Cruise of New York in January? Crazy?

browniegirl

Hi all, I recently booked an 11 day cruise of NY on NCL leaving January 2nd, 2020.  After booking, I had some comments that this is a really bad bad bad time to cruise out of New York due to weather and honestly,  I hadn't even thought of that.... I am coming from the west coast.   

The last thing I want is to tempt fate and be stressed for next 2 years on whether we would even get to New York on time for the cruise -come a couple days early...  what are peoples recommendations?  Cancel and rebook out of a warmer port to be safe?  Also the first 2 days of cruise wont be warm, so maybe.....

thanks!  I am on the fence!

Leah

We cruise out of Baltimore, with similar weather, every winter.  It's fine -- unless the point of a cruise, to you, is to be in hot weather.  You'll get there, but it will most likely be cool or cold initially.  We like that; only you can decide if you will. I would recommend getting there at least one day before the cruise, though, especially if you need more than one flight.

But that would be the case if you were to fly to Florida, too.

8 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We cruise out of Baltimore, with similar weather, every winter.  It's fine -- unless the point of a cruise, to you, is to be in hot weather.  You'll get there, but it will most likely be cool or cold initially.  We like that; only you can decide if you will. I would recommend getting there at least one day before the cruise, though, especially if you need more than one flight.

But that would be the case if you were to fly to Florida, too.

Thank you1  Well yes warm weather is my ultimate mission haha being from the west coast of Canada.  The cold weather/snow doesn't bother me at all but was just worried about flying in/out of NY during that time frame and possible weather delays etc.    I would definitely come in 2 days at least before as getting there is a somewhat long haul from Vancouver Island.  My main reason cruising out of NY was to see NY at xmas as it looks gorgeous but I probably wouldn't get to see much in only 2 days....   It's a tough call!

Oh if you’re going to couple it with seeing NYC at Christmas that’s a different story.   But if your Cruise is Jan 2, two days early would be 12/31 and 01/01. The city is packed in New Years Eve and lots of places are closed New Years Eve. 

1 minute ago, Got2Cruise said:

Oh if you’re going to couple it with seeing NYC at Christmas that’s a different story.   But if your Cruise is Jan 2, two days early would be 12/31 and 01/01. The city is packed in New Years Eve and lots of places are closed New Years Eve. 

Yes I absolutely hear you.... and honestly, hadn't thought through this itinerary before I booked....ugh!  Maybe will rebook either this itinerary at a later time or to a warmer port :)

We are booked for January 16th

I recently asked someone who sailed in Feb about the weather

He said the end of the second day sailing it was just over 70

So there’s a bit of indoor time but remember there is lots to do and there is also a very nice indoor pool area.

😊 Go for it

• Like 1

There's a bit of cold weather, maybe rougher seas on day 1.  Combining with a Christmas visit to NYC is a bonus.  If you are worried about getting there in time for your cruise, that is what trip insurance is for.

• Like 1

We're on the (infamous) Norwegian Escape Jan. 6th for 15 days, NY to W. Caribbean this year and sea was calm, except for several hours on the morning of day 14 (last sea day heading back "home") - folks were in shorts by Day 2's afternoon as we're in the Carolinas by then.  Great weather in almost all the scheduled port stops, except for Costa Maya ... we didn't care for Port Canaveral but others took off for downtown Orlando.  

The advice of not self-insured, having a good travel/trip insurance; and, drive/travel/flying in 1 to 2 days early ... are best practices for all four seasons, whether it's Spring, Hurricane & Fall season since you can depend on your "trusty" legacy airline to reroute you on a confirmed rebooking & not lost your checked luggage.    

Finding a "reasonable" 2 nights hotel package around the New Year - that - is a challenge, depending on one's hotel affinity, status & (unlikely) options of redemption of points.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

We're on the (infamous) Norwegian Escape Jan. 6th for 15 days, NY to W. Caribbean this year and sea was calm, except for several hours on the morning of day 14 (last sea day heading back "home") - folks were in shorts by Day 2's afternoon as we're in the Carolinas by then.  Great weather in almost all the scheduled port stops, except for Costa Maya ... we didn't care for Port Canaveral but others took off for downtown Orlando.  

