Club Orange is Excellent

NanaBnana

We are currently on the Nieuw Statendam in a Neptune Suite and have had dinner and breakfast in Club Orange.  It was 75% filled for breakfast and 50% for dinner.  Our meals were cooked in the open kitchen by Chef Nella.  Both meals were perfect!  There is one dedicated wine steward, one dining captain and several servers that take efficient and excellent care of all the diners in a team fashion.  Jazz music playing for both meals was nice; the chairs are comfortable and spacious; tablecloths for dinner only.  I like the space and the less hectic pace of the dining room.  My only issue is the lighting could be softer especially in the evening.  Overall it feels modern, personal and fresh.  I am glad that Club Orange is available to suite passengers.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thank you for your report.

From what I have seen those chairs look like they belong in a cafeteria.  No support for someone like me who has severe back issues.

Also, we are not jazz music fans and would not care for that music.

JMO

On the K, the chairs were comfortable and I think they would be OK for someone with back problems. The high chairs were not comfortable for me. Very long seat, so I couldn't get far enough back to have my back properly supported. I tried one and my back said NO WAY, and I asked to move to a normal-height table and chair, where I was fine.

We were on the Nieuw Statendam last week in a Neptune Suite.  We LOVED Club Orange. We ate there for breakfast twice and dinner four times. I am working on posting an extensive review right now.  Enjoy the rest of your trip.

The music is recorded; live music just footsteps away.

It is included with Neptune Suite and Pinnacle Suite.

While the chairs are very comfortable; there is minimal lumbar support if you need that for your comfort.

We noticed 6 vent hoods that could convert the space into a Japanese steakhouse.  Asked about that; got quizzical looks from the crew so not sure why those are there.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Live music or recorded?  When I was on the NS, I did not see any musicians nor hear any music coming from the venue when I walked past.

Same here, but my cruise was over Christmas week.  They may have added the music later.

Glad suite passengers are enjoying this extra perk.  It seems to be catching on.  On our cruise, the CO restaurant was basically deserted, regardless of the time. 

Just got back from 11 days on the Koningsdam. The Club Orange looked underutilized. We were in a "Vista" suite, thus did not qualify for using it. Sour grapes, perhaps, but I didn't feel that we were missing out on much.

I have to wonder about the choice of the name Club "Orange." If I were Irish, I might take it as an ethnic affront.

I'm in the process of writing a review of last weeks cruise on NS.  We dined in every single restaurant but Club Orange.  Honestly it had zero appeal.  It looks like a cafeteria and the chairs leftover from the Lido of a former HAL ship.  Four tables even have exhaust fans over them from when this was planned as an interactive demonstration kitchen.   I'm glad the service and cuisine were excellent, but the atmosphere is severely lacking for an upscale dining venue.  Sel de Mer on the other hand hit all the key points for us.  Loved it.  

Edited by eroller

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Orange refers to the Netherlands' Royal Family.  Called the House of Orange, if I recall correctly.

Yes, but that's precisely the reference to the Battle of the Boyne (subjugation of the Irish at the hands of troops loyal to the English king, William of Orange) that continues to stir up sectarian resentments in Ireland, particularly among the Catholics of Northern Ireland.

I'm just saying that from a marketing perspective, it's an unfortunate choice on HAL's part.

4 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

Yes, but that's precisely the reference to the Battle of the Boyne (subjugation of the Irish at the hands of troops loyal to the English king, William of Orange) that continues to stir up sectarian resentments in Ireland, particularly among the Catholics of Northern Ireland.

I'm just saying that from a marketing perspective, it's an unfortunate choice on HAL's part.

That was 1690. Time for bygones to be Boynegones. Or else watch out for the triggering OJ in the Lido too.  :classic_dry:

I think Britain and the US worked out their differences since our little troubles too.  (But having visited both ROI and Northern Ireland, I  could tell there were still a lot of feelings simmering - many not good. )

• Like 3

HAL has said that Club Orange will be part of the MDR on the rest of the fleet.  So much for those of us that don't care for MDR.  Also will likely increase wait times for anytime dining . Those tables have to be taken away from fixed or anytime dining.

They are copying the Princess lead with Princess Club Class. Next will be all except Lido additional charge ala P&O Australia.  Statendam and Ryndam MDR was converted to 4 restaurants-  MDR atrium was removed

Edited by frankc98376

7 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Glad suite passengers are enjoying this extra perk. 

I certainly wouldn't consider taking away the Neptune Suite exclusive breakfast in the Pinnacle and replacing it with a down-graded non-exclusive breakfast in CO an "extra" perk. Not even close! You're joking, right?

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Feb. club orange was 25% to 50% full.Service they tried but seem to be VERY CONFUSED.It was free for us but if I had paid  50dollars P.P I would have wanted my money back

3 hours ago, twodjs said:

I certainly wouldn't consider taking away the Neptune Suite exclusive breakfast in the Pinnacle and replacing it with a down-graded non-exclusive breakfast in CO an "extra" perk. Not even close! You're joking, right?

Agree

4 hours ago, twodjs said:

Agree -- I don't consider Club Orange a perk for the Neptune Suites and the Pinnacle Suites.

We like the quiet of the Pinnacle Grill.

And on ships where they will be using the main dining room for breakfast for what HAL considers Club Orange is no special treat.  Several times on the Amsterdam we were seated on the second level of the dining room for breakfast instead of in the Pinnacle Grill.  

14 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Same here, but my cruise was over Christmas week.  They may have added the music later.

Glad suite passengers are enjoying this extra perk.  It seems to be catching on.  On our cruise, the CO restaurant was basically deserted, regardless of the time. 

This is really not an extra perk.  Only the NS passengers get it free, and it replaced the perk of breakfast in the Pinnacle.  I am somewhat surprised that non-NS passengers feel that $100 day for the privilege of dining separately from the rest  of the ship and priority tendering is worth it.  A little bit of elitism?