Huatulco Excursions

CarolandNate

Going on Emerald Princess to Panama Canal in December, 3rd to 18th, LA to Ft. Lauderdale.  One of our stops, Huatulco, Mexico, is early on.  While we have most of our ports covered with pre-books, this is one that we will wait for until we get to the ship.  We do however, want to get an idea of what others think about possible excursions.  We will book through the cruiseline, so there are some limits. 

What about Huatulco stands out?  What types of excursions are unique to the port?  It looks like there are a number of cruises around the bays or rivers.  Therer are also several that get out into the countryside.  For those who have been there, would you suggest one type over another. Is there anything worthwhile in the city.  Of all of the places we are visiting, this appears to be one that would be a possible one for piggybacking.  Tour in the morning, get back and then head to city on our own for a little bit.  Is that a viable plan?  Looking for thoughts.

17 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Have you done any reading on the Mexican Riviera board, under Ports of Call?  EM

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/124-mexican-riviera/

Not for some time.  What I remember seeing was pretty general and tough to navigate through.  Looking to get some specifics from people who have been there.

Bear in mind I usually don't do a lot of sun, swim, sand stuff, so none of those activities are on my "to do" list as far as shore excursions.  So as far as Huatulco goes for me, it is sort of a bland port and while I enjoyed the excursions we took there just not was a bunch to write home about.  Once we were there during the Day of the Dead holiday an spent a little time in the town of La Cruceita, don't know if the holiday had any impact on the goings on in the town or not, but it was quiet.  Another time took a bird watching hike... not that I am a birder, but that was fine.  The last time I was there (Dec) just grabbed a cab to let my daughter get some pictures of the area and we wound up back in La Cruceita... it was little more active than the last time, but then again nothing to really point to as a must do.  You can get some great pictures of your ship from the overlook of the pier.

To me the more interesting aspect of the Hualtulco area is what kind of weather you will be treated as you cross the Gulf of Tehuantepec.  A good part of the year the mountain passes on the Isthmus of Tehuantepec channel winds into the Pacific and it can cause a more lively passage through that body of water.:classic_smile:

48 minutes ago, CarolandNate said:

Not for some time.  What I remember seeing was pretty general and tough to navigate through.  Looking to get some specifics from people who have been there.

The point is that the better place to both ask your question research this port is on the Mexican Riviera board, not the Panama Canal board. Just by scrolling through the threads on the Mexican Riviera board you're going to find some information on this particular port, although there may not be a lot since it's not as frequent a cruise ship call as many other Mexican Riviera ports. For example during the entire month of December, 2019 only five ships  are scheduled to visit Huatulco according to cruisetimetables.com.

If you ask your question there, in addition to here, it's more likely to catch the eye of cruisers who have been to Huatulco. 

Edited by njhorseman

50 minutes ago, BillB48 said:

Bear in mind I usually don't do a lot of sun, swim, sand stuff, so none of those activities are on my "to do" list as far as shore excursions.  So as far as Huatulco goes for me, it is sort of a bland port and while I enjoyed the excursions we took there just not was a bunch to write home about.  Once we were there during the Day of the Dead holiday an spent a little time in the town of La Cruceita, don't know if the holiday had any impact on the goings on in the town or not, but it was quiet.  Another time took a bird watching hike... not that I am a birder, but that was fine.  The last time I was there (Dec) just grabbed a cab to let my daughter get some pictures of the area and we wound up back in La Cruceita... it was little more active than the last time, but then again nothing to really point to as a must do.  You can get some great pictures of your ship from the overlook of the pier.

To me the more interesting aspect of the Hualtulco area is what kind of weather you will be treated as you cross the Gulf of Tehuantepec.  A good part of the year the mountain passes on the Isthmus of Tehuantepec channel winds into the Pacific and it can cause a more lively passage through that body of water.:classic_smile:

Bland ! Interesting description.  We kind of saw it the same way, which is why we did not jump to line something up some nine months in advance.  So it's not us.  Huatulco is just.... there.  The other ports have something that makes one say, gotta do this or gotta do that and if we don't that would be disappointing. 

