts Department Store, Henry Street from 11 am to 7 pm.

here is a link to their website 1866480314_Mageechat.thumb.JPG.670d3ccd0da0bdc86483d1539572f5c1.JPG