Club Orange is Excellent

NanaBnana

On 3/5/2019 at 7:08 PM, kazu said:

Happy if people like it but I don’t think it matches the ambiance of most Pinnacle Grills.  

The photos posted of CO (at other topics) look like a cafeteria, to me.  An upscale private Lido.  Zero ambiance, IMHO.  Lido has a view.  Does CO?

Lunch at Pinnacle Grill is not as stressful as wandering the Lido at lunch, looking for a table with seats available while my lunch is getting cold in my hands.   Some days we're in the mood for the hunt (adventure) of Lido, and most days we're not.  PG is calm and restful. And quiet because the floor is carpeted.  

HAL, are you reading these comments?

We have stayed in Neptune suites many times and are currently in a suite on Celebrity for the first time.  For Celebrity suite guests you have a butler, a private lounge that includes all alcohol, a private dining room, and on “chic” nights a private reserved area for the shows so you don’t have to be there 40 minutes ahead of time to get a seat.  These are just a few of the perks.  Hands down it beats the Neptune suites in my opinion.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We have stayed in Neptune suites many times and are currently in a suite on Celebrity for the first time.  For Celebrity suite guests you have a butler, a private lounge that includes all alcohol, a private dining room, and on “chic” nights a private reserved area for the shows so you don’t have to be there 40 minutes ahead of time to get a seat.  These are just a few of the perks.  Hands down it beats the Neptune suites in my opinion.  

I agree, especially since those benefits are included even for the lowest priced Sky Suites on Celebrity, whereas only the Neptune & Pinnacle Suites on HAL have access to the Neptune Lounge (self service honor bar) and now the use of Club Orange. That said, Celebrity Sky Suite prices have shot up into the stratosphere in the past year or two.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I agree, especially since those benefits are included even for the lowest priced Sky Suites on Celebrity, whereas only the Neptune & Pinnacle Suites on HAL have access to the Neptune Lounge (self service honor bar) and now the use of Club Orange. That said, Celebrity Sky Suite prices have shot up into the stratosphere in the past year or two.

I have no problem with higher fares if I get value from the fare.  HAL cut back on number of NS on hte new ships by a lot I'm sure because they were "giving them away" with up-sells. Maybe if they looked at what the competition is offering and step it up they could sell them for full fare.  I've looked at several MSC cruises that were interesting and the Yacht Club was sold out on all of them close to a year in advance.

We paid $2699 pp for a NS in Alaska this May. After final payment it dropped to $1600 pp.  That's $2000 less. Sure we got a $700 SBP for 2 - wow. Pretty common knowledge after final payment  not much they will do. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, frankc98376 said:

I have no problem with higher fares if I get value from the fare.  HAL cut back on number of NS on hte new ships by a lot I'm sure because they were "giving them away" with up-sells. Maybe if they looked at what the competition is offering and step it up they could sell them for full fare.  I've looked at several MSC cruises that were interesting and the Yacht Club was sold out on all of them close to a year in advance.

We paid $2699 pp for a NS in Alaska this May. After final payment it dropped to $1600 pp.  That's $2000 less. Sure we got a $700 SBP for 2 - wow. Pretty common knowledge after final payment  not much they will do. 

I think HAL needs to get out of the competition selling their Neptune Suites - they are nice pieces of real estate so they should come with an extra cost. But maybe that is about all they should be offering.

Would like to know what their bottom line actually generates when so many are discounted or even complimentary. I would be very happy to simply pay for the extra real estate and not bother one bit with any included extras. But at twice the size of a verandah suite, they would have to clock in at least twice the verandah price. 

Well, for what it’s worth, the Neptunes are sold out on our upcoming cruise.

Upsells are certainly cheaper but not giveaways on this ship, for sure.

Perhaps if HAL offered more amenities as canadianbear has pointed out on their Celebrity cruise people would be more willing to pay full price?

Just now, kazu said:

Perhaps if HAL offered more amenities as canadianbear has pointed out on their Celebrity cruise people would be more willing to pay full price?

Any your upcoming cruise in on one of the final voyages of the Prinsendam?

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

I think HAL needs to get out of the competition selling their Neptune Suites - they are nice pieces of real estate so they should come with an extra cost. But maybe that is about all they should be offering.

I think HAL needs to up it's game on suites.  I liked the suggestion to convert Tamarind into a suites-only lounge and dining facility.  

