Governor's Beach worth it?

CruzControl

4 hours ago, rtap23 said:

Ok so just got back from Grand Turk. There are now 2 outfits renting chairs and umbrellas. They have about 30 loungers and about 20 umbrellas each.  I rented 2 chairs and 1 umbrella for $20. It was late in the day so not sure if this is the regular price. They are also selling rum punch, beer,soda,water,and snacks

Just wondering...when you say they are selling rum punch, beer, soda, water, and snacks...is it out of the little buildings there? Or they just going up and down the beach selling things?

20 hours ago, rtap23 said:

Ok so just got back from Grand Turk. There are now 2 outfits renting chairs and umbrellas. They have about 30 loungers and about 20 umbrellas each.  I rented 2 chairs and 1 umbrella for $20. It was late in the day so not sure if this is the regular price. They are also selling rum punch, beer,soda,water,and snacks

Was that at Governors Beach? or on the beach next to the cruise port?

16 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Just wondering...when you say they are selling rum punch, beer, soda, water, and snacks...is it out of the little buildings there? Or they just going up and down the beach selling things?

One lady had a table set up and the other lady was using the old shack that has been there forever. I’m pretty sure she just pulls in there and sets up. The shacks are still in rough shape

According to some reviews on TA. this is a recent development and it does appear that a ship excursion island tour stops there near at the end of the tour, thus probably explaining the presence of more people late in the day.

prices for umbrella and loungers appear in line with the vendors at the cruise center, so could be the same people.

As it's a long beach, doubting it will ever get crowded, but good to know these things are once again available.

This is disappointing to hear. I've read that there's not much to see when snorkeling at Governor's, so the only reason we wanted to go was because I've read (on multiple websites) that it's a good place to find sea glass. We always go to the southern end to snorkel and get away from the crowds, so we were going to use Governor's specifically for this. If it's a stop on a tour now, the sea glass will probably be picked clean on a regular basis.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:13 AM, crewsweeper said:

Go early in the day on arrival.

Yeah, we could beat the tours, especially if they don't arrive there until the end of their tour, but as I mentioned, we only want to go to Governor's to collect sea glass. If it's now a tour destination, I'm sure most of it will have been picked clean. We won't be there until March.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/27/2019 at 1:56 AM, kaiiak said:

We were at Governor's Beach last week and absolutely loved it. There is not food/drink service but that was fine for us.  We brought a few cold drinks from the ship.  It cost us $4 each one way in a taxi (tourist van) and was a quick ride there. The water is beautiful and calm. We paid somebody to rent two chairs for $20. There was a bathroom nearby.  My 10 year old absolutely loved it and said it was the best beach ever (we live in Southern California and go to the beach often too).  It is so hot that 2 hours at the beach was plenty for us and then we returned to the port area, looked at the shops and headed back to the ship for a late lunch (that is free). I highly recommend Gov Beach. The Margaritaville area looked like a madhouse with so many people.

Was it hard finding a taxi back to the pier area?

On 5/23/2019 at 11:20 PM, Banks822 said:

Yes! It is a great place to get sea glass. We go there every time we cruise to Grand Turk and we love it. You can also do some good snorkeling around the big washed up ship. 

How did you get to Governor’s Beach? Walkable or have to take a taxi?

• 4 months later...

We were there in 2014.  At the time, there was a an entire visitors center type situation.  They had snorkel rentals, beach chairs, showers, bathrooms, a bar and food available.  There was also an small old derelict ship in the water that you could snorkel around and sometimes fish would be swimming under.  We had a great time there and it was a nice beach.  Got there via a driver with a golf cart.

In 2017 they had a big hurricane and apparently most of that area's buildings and the beach were severely damaged.  They eventually removed ship as well.  For at least several years the word was that this area was closed to the public.  Apparently the local see an opportunity here and are moving back into the area.  I may have to stop on our next cruise in Dec.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:31 PM, mississauga said:

How did you get to Governor’s Beach? Walkable or have to take a taxi?

Walkable.  Around 20 minutes. You'll need to exit the cruise port and walk along the side of the road.  But it's not too far.

For a soft sand route,  just head up to Jack's Shack and exit to the road.