Silver Shadow cabin #637

Karen0127

Going on a January 2020 cruise on the Silver Shadow. My TA is holding #637 category V3 for us- according to the deck plan this is directly across fro the laundry. Will this be bothersome? Especially in the early morning? I cannot tell by the deck plan if it says "launderette" or "laundry". If it's  'launderette' what does that mean? TIA!

Laundrette is a self service laundry.  The Silversea ones have two washing machines and two or more tumble dryers as well as an iron and board.  I wouldn’t worry about any noise.  We have been opposite the laundrette in the past, with no problems.

We have been in 637 and its neighboring suites multiple times on the identical Whisper and will be in 637 again in less than two weeks.  Very convenient location and have never had a problem with noise from the laundry, stairs, or elevator.  Enjoy!

4 hours ago, 57 varieties said:

Laundrette is a self service laundry.  The Silversea ones have two washing machines and two or more tumble dryers as well as an iron and board.  I wouldn’t worry about any noise.  We have been opposite the laundrette in the past, with no problems.

3 hours ago, Wellseasoned said:

We have been in 637 and its neighboring suites multiple times on the identical Whisper and will be in 637 again in less than two weeks.  Very convenient location and have never had a problem with noise from the laundry, stairs, or elevator.  Enjoy!

Ditto!

I am currently on the 6th deck of the Shadow, and on our voyage the laundrette has been a site of nearly daily battles. The room itself is L-shaped, so much of the action happens farthest from the hallway. However, when there are altercations (and there are!), they can spill out into the hallway (and they do!). If possible, I would recommend moving a bit down the hall in one direction or another.

Obviously, much depends on the passengers with whom you share the voyage. Our laundrette has been in constant use, all day every day, the entire 2-week cruise. Every single time I walk by and peek in, it is in use ... often with people lodging complaints about their fellow passengers who either a) use all of the machines at once, b) use 3 dryers for 1 load of washing, c) break them somehow, rendering them out of service for the rest of the day,  4) leave their things in either the washer or dryer for hours after they are complete, or 5) take other's belongings out of the washer or dryer because they have been sitting there for hours after they are complete. 

It has been a bloodbath in there. 

I tried washing a few items early on in the voyage and found the whole dynamic so stressful that I opted to use OBC to pay for laundry for the remainder of the cruise.

Perhaps we just have a very strange passenger dynamic aboard Deck 6 on this voyage? The daily fracas in the laundry room has generally meant a few more people congregating in the hallway and stairwell. Just a few suites down in either direction would be a safer bet, in my opinion. I'm in 626, mercifully far from the ruckus. 

• Like 1

Ah... The joys of the days before free laundry. 

We also experienced the selfishness of the self-entitled on various SS voyages but were quite happy to assist the terminally thoughtless by removing their laundry from the washer or drier once the cycle was complete. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Unibok said:

Perhaps we just have a very strange passenger dynamic aboard Deck 6 on this voyage? The daily fracas in the laundry room has generally meant a few more people congregating in the hallway and stairwell. 

I've never seen anything to this extent - you really must have an unfortunate passenger bunch.

Most unusual.

However, I must admit that I tend to just rinse out my clothes in the cabin sink and hang them over the bath (since I only use the shower) because I'm too lazy to organize myself to set aside time to check for a free machine and then return exactly as the wash is done - wouldn't dream of leaving my wash in and inconveniencing others. Much less stressful.

My sister-in-law became a victim of one of these inconsiderate launderers. She had done her wash but each of the 3 driers was occupied yet all stopped. Not unreasonably she took the dried laundry out of one of the driers and put her own in. 

When she went back 40 minutes later her wet clothes were in a basket and the drier she used was full of someone else's washing. So she put her own still wet washing in one of the now free other driers. As she was doing this a woman came in and stopped the original drier and removed the clothes so s-i-l asked if she had removed the wet washing. 

The woman went berserk shouting that she had to use the drier, why was s-i-l hogging the drier, she wanted to use that one because she didn't like the other two (?), and other incoherent nonsense. It got really nasty. S-i-l reported the incident to th HD who noted the report and did nothing. Helpful. 

Chatting to others it transpired that this particular woman treated the laundry as her own fiefdom and had similarly spectacular confrontations with some other passengers. 

While this sort of self-entitled behaviour happens with things like reserving deck loungers, expecting special service and generally expecting the rest of the world to conform to their affectations, this was the first time we had seen someone flip. 

(On another cruise a couple would neatly place their books and pool tools on their favourite pool loungers and then clear off for hours. Another passenger rightly moved their things and took the loungers. 2 hours later Mr and Mrs entitled returned and a right old row broke out. The couple took such umbrage at their dedicated loungers being usurped that they left the ship at the next port and flew home. No great loss.) 

