Southern Caribbean Cruise in September

Hello! Sorry if this is a silly or repetitive question but my husband and I are thinking about taking a cruise for our anniversary which falls in September.  Generally not a great time for cruising  but we are thinking  of trying to cruise to the ABC islands from Puerto Rico.  I am very skeptical about making these plans and we would be getting travel insurance but everyone we have talked to about it thinks it is a bad idea.  Thoughts from fellow cruisers ???

My understanding is that the ABC islands themselves generally don't get affected by hurricanes. They are considered below the hurricane belt. However, you would still have to sail out from San Juan and south, which would be potentially in the path of hurricanes. We've done this itinerary, but always in November when there is far less danger, so I would definitely get the insurance if you decided to go ahead with your plans.

As an alternative, what about flying to Aruba and doing a land-based vacation?

4 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

My understanding is that the ABC islands themselves generally don't get affected by hurricanes. They are considered below the hurricane belt. However, you would still have to sail out from San Juan and south, which would be potentially in the path of hurricanes. We've done this itinerary, but always in November when there is far less danger, so I would definitely get the insurance if you decided to go ahead with your plans.

As an alternative, what about flying to Aruba and doing a land-based vacation?

Good Post!  People tend to forget there could be tropical storms and/or hurricanes sailing to get to the ABCs.  

• 2 months later...

We sailed out of San Juan in end of September for our anniversary in 2011.  When we flew into San Juan, we thought Hurricane Ophelia was going to ruin our day in San Juan, but she moved out and our entire week was beautiful!  Our itinerary was Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, St. Thomas (I think).  There was definitely a chance for a hurricane but we lucked out.  I didn't purchase the travel insurance.  I didn't really help you out with my response, I realize, but I just wanted to mention that there was definitely supposed to be a hurricane in our path that week and fortunately for us, she moved out.