Returning to cruising

beachaddict4

It’s been many years since I’ve been on the boards here, and over 10 years since my husband and I have been on a cruise. We had fallen in love with beach stay vacations in Mexico. I’d like to try a cruise again. So much has changed on cruises! Having been on Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean, I think what’s most important is I’d like a newer ship. I’m just overwhelmed by all the information and the best way to book (maybe direct with cruise Line)? Anyway, just checking in and saying hi mostly. 😃 The re-education begins!

Edited by beachaddict4

On 3/7/2019 at 2:14 PM, beachaddict4 said:

It’s been many years since I’ve been on the boards here, and over 10 years since my husband and I have been on a cruise. We had fallen in love with beach stay vacations in Mexico. I’d like to try a cruise again. So much has changed on cruises! Having been on Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean, I think what’s most important is I’d like a newer ship. I’m just overwhelmed by all the information and the best way to book (maybe direct with cruise Line)? Anyway, just checking in and saying hi mostly. 😃 The re-education begins!

To assist us in providing some suggestions, probably best if you could provide some additional preferences, in addition to a preference for newer ships.

New ships you can have everything from the glitzy mega ships to the better quality and spaciousness of premium/luxury ships.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Book with a cruise consultant. 99% of the time better perks and lower prices and a lot of information. They usually have cruised on a lot of ships. Well informed to help. The complimentary food has changed in the last 10 years but no wheres near as the last 25 years. Not for the bitter. The food you had 10 years ago is about the same. Most still serve streak and lobster in the main dining room. Not the same quality it used to be. It is good but not fantastic. A new ship will usually cost a lot more to cruise on. An older ship that was totally refurbished will be like a new ship but no wheres near the cost. Companies that rate from lowest to the best in my book only. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity not the EDGE. Many might switch the princess and Royal. It is a toss up. Carnival and Royal with kids. Princess and Celebrity without. Otherwise make sure you book when school is in session and not during spring break. The Caribbean offers a vast amount of ports to visit. Most all have beaches that are beautiful sparkling blue clean water. Great to see you want to do it all over again. that is very nice. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Agree with Eglesbrech.....a lot has changed in the last 10-12 years.....the food specifically.  "Back in the day", dining was an experience...it's gotten less and less so.  Fewer staff per passenger ratio.....less "feeling special"...more being one of the masses.

If you don't really care about the "feel" of the experience, and just want a vacation with plenty to do, a cruise is a great way to do it.  It just doesn't have the same "feel" as it used to.

• Like 1

We were happy with Holland America Line's newest ships for 55+ cruising. The prices were reasonable and accommodations & food were excellent. The staff was very friendly, professional and the spectacular ports were not crowded. It was a quiet, peaceful cruise during the day without a lot of poolside music, drinking and dancing. If napping, reading, or playing games is your cup of tea during the day, you may love HAL. The evening entertainment consisted of the Lincoln Center Musicians from Milan playing classical music and a dueling piano bar that played Billboard hits through the ages. There were demonstrations from America's Test Kitchen, afternoon tea, and evening shows. I hope you'll find cruising HAL as rewarding as we have.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since retiring we have also made a huge switch to land based vacations-all of which involve oceans and beaches. 

We still like to cruise but only do so as an add on to a longer land trip and they are mostly late booking cruises.  The only cruise that we have booked in advance since retiring eight years ago was South American cruise.  Even then, we wrapped an eight week land trip around this 14 day cruise.

We intend to keep doing this style of travel for as long as we are physically able.  We have made adjustments.  We only do carry on, we are far more flexible and we typically only book land accommodation  few days in advance when we are shopping for a n add on cruise.  We find that the cruise lines have migrated to the lowest common denominator.  Food, service, etc is all about the same.  About the only thing that has improved for us is the migration to casual because we only travel carry on.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:50 AM, CruiseAiderKim said:

We were happy with Holland America Line's newest ships for 55+ cruising. The prices were reasonable and accommodations & food were excellent. The staff was very friendly, professional and the spectacular ports were not crowded. It was a quiet, peaceful cruise during the day without a lot of poolside music, drinking and dancing. If napping, reading, or playing games is your cup of tea during the day, you may love HAL. The evening entertainment consisted of the Lincoln Center Musicians from Milan playing classical music and a dueling piano bar that played Billboard hits through the ages. There were demonstrations from America's Test Kitchen, afternoon tea, and evening shows. I hope you'll find cruising HAL as rewarding as we have.

Appreciate your insight!