• Like 1

That's what HAL should have done to the space now occupied by CO. But no, they give a reataurant to CO, close Pinnacle and downgrade the Suite perk by inviting us to join CO for breakfast. I don't think taking Tamarind (the most consistently highly rated specialty reataurant across HAL's fleet) out the mix is the way to go. Their specialty restaurant options are already really limited. With HAL's recent decisions, and their reluctance to at least raise the value of the suite offering to that of the competition, do they even care about suites? It would be nice to gather a group of Suite clients and higher star Mariners together with HAL's management in Seattle to better understand what the future holds. Sure would stop a lot of speculation on this board. I'm in.

21 minutes ago, twodjs said:

That's what HAL should have done to the space now occupied by CO. But no, they give a reataurant to CO, close Pinnacle and downgrade the Suite perk by inviting us to join CO for breakfast. I don't think taking Tamarind (the most consistently highly rated specialty reataurant across HAL's fleet) out the mix is the way to go. Their specialty restaurant options are already really limited. With HAL's recent decisions, and their reluctance to at least raise the value of the suite offering to that of the competition, do they even care about suites? It would be nice to gather a group of Suite clients and higher star Mariners together with HAL's management in Seattle to better understand what the future holds. Sure would stop a lot of speculation on this board. I'm in.

Agree Tamarind was done right the first time and should not be changed. Agree Seattle should indeed gather a group of loyal HAL suite patrons and, 4 & 5* mariners of ALL ages and demographics for a focus group rather than the speculation of only a few saying the same thing over and over again on CC. No matter how many times the same people (myself included) post the same opinion it changes no-ones personal opinion of what they individually enjoy or utilize on a cruise. I'm in too!     

14 minutes ago, Crusinsusan2 said:

gree Tamarind was done right the first time and should not be changed. Agree Seattle should indeed gather a group of loyal HAL suite patrons and, 4 & 5* mariners of ALL ages and demographics for a focus group rather than the speculation of only a few saying the same thing over and over again on CC

Agree that the Tamarind concept ought not to be tampered.  A "focus group" formed to provide Seattle HQ  as to what we CC's posters think--of whatever cruise history--is an interesting suggestion.  It is believed that HAL has "someone/s" who monitor CC.  If so, it would be that person(s) responsibility to share with the executives --or whomever they report--what they learn from our comments--many of which are heartfelt because of the HAL cruise experience(s) which we treasure in our memory.  

My humble opinion:  We may well be that focus group!  No need for another.  

6 hours ago, kazu said:

There are 2 left on my cruise in June, but our September 2020 cruise they are all sold out. I was kinda disappointed on how little they offer for their suite perks. But when we priced out our June cruise on HAL and NCL, NCL's suite was way more expensive. 

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

With HAL's recent decisions, and their reluctance to at least raise the value of the suite offering to that of the competition, do they even care about suites?

I'm hoping HAL decides NOT to chase the suite market. Let other lines do that.

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

It would be nice to gather a group of Suite clients and higher star Mariners together with HAL's management in Seattle to better understand what the future holds. Sure would stop a lot of speculation on this board. I'm in.

Or a group of everyone -- not just suite passengers. Let's hear from HAL's entire passenger base. I've read here that HAL's newer ships have fewer suites, even though they are larger. Does it mean something?  Who knows....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Agree that the Tamarind concept ought not to be tampered.  A "focus group" formed to provide Seattle HQ  as to what we CC's posters think--of whatever cruise history--is an interesting suggestion.  It is believed that HAL has "someone/s" who monitor CC.  If so, it would be that person(s) responsibility to share with the executives --or whomever they report--what they learn from our comments--many of which are heartfelt because of the HAL cruise experience(s) which we treasure in our memory.  

My humble opinion:  We may well be that focus group!  No need for another.  

I appreciate your opinion but CC Hal loyalists (again myself included along with Celebrity) should not be the only demographic polled for policy. There are many thousands of Hal cruisers that do not participate on CC, even know about it, or choose not to once realizing that if they don't agree with the most long term outspoken they will be bashed and simply shut down and turn to Facebook/Instagram or other outlets. My guess is that many also ignore the during and post cruise surveys. I too look back on my childhood with HAL and the treasured memories and all the perks and splendor of a bygone era. I also realize my interests, pallet, electronics and what I choose to spend the extra dollars on have changed dramatically as well.