Puerto Vallarta has the beaches and there was one that stood out, at least to us and we jumped on it.  Same with Costa Rica, rainforests, Nicaragua, volcanoes.  There were options in each, but one in each seemed to stand out more, so we booked.  At Fuerte Amador, we went with the Embera Indians, because I was getting a lot of people saying that this was the highlight of their trip.  Good is one thing, highlight is another.  I guess I am easily swayed.  With Cartegena, it is all about the city and there are a lot of variations of seeing the city, so I am confident that one is as good as another and I can wait on that.  Then if all else fails, we can just go in on our own.  It's pretty close.  Huatulco seems like whatever we decide will be fine and there is no need to rush in to book. 

That said, it would be good to know what others think.  Thank you for your insight.

58 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The point is that the better place to both ask your question research this port is on the Mexican Riviera board, not the Panama Canal board. Just by scrolling through the threads on the Mexican Riviera board you're going to find some information on this particular port, although there may not be a lot since it's not as frequent a cruise ship call as many other Mexican Riviera ports. For example during the entire month of December, 2019 only five ships  are scheduled to visit Huatulco according to cruisetimetables.com.

If you ask your question there, in addition to here, it's more likely to catch the eye of cruisers who have been to Huatulco. 

Thanks.  That's a good thought.  I will do that.  Along with what you are saying about Huatulco not being a frequent stopping point, I am also hearing from some that it is---okay, nothing special, bland, etc.  You get the idea.  If there is a stop to just wing it, this appears to be the place.  And it does not sound like one where if we wait until we are on the ship to book, and perhaps get shut out, that we will say, "Oh no, look what we missed !"  But it is good to educate oneself to make an informed decision at some point.

• 4 months later...

Since your cruise isn't happening for a few months I'll jump in here and revive your thread.  We've stopped in Huatulco a number of times and have enjoyed it.  There is a beach right next to the port where you can hang out if that is your thing lots of places with food, drinks, and wi-fi.  We usually take a cab to the Playa La Entrega--it has been $5 each way for a cab, not per person.  We enjoy that beach more because there is snorkeling that can be pretty good if the ocean has not been too stirred up by the passage of the ship.  We've seen lots of fish, turtle, and sting rays in the roped off snorkeling area.  This is where the ship's excursion goes but they arrive by boat.  You can take a water taxi, too, but it is more expensive than a cab.  You can also take a small boat trip to view several of the bays of Huatulco which I think is around $25 per person.  You would arrange that at the little marina near the shops once you get off the ship. 

If you are a birder, your ship may have a tour for that.  And, there is a small town nearby you can walk to or take a cheap cab (probably less than $5) called La Crucecita.  Not much there to see, but there is a church with an interesting ceiling and various restaurants and bars.  Apparently there is a nice waterfall out of town somewhere but a long excursion.

Edited by mcmarya

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carol and Nate. We are doing that same cruise, but on different dates and I agree that nothing stood out for Huatulco! I am not a big fan of ship excursions, and prefer a smaller private tour whenever possible. Here’s what I found, and what we are booked to do when we dock in Huatulco:

“Transportation is provided, pick up is at 9:15 at the cruise ship dock, from there is a fifteen  minute ride to  the cooking class room located in beautiful La Bocana beach. Drinks are also provided and we'll eat what we prepare.
Alfredo Patiño Ramirez

Wahaca Cooking

Alfredos Restaurant Bar”

Alfredo’s website offers a variety of cooking classes, so we chose to learn how to makes tamales and a variety of moles! Here’s hoping it’s a fun and interesting outing!

Cheryl

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crafter188 said:

Hi Carol and Nate. We are doing that same cruise, but on different dates and I agree that nothing stood out for Huatulco! I am not a big fan of ship excursions, and prefer a smaller private tour whenever possible. Here’s what I found, and what we are booked to do when we dock in Huatulco:

“Transportation is provided, pick up is at 9:15 at the cruise ship dock, from there is a fifteen  minute ride to  the cooking class room located in beautiful La Bocana beach. Drinks are also provided and we'll eat what we prepare.
Alfredo Patiño Ramirez

Wahaca Cooking

Alfredos Restaurant Bar”

Alfredo’s website offers a variety of cooking classes, so we chose to learn how to makes tamales and a variety of moles! Here’s hoping it’s a fun and interesting outing!

