One way cruise from Norway/Sweden to St Petersburg

Does anyone know any cruise lines that offer a one-way cruise from Norway or Sweden to St Petersburg? (or even the reverse, as long as it's not a return trip).

I was hoping for around a 7 day cruise - one way.

I've been googling and searching these boards and can't find anything. The nearest thing I've found is a Tallink cruise from Stockholm to Tallinn (or vice versa) but it's more of a one day ferry trip between two ports than the week long cruise I am looking for.

40 minutes ago, anton16 said:

Does anyone know any cruise lines that offer a one-way cruise from Norway or Sweden to St Petersburg? (or even the reverse, as long as it's not a return trip).

I was hoping for around a 7 day cruise - one way.

I've been googling and searching these boards and can't find anything. The nearest thing I've found is a Tallink cruise from Stockholm to Tallinn (or vice versa) but it's more of a one day ferry trip between two ports than the week long cruise I am looking for.

I know of no cruises that fit your criteria. I am aware of the Princess Anastasia ferry from Helsinki to St. Petersburg - https://stpeterline.com/-/the-schedule-of-princess-anastasia-ferry-for-2019 but it is certainly not a cruise ship experience.

No cruise line - only ferry lines !

St Petersburg ferry port in Russia is served by a number of ferry routes from Helsinki, Tallinn & Stockholm
Sailing durations range from 13 hours from Helsinki to 40 hours from Stockholm.

Very unlikely. Passengers embarking or departing in St. Petersburg would need a full Russian visa (as is required for river cruise ships) which creates a lot of additional complication.

As an aside, there was a story on the river cruising board in the last year or so of someone who was turned away at the airport flying to Russia because he didn't have a visa. The trip was a complete loss to him. Insurance covers if your visa is delayed, but not if you don't apply for one.

Hmm well we were going to get a Russian visa, because we want to follow the cruise with a trans-siberian railway trip from St Petersburg to Beijing.

What about a proper cruise for around 7 days from Norway to somewhere else like Stockholm or Tallinn?  (as close to Russia as possible).  And then a quick ferry trip from there to St Petersburg?

2 hours ago, anton16 said:

Hmm well we were going to get a Russian visa, because we want to follow the cruise with a trans-siberian railway trip from St Petersburg to Beijing.

What about a proper cruise for around 7 days from Norway to somewhere else like Stockholm or Tallinn?  (as close to Russia as possible).  And then a quick ferry trip from there to St Petersburg?

Good luck - most Baltic cruises include St. Petersburg in their itineraries and do not end in Stockholm or Tallinn. You might find a Norwegian Fjord cruise that ends in Sweden. You can check some sites that offer bookings through multiple cruise lines or, perhaps, contact a travel agent.

Why not fly into St. Petersburg? That would make the most sense in your case and you could add on whatever cruise you desire pre or post Russia (including adding a China river cruise since you will be ending in Beijing).

Edited by dogs4fun

On 3/6/2019 at 2:54 PM, gnome12 said:

Insurance covers if your visa is delayed, but not if you don't apply for one.

Not usually. We have been in this very situation, when a required visa took much longer than the consulate's estimate. Since it was down to the wire (<1 week before departure), we called our travel insurance provider, and they informed us that this situation was not covered. Our insurance would have kicked in if we'd received the visa and then immediately lost it on the way home, but until we actually had the document, it wasn't covered. (Lucky for us, the consulate was able to track down the bottleneck and get the visa to us just two days before we left!)

On 3/6/2019 at 3:11 PM, anton16 said:

What about a proper cruise for around 7 days from Norway to somewhere else like Stockholm or Tallinn?

There are actually very few cruises that depart from Norway. Viking has started offering several trips out of Bergen, but most of them are 14 nights. The other cruiselines typically use other European ports for embarkation/disembarkation.

What kind of cruise are you interested in? Norwegian fjords? Baltic capitals? 

I would suggest looking at the cruise portion and the trans-Siberian separately. One-way flights to Russia from elsewhere in Europe are relatively inexpensive, and there are direct flights from some of the embarkation port cities like Stockholm, Amsterdam, London, etc.

Last year we took the overnight ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki and spent several days in Helsinki.  We then took the train to St. Petersburg, did several days of sightseeing in St. Petersburg and then got on the train to Moscow.  Each train ride was a high speed train and took about 4 hours.  It was not a cruise, but the train trips were interesting.   Except for the St. Peters Line ferry between St. Petersburg and Helsinki, I do not think any cruises start or end in St. Petersburg.  If you want to start in Norway, there is frequent daily high speed train service between Oslo and Stockholm.