(Then there was the Swiss man with his trophy companion who insisted on telling the entire dining room how wealthy he was, all about his cars, complained constantly about the food, service and wine - he did this by talking so loudly at his companion that the rest of the room couldn't fail to hear. Another self-interested moron.) 

Yet most people seem to rub along quite nicely. What is it about some people whose egocentricity places them above the manners of we lessser mortals? 

• Like 1

Realtime update: it is now well past 11:00, the time by which all luggage must be in the hallway for disembarkation tomorrow. 

The laundrette is STILL churning along! Somebody is STILL doing their laundry!!!

TTS -- what terrific/terrible examples. By and large, our passenger mix has been lovely, but the laundrette does seem to bring out the worst in some of them. I thought a few folks might actually come to fisticuffs. All the more reason to keep working toward my 100 days and free laundry 🙂

Until then, I'll enjoy the Hong Kong skyline for one final night onboard. Laundry scuffles aside, this has been a stellar, near-perfect 2 weeks onboard the Silver Shadow.

1 hour ago, Unibok said:

Realtime update: it is now well past 11:00, the time by which all luggage must be in the hallway for disembarkation tomorrow. 

The laundrette is STILL churning along! Somebody is STILL doing their laundry!!!

TTS -- what terrific/terrible examples. By and large, our passenger mix has been lovely, but the laundrette does seem to bring out the worst in some of them. I thought a few folks might actually come to fisticuffs. All the more reason to keep working toward my 100 days and free laundry 🙂

Until then, I'll enjoy the Hong Kong skyline for one final night onboard. Laundry scuffles aside, this has been a stellar, near-perfect 2 weeks onboard the Silver Shadow.

1 hour ago, Unibok said:

TTS -- what terrific/terrible examples. By and large, our passenger mix has been lovely, but the laundrette does seem to bring out the worst in some of them. I thought a few folks might actually come to fisticuffs. All the more reason to keep working toward my

2 hours ago, Unibok said:

100 days and free laundry 🙂

🙂

Wow, I guess we have been very fortunate or have always been surrounded by others with many hundreds of days.  We don't use the laundromats but have never heard or seen any arguments or other conflicts in the area.  Hope this hasn't jinxed us for the upcoming cruise! 

Unibok -  We have so enjoyed reading your posts.  I sincerely hope our paths cross in the not too distant future.  Your insight and the quality of your narrative is superb.  Thank you so much for the wonderful posts.

Safe travels home.

Wellseasoned - The packing has started in earnest and other than a few hiccups, we should be more than ready to depart next Thursday.  See you Saturday in Singapore.  Hi to Mrs. Wellseasoned!

We have just reserved suite 625, as the most midship suite still available on the Shadow.  It will be the most forward location we have been in.   On sea days, did you notice motion a lot in your 626?   My husband is very susceptible to motion sickness, so I am wondering if you think that might be a problem.

I have especially enjoyed your report of your cruise.   Thank you very much for taking the time to share your insights!  

9 minutes ago, brumagin1 said:

We have just reserved suite 625, as the most midship suite still available on the Shadow.  It will be the most forward location we have been in.   On sea days, did you notice motion a lot in your 626?   My husband is very susceptible to motion sickness, so I am wondering if you think that might be a problem.

Thank you for your kind words! We had 4 sea days on this 2-week voyage, the second of which had the roughest seas we encountered: lots of white caps and rather large waves. That was the day I returned from Cambodia, and was so tired I spend much of the day in my suite. In retrospect, I wonder if the seas weren't also part of my problem that day -- I slept for about 14 hours. The butler supplied me with broth, ginger ale, and candied ginger. A few days later, I did hear that assorted people all over the ship weren't feeling well. 

Otherwise, I would say I felt as much motion in that suite as I have felt on a lower deck and more mid-ship. It was a good location for me -- I can feel queasy in rough seas, but seem to have a tougher stomach than past travel companions, so I think of myself as pretty average ... but, don't we all at some level?

If your husband is very susceptible to motion sickness, and you can tell that your voyage will include several days beyond the continental shelf in the deeper sea, you might consider a lower deck. It is such a personal thing, that I hesitate to say anything for certain.

• 4 years later...

What an interesting set of conversations, I was laughing out loud at some of the responses, well done. The longest cruise we have had so far was a 20 day Regent and I used the laundry rooms often, mainly for pressing shirts.From even before departure from Sydney the laundry rooms were in use, and I made some good friends there, conversations friendly and lively and we all agreed a glass of champagne would be a good idea whilst working there. Sometimes machines cycles were completed and no one seemed to mind their items being unloaded and folded for them. I look forward to my 23 day Silversea cruise next May, and hope to make good use of the laundry room on my deck. Bon Voyage everyone.

We got off the Shadow a few weeks ago.  The launderette can be problematic, if people aren't thoughtful and polite.  There are hours posted on the door, I'm sure to protect those suites located nearby.  We were always surprised to see the launderette being used outside those hours.  Very inconsiderate.