Cheryl

I have contacted them and they have sent me something.  I need to check it out.  The kicker might be that we are there on a Sunday and some of the other cooking places are not open on Sundays. 

Our master plan was to to do the Rural Communities and Traditions Tour, which has demos for tamales, taco and visits to banana and citrus plantations.  Note the common food theme here.  There are some aspects that were just okay, but, well you can't have everything, right!  The whole trip is four hours

We were thinking of doing that in the morning and then on the way back to the ship, ask the driver to drop us off in La Crucecita, where we could hang out for a couple of hours, eat, look at stuff, etc.  Then we would grab a cab for another hour and ask them to take us along the coast to see some viewpoints.

This is REALLY interesting !!!.  What I would really like is to do this, be able to spend some time in La Crucecita and also do some sightseeing along the coast.  The tricky part is to make it work logistically.  So if this place is open to classes on Sundays, hmmmm !!

Hi CarolandNate!

We are going to be on the same cruise with you.  We have chosen Rural Communities and Traditions tour.  We have never been this port so it sounded as good as any.  We signed up for the morning tour and figured we could wonder around if there is anything close by the ship.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:12 AM, crafter188 said:

Alfredo Patiño Ramirez

Wahaca Cooking

Alfredos Restaurant Bar”

Cheryl

I wanted to communicate with you directly.  My email is ncrose   at  comcast   dot net.  Can you send me yours.

BTW when is your cruise and when are you going to Huatulco.  Is it a Sunday like us?

Nate

45 minutes ago, CarolandNate said:

I wanted to communicate with you directly.  My email is ncrose   at  comcast   dot net.  Can you send me yours.

BTW when is your cruise and when are you going to Huatulco.  Is it a Sunday like us?

Nate

I sent you an email.

Cheryl

On 7/27/2019 at 5:02 PM, CenTexGal said:

Hi CarolandNate!

We are going to be on the same cruise with you.  We have chosen Rural Communities and Traditions tour.  We have never been this port so it sounded as good as any.  We signed up for the morning tour and figured we could wonder around if there is anything close by the ship.

I hope you didn't do so because I did such a great sell job.  We actually have decided on a cooking lesson, not a demo.  While the RC and T was pretty good sounding, this is the dream excursion.  In fact, it was the food aspects of the RC and T that attracted us over the other ship's tours.  Had we been aware of this cooking class at the outset and that it would be available on the Sunday we are there, we likely would not have been so high on the RC and T.  That is good the cooking is better, at least for us.   I am going to post the cooking to this roll call, as they have room for 12.  Keep in mind, cancelling a ship's tour is something you can up to five days before.  If you did it CC, no problem.  If you did it through OBCs, you get them back.

As far as stuff closer to the ship.  There Santa Cruz Market is right behind terminal with black pottery, silver and other crafts and from what I read, not your typical tourist trap.  You just walk around the beaches that are close by.  You can a cab and take a tour along the coast to the bays and viewpoints.  Had we done the RC and T, we were thinking of getting dropped off in La Crucecita, where there are places with pottery, silver and chocolate and a 300 year old church.  It is a mile from the ship, a 4 minute cab ride ($5) or a 15 minute walk.  We may still do that if we have time after the cooking.  They will drop us off in the city if we ask.  If time is an issue, we may just go back and wander around the area.

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

Anyone interested in a cooking lesson in Huatulco? After a disappointing search for cooking lessons (because we are in port on a Sunday,) we found Alfredo of “Wahaca Cooking” and have arranged to cook with him (see below for menu). His school is located near the Eco-Arqueologic Park, about 15 minutes from the ship along the coast. He will pick the participants up at the port at 9:15. We prepare and then enjoy the meal, returning to port by 2:00. The cost is $75 per person if reservations are made now. Prices will increase for the new season by the end of August. Payment can be made on the day of the excursion by credit card, cash, or PayPal. Reservations are necessary and limited to 12 people. No deposit is required, and you can cancellations should be made at least 48 hours in advance.