To quote my grandmother: There is an **s for every seat. Just find the one your comfortable in 🙂   

Also a note to self tonight: Never get to a point in life when your that person in the room kicking and screaming saying "Ewww, that's new. I don't like that" before you you ever tried it. It actually might be good! Change is on way. Like it or lump it. Truly appreciate this board and all of you. Something to be learned always.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2019 at 7:58 PM, eroller said:

I'm in the process of writing a review of last weeks cruise on NS.  We dined in every single restaurant but Club Orange.  Honestly it had zero appeal.  It looks like a cafeteria and the chairs leftover from the Lido of a former HAL ship.  Four tables even have exhaust fans over them from when this was planned as an interactive demonstration kitchen.   I'm glad the service and cuisine were excellent, but the atmosphere is severely lacking for an upscale dining venue.  Sel de Mer on the other hand hit all the key points for us.  Loved it.  

Hi Ernie

I'm anxious to read your review of the "Nieuw Statendam" as I'm sailing on "Koningsdam" April 29!

44 minutes ago, crossingfan said:

Hi Ernie

I'm anxious to read your review of the "Nieuw Statendam" as I'm sailing on "Koningsdam" April 29!

I've been so busy plus another cruise right after NS that I haven't had time.  I'm gonna try to and post it today.  It's the pics that are really time consuming.  I have like 600 and I have to go through them and upload them.  

9 minutes ago, eroller said:

I've been so busy plus another cruise right after NS that I haven't had time.  I'm gonna try to and post it today.  It's the pics that are really time consuming.  I have like 600 and I have to go through them and upload them.  

Thank you so much, looking forward to seeing photos as well!  Rick

On 3/4/2019 at 7:53 PM, Petronillus said:

Just got back from 11 days on the Koningsdam. The Club Orange looked underutilized. We were in a "Vista" suite, thus did not qualify for using it. Sour grapes, perhaps, but I didn't feel that we were missing out on much.

I have to wonder about the choice of the name Club "Orange." If I were Irish, I might take it as an ethnic affront.

"Club Orange" is a nod to their Dutch heritage and has nothing to do with the Irish.  It was my understanding that Club Orange is available to anyone willing to purchase the per day fee. . . . . . friends just came back and loved it, and they were in an inside cabin. . . .

Edited by OhioLair

I give HAL credit for trying with Club Orange as I agree with the concept...

...but from the pictures I've seen on CC it does not look very appealing.    

It just looks rinky-dinky and I can't believe HAL is passing this along as a suite perk or an add-on for other guests.

18 hours ago, OhioLair said:

"Club Orange" is a nod to their Dutch heritage and has nothing to do with the Irish.  It was my understanding that Club Orange is available to anyone willing to purchase the per day fee. . . . . . friends just came back and loved it, and they were in an inside cabin. . . .

OhioLair has the correct interpretation.  It goes back to William of Orange.  Orange is a big color in the Netherlands.

Would like to try Club Orange firsthand. 

Roz

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:45 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I'm hoping HAL decides NOT to chase the suite market. Let other lines do that.

Or a group of everyone -- not just suite passengers. Let's hear from HAL's entire passenger base. I've read here that HAL's newer ships have fewer suites, even though they are larger. Does it mean something?  Who knows....

Agree....yesterday's inside cabin passenger may be a future suite passenger. 

Roz

We were on the 3/17-3/27 Koningsdam sailing in a NS. Club Orange was in our opinion wonderful and a perfect fit for us. Breakfasts were cooked to order in front of you. Pastries served warm and crisp. Mimosa's and cappuccino's overflowing. Service by the same team that knew your name on day 1 was excellent. Dinner's were equally impressive. The nightly chef's special created and prepared in Club Orange were some of the best meals we have experienced on any ship in any venue. Again service team and chef off the charts. Meals timed around your pace. Want a lingering meal? You have it. Have to be somewhere? You have that too. We found the chairs, room, lighting and all over feel very comfortable.  I'm not sure how this could be implemented on other ships in the main dining room without a designated space or kitchen for it but for us it was a overall great intimate experience if not the highlight of our dining this trip. Would seriously consider CO now after experiencing it even if booking a lower category cabin. We liked it that much.       

We always book a NS have dinner exclusively in PG so breakfast in PG is the only piece I'd miss- we really aren't fond of the noise and crowds in the MDR or Lido.  Evidently on the older ships CO will be a part of the MDR.  I can't imagine paying $100 per day to have dinner and breakfast in the MDR even if there was a dinner special just for CO. 

IMO CO will end up being a lot like the Cabanas- another revenue source for HAL.  Wouldn't surprise me to see NS and PS breakfast back in the PG and a special area of the MDR for those that pay for CO.

Princess has done the same thing with their Club Class- with the exception it includes some of the mini suites.  I don't believe that they are selling access.