Bayonne/NYC post cruise options

ctrinco

Cruising out of Bayonne for the first time at the end of the month.  Our flight out of EWR isn't until 5pm, so we have some time to kill.  I've done a fair amount of digging on luggage storage/private tours/cruise tour options and I'm coming up empty handed in terms of "good" options.  Am I missing something?  Help!

45 minutes ago, ctrinco said:

Cruising out of Bayonne for the first time at the end of the month.  Our flight out of EWR isn't until 5pm, so we have some time to kill.  I've done a fair amount of digging on luggage storage/private tours/cruise tour options and I'm coming up empty handed in terms of "good" options.  Am I missing something?  Help!

I don’t think you’re missing anything.  There really aren’t many good options.  You take a post cruise tour with RCL or you get yourselves to Manhattan, pay to store luggage at Schwartz Travel or similar place, and get yourselves back to EWR by 3-3:30 by Car Service, train or airport bus.  It’s an expensive day for the actual time you will spend in NYC.

The availability of luggage storage is the killer. You can hang out in Jersey Gardens Mall and tag team watching the luggage.

Honestly, there is not much. Assuming you're on Anthem; I'd choose one of Royal's post-cruise options that take you somewhere then to the airport.  There is not much at all to do.

The only reason to go to Jersey Gardens is to avoid sales tax on clothes.  We don't pay it here in NJ, so it's a bonus to those who live in states that do.  There is not enough time to go to NYC.  The only thing that maybe you could do, but it would take some planning and trying to find something to do with your luggage, is to go to Liberty Science Center if you have kids with you.

Ok, I've got the same question but hoping for different answer.

Our Cruise ENDS there, in Bayonne....May 17th, Friday
Hotel recommendations for one night?
If possible, is it worth seeing … the Statue of Liberty?

So my thought to avoid the luggage issue; Book a Hotel centrally located;
Taxi From Port to Hotel.
Drop luggage off (Assume too early, room not ready)
Taxi to go see Statue of Liberty?
   911 Memorial, is it nearby too, in the same region??
   Anything else?
End back at hotel, dinner...
Then the next day Taxi to Airport..... EWR or LGA or any better ideas?

Kirk

This is where I ended up for my options - thought I would share in case it is helpful to someone else.  We planned a day trip into NYC the day before the cruise after we check into our hotel and drop luggage, so we aren't planning to go back post cruise.

Post cruise airport transportation provided with our pre-cruise Stay and Cruise package.  Shuttle will pick us up from port and can take us to the airport or back to the hotel.

• Option 1: Shuttle to the airport and hang out there all day (approx. 7 hrs)
  • Option 2: Shuttle to the airport, check in luggage and uber/taxi to Jersey Mills Outlet mall (approx. 5 min) – Taxi ride is ~$15 each way ($30) or bus shuttle is $9 pp round trip ($36).  We will still have to manage carry-on bags.  Mall offers SmarteCart rentals for $7 so we could push it around instead of carry it.
  • Option 3: Shuttle to hotel, hold luggage at hotel.  Pay $25 per room for a round trip transport to mall and back to hotel.  Then shuttle to airport in the afternoon.
  • Option 4: Purchase post-cruise excursion which will hold luggage and provide transport to airport - $69 pp x 4 ($276)

I think we are going to end up doing option 2. 

3 hours ago, Crusin' till I'm Dead said:

Ok, I've got the same question but hoping for different answer.

Our Cruise ENDS there, in Bayonne....May 17th, Friday
Hotel recommendations for one night?
If possible, is it worth seeing … the Statue of Liberty?

So my thought to avoid the luggage issue; Book a Hotel centrally located;
Taxi From Port to Hotel.
Drop luggage off (Assume too early, room not ready)
Taxi to go see Statue of Liberty?
   911 Memorial, is it nearby too, in the same region??
   Anything else?
End back at hotel, dinner...
Then the next day Taxi to Airport..... EWR or LGA or any better ideas?

Kirk

Exact date you need a hotel?  Number of people?  Hotel budget?

