S.A.L.T. Silver Moon New Dining Concept

Perfectionistcruiser

S.A.L.T. is an acronym for Sea and Land Taste, according to a recently received eshot from the M D of S S in London.

Designed in collaboration with Adam Sachs a multi award winning journalist the new S.A.L.T. Program will be tailored according to where the Ships are sailing and will incorporate both ship based and shoreside enrichments including market trips, winery visits, and dining experiences in regional restaurants and bars.

A dedicated S.A.L.T. Lab to explore culinary cultures from around the world  and a new S.A.L.T. Restaurant will serve regional cuisine that will adapt according to where you are sailing.

Adam Sachs is the Director of Silversea’s Sea and Land Taste project.

There is no mention of this concept rolling out to other ships in the eshot I have received 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perfectionistcruiser said:

a new S.A.L.T. Restaurant will serve regional cuisine that will adapt according to where you are sailing.

This is entirely consistent with the report I heard from a usually reliable informant that Indochine on Muse/Spirit will be converted into such an outlet.  It would make sense to try out the concept on a new ship before rolling it out to other ships.

Perfectionist Cruiser,

What ship does your eshot reference?  Is this new concept replacing one of the existing dining venues or will it be an incremental restaurant possibly taking some of the space out of the cavernous Dolce Vita bar?

Based on Observer's comment, I assume it is the new Moon.

42 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Perfectionist Cruiser,

What ship does your eshot reference?  Is this new concept replacing one of the existing dining venues or will it be an incremental restaurant possibly taking some of the space out of the cavernous Dolce Vita bar?

Based on Observer's comment, I assume it is the new Moon.

Muse and Spirit are unchanged - and it is to replace Indochine.

I was aware of this change afoot - but was asked not to mention until it was finalised. I guess the cat is out of the bag now!

I know many are likely pleased about this change, but personally it means I wont be choosing the Moon now and I'm glad I held off on a booking I'd mentioned previously until an announcement made on that restaurant known as "dining". Luckily (for now) Indochine remains on the Muse and Spirit.

Edited by les37b

Stumblefoot, it's in the title of the thread.

Les, I knew that you'd be disappointed. You'll have to choose the Moon for an India/Asia voyage! It is possible of course that some of the Indochine dishes could be folded into the Atlantide menu...

Moot point for us; these ships are too big! 😉

35 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Les, I knew that you'd be disappointed. You'll have to choose the Moon for an India/Asia voyage! It is possible of course that some of the Indochine dishes could be folded into the Atlantide menu...

Muse did seem huge (compared to the cloud, wind and shadow), but I honestly was fine with it pretty quickly-and no problem with another booking. Indochine was the star of the show for me - so Muse or Spirit it'll have to be.Not sure I'd do another Asia one, but I love that idea! :classic_biggrin:

Anyway - as the "eshot" said - "More details on this exciting new concept will be announced in due course which I look forward to sharing with you."

Edited by les37b

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Ha!  Shows you I don't read titles too closely.  🙂

And, JP, you don't know what you're missing by passing on the Muse, Moon, Dawn, Spirit, etc.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

JP, you don't know what you're missing by passing on the Muse, Moon, Dawn, Spirit, etc.

It will happen some day. Chris and I were just talking about this SALT concept and she was intrigued by the variety of restaurants already available on the "big" ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

It will happen some day. Chris and I were just talking about this SALT concept and she was intrigued by the variety of restaurants already available on the "big" ships.

Come on the MOON  TA  with us -  you know you want  to  ...  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I think the Muse would be at her best  on a TA.

I’m trying hard to stay on the smaller ships. I am booked on two Wind cruises and one each on the Shadow and Whisper.  And will also be taking the Tokyo  to Vancouver crossing in May 2020..thanks to the encouragement from posters from this board. I so appreciate CC as I really do learn so much helpful information. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Well being a true lover of the Explorer I also thought the Muse was going to be too large.

So much so that after our Muse cruise we have booked on the Moon TA cruise in 2020.

• Like 2

I'm not a Silver Seas apologist, but having sailed twice on S Spirit (pre-stretch) and most recently on S Muse, my DW and I really like these ships.  Can't say I ever noticed they were too big - I would frequently go to the forward lounge and find no one there, sit alone and read a book in the library.  Most mornings I get up early and walk laps on the top deck, with very little company.  We really like the variety of restaurants.  If I was going to give any of them the heave ho, it would be the supper club one (Silver Note?) - nice concept, but not much about the food.  I recall when people were shocked, shocked! that they would do away with the big generic dining room in favor of more and varied dining venues.  We had some pretty good dinners in Indochine, and would miss that if it went away.  I definitely salute the idea of trying to incorporate local cuisine & produce, even if it is a token tip of the hat.  Seems a shame to be cruising up the Mississippi and not eat a hush puppy and some stewed collard greens, know what ah mean??  

• Like 3

As someone who has shunned salt ever since my father had congestive heart failure in the 1970's, I wish they would find a different acronym for this new adventure.  We love the idea of eating local food and exploring local markets.  In fact one of our big disappointments years ago was that we didn't have any local salmon in Alaska.

I LOVE this idea.  I suggested it to Seabourn after a cruise to Asia where we were visiting local fish markets during the day and eating the same tired menu at night.  Just got off the Spirit and never went to Indochine.  I would love to have a variety of other menu choices featuring local foods.  Isn't local food a really important part of travel that we often give up on cruise ships?

Edited by We4lv2trvl

Since one of my main criticisms of Silversea is their forcing the chefs to follow a single menu plan no matter where in the world the ship is sailing, I am very happy to hear this.  I love that on Regent, and even Oceania, we often enjoy eating local food. I particularly recall some delicious mussels in PEI, local lobster in main, and some great mushrooms in Finland.  Of course, I doubt I will ever sail on Muse or Moon--just too big for me, but never say never.

16 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I agree, salt is not without some negative connotations.  Herewith a few helpful suggestions, for benefit of the Silversea readers:

Seafood, Produce And Meat, All Locally Obtained - Tantalizing!

Very good!  Monty Python would be proud!

The comment about serving regional cuisine appeals to me, but the description of the MDR on the Shadow states... “Menus feature regional specialities unique to the voyage destination, for example, Roasted Chilean Sea Bass while cruising the Chilean fjords and Indian Chicken Korma en route to Mumbai”

5 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

The comment about serving regional cuisine appeals to me, but the description of the MDR on the Shadow states... “Menus feature regional specialities unique to the voyage destination, for example, Roasted Chilean Sea Bass while cruising the Chilean fjords and Indian Chicken Korma en route to Mumbai”

Mike, this was exactly my experience on the Shadow. Each night, the MDR menu began with a 4-course "Taste of Asia" section. Some nights I chose from that rather that the standard MDR fare; other nights, I dipped into the other Recommended area, or the every night fare.

The Thai, Vietnamese, and Chinese dishes in the Taste of Asia were quite good. For obvious reasons, they don't spice them as aggressively as you can find on land, but the flavors were good (if not quite bold) and the textures spot on. One highlight was the peanut sauce on the Gado Gado salad, which had a very nice ginger kick to it. I also loved the Lemongrass Beef, which was an option every night. 

SALT proper might be currently reserved only for the Moon, but we experienced a bit of a mini-SALT (Table Salt?) in the MDR on the Shadow. 

• Like 1