The advice of not self-insured, having a good travel/trip insurance; and, drive/travel/flying in 1 to 2 days early ... are best practices for all four seasons, whether it's Spring, Hurricane & Fall season since you can depend on your "trusty" legacy airline to reroute you on a confirmed rebooking & not lost your checked luggage.    

Finding a "reasonable" 2 nights hotel package around the New Year - that - is a challenge, depending on one's hotel affinity, status & (unlikely) options of redemption of points.  

Thank you, very good advice!  haha, the one thing I hadn't thought of was the fact that we would be arriving around new years eve and as the world knows, it's a very busy place in NY!!!  Doubt I doubt even get a hotel package.....guess I didn't plan this very well lol!!!!

Agree with some previous posters-- having lived in midtown Manhattan for many years, Manhattan is absolute amateur hour over New Years Eve. No real New Yorkers go to Times Square normally (if it can be avoided), but especially over New Years. 

If you do come-- try and find a hotel downtown or on the Upper East Side-- it will at least shield you from some of the mayhem. There are plenty of charming things to see and do with the holidays without venturing into the mess. 

Thanks for the advice..... if I do choose this one, I will definitely look for a hotel where suggested!!!   and will check out hotels earlier rather than later!!! 

I have been told that NY is much better in the spring...…..so maybe I should take that advice haha!

On 3/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, browniegirl said:

worried about flying in/out of NY during that time frame and possible weather delays etc.  

Keep in mind that weather anywhere in the country can affect flights elsewhere in the country, so even if the weather turns out to be great in New York, your aircraft or flight crew could be coming in from Detroit, for example, and Detroit could be in the middle of a blizzard, and you could have issues with your flight as a result.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:45 PM, Got2Cruise said:

The city is packed in New Years Eve and lots of places are closed New Years Eve. 

Not to mention expensive!  Hotels will cost more, Uber will be using surge pricing, etc.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:24 PM, mking8288 said:

folks were in shorts by Day 2's afternoon as we're in the Carolinas by then.  

You were fortunate, but others should know that those temps are not consistent.  I live Charleston, which would be near the southermost part of the Carolinas, and I always tell people that from November to March the weather here is a crap shoot.  It could be 40 or it could be 80 at just about any time during that window and I've seen both occur regularly, sometimes just days apart.   A year ago around New Years we had several days in a row when the temps hovered around freezing 24/7.  On an 11 day cruise like the OP is taking, you'd still have a week of good weather once in the Caribbean, but anyone booking this itinerary should understand that the 2nd day of cruising could still be very cold.

• Like 1

Thanks Meg!  So many awesome points that I simply didn't consider when booking this cruise.... not having sailed from this port before I just didn't think haha!

We have never had a problem sailing from florida or LA before in the winter, so I guess that is a sign lol.... we have had delays yes like you mention because other areas are affected also but nothing drastic and I always always go 2-3 days early for that reason alone!  No way I am missing a cruise lol!!!

Thanks again.

Leah

We've cruised from New York in winter several times, and from Baltimore on Royal Caribbean this past  Feb. 2.   Every time, we have found ourselves in the 70+ degree waters of the Gulf Stream by afternoon of the first sea day- less than 24 hours after sailing. On the way back, your last full day will be chilly.

If you shop around, you should find acceptably priced hotel room.   Speaking as a native New Yorker (now living in Connecticut), if  you must experience Times Square on New Year's Eve, do it by watching it on your hotel room TV.  Also, not many places are closed on New Year's Eve - booked solid, or crowded perhaps, but not closed.