911  memorial and SOL ferry are in lower Manhattan.  There is also an SOL ferry from Jersey City NJ to the SOL.  Once you’re on Liberty Island you can return to either NY or NJ on the ferry.

Your hotel budget is going to affect your decisions.  Price wise it is likely to be more cost effective to stay in NJ and fly home from EWR, but maybe not depending on your date.

3 hours ago, ctrinco said:

This is where I ended up for my options - thought I would share in case it is helpful to someone else.  We planned a day trip into NYC the day before the cruise after we check into our hotel and drop luggage, so we aren't planning to go back post cruise.

Post cruise airport transportation provided with our pre-cruise Stay and Cruise package.  Shuttle will pick us up from port and can take us to the airport or back to the hotel.

• Option 2: Shuttle to the airport, check in luggage and uber/taxi to Jersey Mills Outlet mall (approx. 5 min) – Taxi ride is ~$15 each way ($30) or bus shuttle is $9 pp round trip ($36).  We will still have to manage carry-on bags.  Mall offers SmarteCart rentals for $7 so we could push it around instead of carry it.
  • Option 3: Shuttle to hotel, hold luggage at hotel.  Pay $25 per room for a round trip transport to mall and back to hotel.  Then shuttle to airport in the afternoon.
  • Option 4: Purchase post-cruise excursion which will hold luggage and provide transport to airport - $69 pp x 4 ($276)

Jmo but I wouldn't want to deal with going thru check in at EWR just to leave for a mall. What’s at the mall you can’t do in the terminal at EWR? If it’s to waste time take the post cruise excursion. That excursion will take you to 9/11 Memorial. The day you spend in NYC before your cruise you can spend it at Times Square and Central Park and wherever else. Even shopping at unique shops. 

4 hours ago, ctrinco said:

Check with your airline about how early you can check your bags.  Which airline are you flying?

We are flying American and they said we could check same day fights starting at 3:30 am.  Traveling with two teenagers, so the mall is really for them.

i was under the impression that the 9/11 park was walkable from the port. Was hoping to do that when we board the ship? Is that not possible?

Just my 2 cents, on our cruise from Bayonne 3 years ago, post cruise - I ended up using LuggageForward to ship our bags home, without ever checking them in with the airline. Saved us time at the airport plus we didn't have to carry them around the whole time. They meet you at the terminal after you are done with customs, take your bags, and deliver them to your door, back home. I believe they even had options of how soon they'd deliver them - 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. This was NOT a cheap option though 😞

23 hours ago, 138east said:

The 911 Memorial is right by the bow of the ship.

138east, Good friend said you could help me with info about ground transportation.  We are staying near cape liberty and arriving a few days early to see nyc before cruise on Saturday.  What is best way to get into nyc from jersey city?  We are staying at Hyatt on Hudson.  I sure appreciate any suggestions.  😀

7 hours ago, Lmil said:

138east, Good friend said you could help me with info about ground transportation.  We are staying near cape liberty and arriving a few days early to see nyc before cruise on Saturday.  What is best way to get into nyc from jersey city?  We are staying at Hyatt on Hudson.  I sure appreciate any suggestions.  😀

What exact dates would you be traveling into NYC from the Hyatt?  Where are you going in NYC?

I am posting the links to the PATH map and NYC subway map so you can familiarize yourself with them.  The Hyatt is right at the Exchange Place PATH station which is only a 3 minute ride to World Trade where you can connect to many NYC subway lines.  However, if you’re going to the 33rd & 6th area, you might want to ride one stop towards Newark to Grove St and transfer to the 33rd St PATH train or ride one stop towards Hoboken to Newport and transfer to the 33rd St PATH train.  It all depends on your destination in NYC.

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

5 hours ago, Lmil said:

Thank you very much.....headed there may 23.  Planning to go to 911 memorial, 

appreciate the links. 

Then you’re all set.  The 911 Memorial is right at the World Trade Center.  Super quick PATH ride from the Hyatt for $2.75/pp.