Cruise Critic Community
Got2Cruise

Who’s booked for 2019 Season?

12 hours ago, wanderingoz said:

We are booked on the Uniworld Ultimate European Journey from Bucharest on 30 Sept. 25 nights but I'm sure we won't be bored.  So looking forward to it. Our first river cruise.

11 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Some people love it and some hate it.

I suppose anything is possible, but for me, the terms "hate" and "river cruising" used together just do not compute!😉

13 hours ago, wanderingoz said:

We are booked on the Uniworld Ultimate European Journey from Bucharest on 30 Sept. 25 nights but I'm sure we won't be bored.  So looking forward to it. Our first river cruise.

It’s impossible to be bored. Everyday a new adventure. Can’t wait to hear about it 

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

I suppose anything is possible, but for me, the terms "hate" and "river cruising" used together just do not compute!😉

Same here😀. It’s the most stress free way to travel. 

Just remember the people who hang around this board are the people who like river cruising. Those that don't are here to complain for one cruise and never come back.

I have done 4 river cruises because they fit the way I enjoy travelling. Even for my previous ocean cruise and the one coming up, I describe it as a river cruise on the ocean, so still in the ball park.

But there are cruisers coming from ocean cruising to river cruising who miss the entertainment, and the multiple  dining venues (I know there are a few more on river cruising than there used to be, but not a lot.)  They sometimes find river cruising very limiting. That was why I made my comment.

16 hours ago, need2travel1 said:

We just booked this morning!  Uniworld's Castles on the Rhine Basel to Amsterdam on July 26, very excited!  I know we'll probably encounter water level issues but that's the date/ pricing that worked best for us (Hub is a teacher so can only travel July-very early August)  Any & all tips/info more than welcome!!.  

1. Do the vinegar farm tour 

2. Go to Heidelberg

3. Climb to the top of the Cologne Cathedral (this is a DIY)

4. In Rudesheim, we chose the active hike instead of winery tour, and really enjoyed it 

Have fun!

Robin 

Posted (edited)

Booked on our first river cruise with Crystal on the Mozart at the end of October. Budapest to Vienna. Leaving from SW Florida so the cooler temps and smaller crowds will be a welcomed change. We'll cross our fingers on water levels! 

Edited by Jimmyford51

2 hours ago, acwmom said:

1. Do the vinegar farm tour 

2. Go to Heidelberg

3. Climb to the top of the Cologne Cathedral (this is a DIY)

4. In Rudesheim, we chose the active hike instead of winery tour, and really enjoyed it 

Have fun!

Robin 

Thanks Robin!  I've been following some of your recommendations for a few trips now & they're all spot on:)

1 hour ago, need2travel1 said:

Thanks Robin!  I've been following some of your recommendations for a few trips now & they're all spot on:)

Unfortunately, you missed out on Mont St. Michel:-(  Of the 4 tours above, all were included except Heidelberg. I don't expect that one to have too little participation to happen. I should mention, we traveled in late March. Your dates could make #3 and #4 a little more taxing, depending on the heat.

Robin

21 hours ago, acwmom said:

Unfortunately, you missed out on Mont St. Michel:-(  Of the 4 tours above, all were included except Heidelberg. I don't expect that one to have too little participation to happen. I should mention, we traveled in late March. Your dates could make #3 and #4 a little more taxing, depending on the heat.

Robin

Missing out on that was a real bummer!  But we figure w/ Castles along the Rhine we've never been to any of the places on the itinerary so any site/town/city is new to us &  that's great.  We've also done almost all of our vacations in July so we're used to the heat.  We hit 109 degrees in Rome once, after that anything feels cool to us!   

On 3/31/2019 at 11:57 PM, gnome12 said:

Just remember the people who hang around this board are the people who like river cruising. Those that don't are here to complain for one cruise and never come back.

In my limited experience I have encountered 4 distinct types of posters here.

- those that wish to research and learn

- those that wish to genuinely assist and share

- those that wish to complain

- and those that wish to pontificate.

I know which of these I listen to. 

On 3/11/2019 at 6:24 PM, CUTTERSAM said:

Off to tip-toe through tulips AMAKristina April 8 from Amsterdam.  Second time of AMA. LOVE LOVE

We're doing the same cruise April 22.  Its also our second time with AMA.  

Susan