Sun Princess Rumours

Have heard a lot of unfavourable comments about the Sun Princess lately from this forum and other forums and I would like some genuine comments as to what the ship is really like today.

The reason is I have booked to cruise on her in March of next year and it is cruising to a area that is very popular and it is one cruise that I never been on before, although I have cruised many times with Princess.

I have heard that she is a rust bucket and that the ship has toilet problems overflowing and continuous smells (sewerage) throughout the ship.

I have also heard great reports about the ship, the staff and the food. I hope that the bad reports are just whinging people who did not get what seat they wanted in the Theatre or had to line up to get into a restaurant or could not get a lounge chair on deck when they wanted them. You have these whingers on every cruise no matter what ship or cruise you go on. I wish they would stay away from cruising altogether.

Sailaway John

We were on the Sun Princess 16 months ago and found it quite OK. It is not the newest ship around but as you say you will get all sorts of people making adverse comments. We were on it for 15 days and had no problems at all. Some things never come up to people's expectations.

We have been on the Sun 6 times last one in December  No problems just the usual glitches that happen on old ships but staff and entertainment etc excellent every time  3 new shows last December

We had read the bad reviews before we booked our b2b2b on the Sun just over a year ago but it didn`t alter our plans.    We have been on the ship several times over the years and yes it is getting older.  There are plumbing problems on virtually every ship, but so far we have missed them.

Wish we still had the Sun sailing out of Brisbane rather than the Sea.  The big + for us is the International Café and on demand Movies on the Sun.  I know you aren`t supposed to go on a cruise to watch movies but sometimes it is just nice to put your feet up and watch something, especially late at night.

1 hour ago, sama10 said:

We had read the bad reviews before we booked our b2b2b on the Sun just over a year ago but it didn`t alter our plans.    We have been on the ship several times over the years and yes it is getting older.  There are plumbing problems on virtually every ship, but so far we have missed them.

Wish we still had the Sun sailing out of Brisbane rather than the Sea.  The big + for us is the International Café and on demand Movies on the Sun.  I know you aren`t supposed to go on a cruise to watch movies but sometimes it is just nice to put your feet up and watch something, especially late at night.

Also had no problems on the Sun a couple of years ago it was our first Princess Cruise,loved it

Wonder why the Sun has the movies by demand when it’s a older ship than the Sea ?

Cheers Carole

26 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Also had no problems on the Sun a couple of years ago it was our first Princess Cruise,loved it

Wonder why the Sun has the movies by demand when it’s a older ship than the Sea ?

Cheers Carole

I believe the Sun went for a big refit a few years ago putting in the International café, on demand tv and a Sushi Bar.  This was all because the Sun was going to be based in Japan.  Unfortunately I don`t think the Japanese were overly impressed by the ship and it was replaced by the Diamond.

Anne 

4 hours ago, joybook said:

We were on the Sun Princess 16 months ago and found it quite OK. It is not the newest ship around but as you say you will get all sorts of people making adverse comments. We were on it for 15 days and had no problems at all. Some things never come up to people's expectations.

I've sailed on Sea, but not Sun. Last December Sea Princess broke down in Cairns. Sure this can happen to any ship, but these two are getting beyond the age where passengers should be relying on them.

I think that there may be some cause for complaint when Princess obviously keeps it's oldest and least appealing ships in the Australian market, yet still charges premium Princess prices.

Are Sea and Sun suitable for a premium cruise line, or are they only suitable for Australia?

Sea Princess is currently the only non-P&O option out of Brisbane and Sun looks like it will become the only Princess option after the new Cruise Terminal is finished.

The same problem also exists with Golden in Melbourne. Fortunately she is going to P&O.

Been on Sun multiple times (as well as Sea). Sun most recently last year, and was still pretty good then. Sun is by far the best of the 3 sisters. It's possible but I'd find it very unlikely she's degraded substantially in the past few months.

(Going on Sea which is my least favourite, and does have some of the conditions you describe).

Sun and Sea may be old but they have a certain charm that is missing from the newer, bigger ships. The wide full circuit promenade deck is wonderful. There are less shops on these ships allowing Crooners to cover the whole atrium area so plenty of seating.

BTW Crystal Symphony, which is one of the best cruise ships in the world, was launched in the same year as Sun. 

We cruised New Zealand on the Sun Princess and I have booked another cruise on this ship for January next year, as well as having plans for yet another cruise on this ship for December 2020.  I think it's a lovely (albeit aging) vessel with good facilities and excellent staff. 

If I had a concern to mention, it would only be that some other cruisers seem to revel in their first world problems when they could spend the time thinking about how lucky we all are to have the time and money to enjoy ourselves and travel the world.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

I think they know the sun and sea and previously the Dawn are good for Australian Pacific cruises as they are small enough to either dock or get closer to the islands for tendering against the bigger less manouverable ships and I prefer only having 1200 people to tender with me instead of 2500

You cannot call the 4 Sun class ships old when none of them are 25 years old until next year.  Built between 1995 [Sun] & 2000 [Oceana] - how long they last with current operators will depend on the estimated costs as they each get to there 5 year major surveys.

Operating for it's final year with CMV is the nearly 73 year old Astoria [ex Stockholm] built in 1946 in Sweden.

Well known for the Andria Doria collision in thick fog off Nantucket in 1956 - later called a radar assisted collision.

There are many old cruise ships operating in Europe including a 4 masted barque built in 1931.

54 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

You cannot call the 4 Sun class ships old when none of them are 25 years old until next year.  Built between 1995 [Sun] & 2000 [Oceana] - how long they last with current operators will depend on the estimated costs as they each get to there 5 year major surveys.

Operating for it's final year with CMV is the nearly 73 year old Astoria [ex Stockholm] built in 1946 in Sweden.

Well known for the Andria Doria collision in thick fog off Nantucket in 1956 - later called a radar assisted collision.

There are many old cruise ships operating in Europe including a 4 masted barque built in 1931.

Compared to the Astoria, they are still babies.

I saw the Sun docked in Sydney last month. I was surprised how rusty she looked. When looking at her from the viewing deck at OPT you could see how badly the rails needed a new coat of varnish which seemed really strange as this is something that is usually done on an ongoing basis. She just looked like they've stopped caring.

24 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I hope it is still able to float and propel herself by the time I board her next year.

Not the Sun, but I'm currently on Sea Princess and our 4pm departure is delayed to 5.45pm due to a total power outage at lunch time.

Last time I was on her she broke down in Cairns and then had a minor fire due to elevrical shorts caused by water leaks.

Like cars, it is possible to keep them running forever. It's just a question of whether it is worthwhile to do so.

1 hour ago, pacificlover said:

I'm booked on the Circle Indian ocean for 46 days on the Sun- I hope that this not a mistake on my part.  The cruise is one that is rarely offered, so in this case the itinerary was my reason for booking, not the ship.

WE are booked on the Sun Princess for the Circle Pacific  April 2020 The 77days itinerary was the reason for our booking, not the ship.

23 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Two great features the Sun has are the anytime TV (love that) and the International Cafe

I agree love the anytime TV for relaxing with a cuppa before bed.