We cruise out of Manhattan every January (except this year) and have been doing so for many years. I lived in NYC nearly my entire life and my feeling is that there is nothing like Times Square on New Years eve and everyone should endeavor to experience this at least once in their life. I was there to see 1963 come in . Every year since I have watched it on TV.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

We've cruised from New York in winter several times, and from Baltimore on Royal Caribbean this past  Feb. 2.   Every time, we have found ourselves in the 70+ degree waters of the Gulf Stream by afternoon of the first sea day- less than 24 hours after sailing.

That's great!  But again, it is not consistent.  The water may be 70+ in the gulfstream, but on a moving ship that air can feel COLD!   We sailed out of Port Canaveral once in February and it was too chilly to stay by the pool bar when the ship left port that afternoon, even with jackets.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We cruise out of Manhattan every January (except this year) and have been doing so for many years. I lived in NYC nearly my entire life and my feeling is that there is nothing like Times Square on New Years eve and everyone should endeavor to experience this at least once in their life. I was there to see 1963 come in . Every year since I have watched it on TV.

I agree....I have only watched it on tv but to be honest not sure I could handle that crowd haha, rather see Times Square when its not that crazy lol!  TV is fine or from my hotel lol!!  NY looks amazing at Christmas and one day I would like to get there to see it.  Maybe I should consider switching my cruise to before Christmas, I think it ends on the 22nd, that way I would still see the lights etc but not the craziness of new years?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 4:13 PM, browniegirl said:

Hi all, I recently booked an 11 day cruise of NY on NCL leaving January 2nd, 2020.  After booking, I had some comments that this is a really bad bad bad time to cruise out of New York due to weather and honestly,  I hadn't even thought of that.... I am coming from the west coast.   

The last thing I want is to tempt fate and be stressed for next 2 years on whether we would even get to New York on time for the cruise -come a couple days early...  what are peoples recommendations?  Cancel and rebook out of a warmer port to be safe?  Also the first 2 days of cruise wont be warm, so maybe.....

thanks!  I am on the fence!

Leah

We’ve enjoyed 2 cruises out of New York City in January on NCL Spirit. Loved it. First night the weather can be rough but you’re inside relaxing and enjoying food and shows. Also did a Ncl Dawn out of NYC.

Seperately 3 out of Bayonne in January or February.

2 out of Baltimore in January or February.

Our reasonings are we drive down a day early staying at a park sleep cruise with breakfast and parking and shuttle. Recently on Grandeur February out of Baltimore $139 for hotel best western plus elk ridge Maryland. Similar for New York City a bit more expensive.

Drive from New England for us is worth avoiding flights and delays and cancellations.

Don’t get me wrong if I could I would fly to Florida for a cruise but my back kills me flying. Give it a try you might like it.

I’m amazed that some fly from Europe and cruise out of nyc or Bayonne in the winter. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Suggest you change the dates of your cruise.  If you want to see NYC at Christmas time; that is one thing.  I have stayed at the Doubletree at times square.  Price in Aug around $170, price for 27-31 Dec, $1000.  Talk about price hikes.  And the front desk told me the rooms are booked a year in advance.  

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, AF-1 said:

Suggest you change the dates of your cruise.  If you want to see NYC at Christmas time; that is one thing.  I have stayed at the Doubletree at times square.  Price in Aug around $170, price for 27-31 Dec, $1000.  Talk about price hikes.  And the front desk told me the rooms are booked a year in advance.  

Hi yes, I did just actually change the cruise.  After all the great advice here, I thought about it and didn't want the added stress of worry of weather, hotels etc..... so I just changed it to a day later out of Miami lol.... shorter cruise but at least the weather should be warmer off the get go and not as stressful worrying about storms and hotels!  thanks again!

7 minutes ago, browniegirl said:

Hi yes, I did just actually change the cruise.  After all the great advice here, I thought about it and didn't want the added stress of worry of weather, hotels etc..... so I just changed it to a day later out of Miami lol.... shorter cruise but at least the weather should be warmer off the get go and not as stressful worrying about storms and hotels!  thanks again!

Good for you.  Can't go wrong with Miami in Dec/Jan

• Like 1