The Nightmare that is Seattle

Joolsverne

As others have already observed on this forum, the disconnect between Seattle and the wonderful Windstar crew continues.  We recently introduced English friends to Windstar who loved it and were keen to book another cruise with the excellent onboard Windstar Consultant who had spent alot of time drumming up trade.   It is a 30 day cruise and many wonderful 'perks' were on offer.  We were on the cruise with them but (only just) managed to resist. 

They were somewhat surprised when he came back to them looking somewhat embarrassed,  to say that Head Office had decreed that they must book through the UK Agent  that they had previously used for their first( and only Windstar cruise).  They duly spent hours in port calling UK from Windsurf  and eventually got the Agent to take over the booking - to then be told that the promised perks only applied to Americans.  Well done Windstar,  how to shoot yourself in the foot.  Who is the person at Seattle (we gather it is a he) who is insisting on this ridiculous and unfriendly policy.  What is the point of having a cruise consultant on board?  Windstar Cruise Consultants - you have my sympathy - Seattle, sort yourselves out.

2 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

This happens with all cruise lines; prices and perks often are confined to residents of specific countries.  There are often complaints about this, especially from U.K. and Australian residents.

But on other forums I often read about Brits who are able to book through US travel agents to get the US sales and perks.  [Maybe not whilst onboard, though...]

Well the poor Windstar Consultant had clearly not been briefed properly.  We gathered that this is a new policy currently being enforced by Seattle and it seems no one had bothered to tell him.  Its interesting to hear that other cruise lines also restrict perks - since they are all advertised online without any disclaimer that I have managed to find.  Any UK Company would certainly be in breach of the law if they  tried to do this.    As for the onboard booking, we also sail Seabourn and there is no problem at all booking onboard with their Cruise consultant, even though we normally use an agent.  Does this mean that the onboard Consultant is only for those who have never used an agent?  As Rugrats has pointed out,  the Consultant should indeed have known - but it does seem that no one from Head Office had bothered to tell him about this new rule.  I'm not at all clear what Seattle hopes to gain by it.  

There was a sort of happy ending because the UK Agent eventually agreed to fund the perks themselves, just as our friends were thinking of giving up.  I'm not sure what Seattle thinks it gains by this sort of nickel and diming because it loses them far more in terms of goodwill.  In the end as usual, it was the ship and the Windstar crew who saved the day and it was their magic that made our friends want to put this behind them and book another cruise - despite Seattle.

Maybe it has nothing to do with WS or the UK agent but consumers laws in UK, Australia, etc.??

For example, When booking a car thru Expedia (Canada), I have to fork extra for insurance. When booking thru Expedia (France), same price but insurance included. As a Canadian I cannot get this deal (I might but if the Rental Company notice, then I'll have to fork the difference.)

22 minutes ago, dandee2 said:

Maybe it has nothing to do with WS or the UK agent but consumers laws in UK, Australia, etc.??

For example, When booking a car thru Expedia (Canada), I have to fork extra for insurance. When booking thru Expedia (France), same price but insurance included. As a Canadian I cannot get this deal (I might but if the Rental Company notice, then I'll have to fork the difference.)

I think you are right.  There are different rules, protections, taxes for each region/country that contribute to all of that.  Travel Insurance in the EU for example is WAY cheaper.

I travel with a Brit, and we often notice a huge difference in price and offerings (each place has its perks).  We book accordingly.  Having an address and telephone number in both places makes it possible for us.

I am not sure the exact reason, but most places say this offer is only valid for US residents or UK residents.  We always read the fine print.

My guess is if you try enough cruise agents, they MIGHT find away to sneak you in, but if Windstar has it in their terms and conditions and they are checking, then there will be no luck for you.  All travel agents book directly with windstar.  There is no automatic booking.

Sorry Joolsverne,  check the fine print, if it is listed,  and they are enforcing, you are out of luck.  There is no reason they can't book the UK.  Lots of people have.

1 hour ago, msears101 said:

I think you are right.  There are different rules, protections, taxes for each region/country that contribute to all of that.  Travel Insurance in the EU for example is WAY cheaper.

Travel insurance for Europeans doesn't have to include medical coverage.  So in a way their policies are much more expensive than for Americans because many credit cards here throw in basic travel insurance for free...