You can learn more about this experience at his website, https://wahacacooking.mx/ or Facebook Page, https://www.facebook.com/Wahaca-Cooking-1424468024442805/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARBFmYwYLXcFpz09DLGTh9hk-BHMiKzrHKTKMm3v3C0wdElXxohAMuQdE5HCduqheltcIxj7w7u9PTPt&hc_ref=ARR2vmSTxsOhltw43GmE4bk0BXSmI1IavKzTg2qltJohjW6yc6rv5TkYxwL8JplX1Sw&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARBgJ6-7UMwAL6fEfo5OWb54ogGonq8xrcqPkH5OAPA3tL4m2cMzoZBqLqbkZN0L3XorjMbPrblzL1_YSF9j5EXVVFOruBPeCRREpwWi_F0aUfufdlUjLpJLKOhSz5cNT3Z6WiVF-coDfw1CDbeiGojkfutrfqj5M3AIU_YVx2u2OIKTI1wCW-BbdnNCiUJjW7-noz7d71KvwxW7G_LqhYCYH1jfLD16fQxBwZwBpJ1V7Lm0XE9KWDKVskpZFSKmcsnc44lSIOOkcgIurpuAlDN9jUoLKhsSjX_KGGL9_xhZk4hyOC9N6-nKfGXB62uzTEK_tcE. You can find reviews on Facebook or Trip Advisor.

Alfredo also own a restaurant in La Crucecita.

Here is the menu we will prepare and eat: Tamales- Tamales de Mole Negro in banana leaves, Tamales de Yellow Mole in corn husk, Yellow Mole from scratch, Hand-made tortillas

The class is in English, and participants actually help to prepare the meal. It is not a demonstration. While cooking, Alfredo will share his stories and memories from growing up in rural Oaxaca (pronounced Waw-Haw-Kaw), which you will note is name of his cooking class.

Reservations should be made directly with Alfredo. In talking to him over the last few days, we have found he and his wife to be very responsive and personable.   My wife and I are interested in stopping in La Crucecita that afternoon if time allows.  He has agreed to drop us off there after the cooking class. If we decide to do this, we will have to take a cab (about $5, one mile) back to the ship. It is also a 15 minute or so walk.

Let us know if you decide to do this- it sounds like a lot of fun!

37 minutes ago, CarolandNate said:

I hope you didn't do so because I did such a great sell job.  We actually have decided on a cooking lesson, not a demo.  While the RC and T was pretty good sounding, this is the dream excursion.  In fact, it was the food aspects of the RC and T that attracted us over the other ship's tours.  Had we been aware of this cooking class at the outset and that it would be available on the Sunday we are there, we likely would not have been so high on the RC and T.  That is good the cooking is better, at least for us.   I am going to post the cooking to this roll call, as they have room for 12.  Keep in mind, cancelling a ship's tour is something you can up to five days before.  If you did it CC, no problem.  If you did it through OBCs, you get them back.

As far as stuff closer to the ship.  There Santa Cruz Market is right behind terminal with black pottery, silver and other crafts and from what I read, not your typical tourist trap.  You just walk around the beaches that are close by.  You can a cab and take a tour along the coast to the bays and viewpoints.  Had we done the RC and T, we were thinking of getting dropped off in La Crucecita, where there are places with pottery, silver and chocolate and a 300 year old church.  It is a mile from the ship, a 4 minute cab ride ($5) or a 15 minute walk.  We may still do that if we have time after the cooking.  They will drop us off in the city if we ask.  If time is an issue, we may just go back and wander around the area.

No, we had already decided on that excursion before I came to Cruise Critic.  I try my best to never cook, so cooking classes would be a total waste!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣. Thanks for the info on the area around the port, that will be very handy.

5 hours ago, CenTexGal said:

No, we had already decided on that excursion before I came to Cruise Critic.  I try my best to never cook, so cooking classes would be a total waste!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣. Thanks for the info on the area around the port, that will be very handy.

Good to know, just wanted to make sure.  Good luck and we'll see you on the ship.

• 3 months later...

I went there last year. We had a wonderful private tour that I booked. I found Enrique with Huatulco Tours . He has a facebook page. I posted in our roll call and got about 6 other couples to join us. We did the city tour. Everyone said the excursion was great. I'm so glad I had found him and booked with him. He loves his country and his home. He's a wonderful person and very passionate about his home. We can't wait to go back and tour with him again. look him up on TripAdvisor. We did the city tour. We were not in port long enough to do the waterfall tour. What ever you choose you can not go wrong with Enrique. Very sweet and family oriented  man. 

Edited by lillulu